Social Engineering at its best.

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Re: Social Engineering at its best.

Post by Dwere on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:22 am
([msg=46478]see Re: Social Engineering at its best.[/msg])

That's intense.
My mom is a "SocialMedia" whore, or so I call her. Anyway, she thinks that the internet is no longer so full of "predators" because everybody is using "real names" on stuff like twitter, and facebook and bs. That's just because all of her friends are the developers who use their real names to get real credit.
People - my mother included - put a false trust in the internet because real accounts, are real people using real names. Who's to say that those same real people don't have BS aliases out there still lurking on forums somewhere? They could be scamming just like this.
The truly disheartening thing is that without any legitimized proof posted referring to a NAME of the wholesaler, or ANYTHING to seem legit, these people honestly FELL for the scam. There ought to be more education made available to generalized users of the Internet, to educate them against social engineering scams like this.
-Dwere (David)
Goatboy wrote:
Dwere wrote:I'm not one to start some branch of religion though. Not my thing.

Of course if you wanted to, you could call it the Davidians!
Dwere
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Social Engineering at its best.

Post by Harman-Kahlon on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:11 am
([msg=47709]see Re: Social Engineering at its best.[/msg])

Dwere wrote:The truly disheartening thing is that without any legitimized proof posted referring to a NAME of the wholesaler, or ANYTHING to seem legit, these people honestly FELL for the scam. There ought to be more education made available to generalized users of the Internet, to educate them against social engineering scams like this.

Exactly. To really fall for THAT, either they're 11-year olds living off their mum's credit card, or else they're just a new breed of stupid. Personally, I think it's the latter.

Oh, and the worst thing is that he can just about repeat this process step by step, on some other site with a new nick.

But must say, the last page is HILARIOUS! :D

Will he come back? Let's give the guy a chance.
:lol:
I would love to change the world, but they just wouldn't give me the source code!!
Harman-Kahlon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Social Engineering