Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.

Post by optix212 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:07 pm
([msg=47528]see Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.[/msg])

Okay, so I've got the rt2870.inf installed via ndiswrapper, but is is still not connecting :(

I don't know what else I need to do to progress.
"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
optix212
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by leroux-cifer on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:57 pm
([msg=47531]see Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.[/msg])

Have you tried connecting to another wifi connection? It may be a problem with encryption. Make sure you select the correct encryption method on your Ubuntu box.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Satires of Juvenal

leroux-cifer
New User
New User

Post by optix212 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:08 pm
([msg=47535]see Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.[/msg])

I can't connect to another wifi connection because the driver for my wireless card isn't even installed, so when I click on the wireless connections tab at the top, it doesn't show any networks in range.
"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
optix212
New User
New User

Post by Sojukar on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:45 pm
([msg=47914]see Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.[/msg])

I have always had bad luck with ndiswrapper and encrypted wifi. Try this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9534492&postcount=34

Sojukar
Basic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11)
Realistic: (1) (2) (3)
Javascript: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
Extbasic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (11)
Sojukar
New User
New User

Post by d3v11 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:43 pm
([msg=48344]see Re: Need help setting up Ubuntu for wireless.[/msg])

optix212 wrote:What is wrong with the dual boot? I have a CD coming in with the full version. But if I can't get on the internet with it, then it's useless.. I'm trying my hardest though.

I mean no offense to anyone when I say this but if someone tells you using windows is wrong, using linux is wrong, using a virtual machine is wrong, dual-booting is wrong, etc, then pay them no mind. Computers and operating systems are a means to an end and everyone has their own way of meeting that end. There is no correct way to meet this end other than the manner that it works for you. The only exception to this IMO is when someone is trying to teach you something or you're simply avoiding a good learning experience because it's "hard" . I congratulate you on wanting to make Ubuntu work for you. Ubuntu isn't the only linux distro out there, as I've used many. I always find my way back to Ubuntu. It's simply a great operating system with an even better community.

As far as fixing your driver, google the linux driver for your card.
Code: Select all
lspci | grep "Network"
# the above will display your wireless card.

Also, if you cannot find your answer here don't forget to try on ubuntuforums.org. There are many great people there who really want to help.
"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." - Sun Tzu
d3v11
New User
New User

Previous

Return to *nix