9/17 LECTURE: SSH, Computer Forensics, En/Decryption

Discussions on past, current and future HTS lectures and related topics here!

9/17 LECTURE: SSH, Computer Forensics, En/Decryption

Post by Monica on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:32 am
([msg=46008]see 9/17 LECTURE: SSH, Computer Forensics, En/Decryption[/msg])

Friday's Lecture On 9/17... Was successful! Well, semi-successful, but we are almost at the end of the rainbow! We absolutely appreciate the time that you took to participate in the lecture, and I hope you did find the discussion on Computer Forensics interesting! However, we do apologize for the lack of organization since it was a trial run, a PRE-lecture. We did not want to focus on one particular subject, since we assumed there were going to be less than 6 people. Surprisingly, we were WRONG! At the same time, we were very grateful that many have showed up to the lecture!

Because we definitely see that lectures have potential to remain on HackThisSite, we definitely owe you this - more detailed topics, more time for lectures, more organization, and even more entertainment!

So join us NEXT THURSDAY, 9/23 at 7:00 PM EST for the lecture! The hot topic will be on Linux. We will break down to subtopics:

a.) Introduction to Linux
b.) Linux distributions
c.) Installation of Linux
d.) Configuration
e.) Commands-You-Need-To-Know

Of course, we will be utilizing IRC and Ventrilo, as MOST of you found it convenient, entertaining and fun to communicate and enjoy the lectures. IRC and Ventrilo information below:

Ventrilo Server: vent.infinite-gaming.org, Port: 9765
IRC Server: irc.hackthissite.org
IRC Channel: #lecture

SEE YOU ALL THERE! :)
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...

Post by mischief on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:34 am
([msg=46009]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Mumble.
*BSD.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:43 am
([msg=46010]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Monica exaggerates - we weren't very organized, but it was still a good lecture (and we all learned a lot, especially regarding computer forensics).

EDIT: I'm uploading the recording now.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:47 am
([msg=46012]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Monica exaggerates - we weren't very organized, but it was still a good lecture (and we all learned a lot, especially regarding computer forensics).

sanddbox speaks the truth; Monica lies, it was fully successful imo. :P
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by imcrafty on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:48 am
([msg=46013]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Well I still. We should introduce the staff again. But anyways I agree that there should be more entertainment.
imcrafty
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Sector on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 am
([msg=46015]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Considering it was the first lecture, and it was mentioned beforehand that it was not going to be specific to one topic, I think it went rather well.

A number pennies dropped for me this evening just listening to the guys who were doing most of the speaking, and after Goatboy's talk on forensics, my curiosity for the subject has been sparked - which I guess is kinda the point of these lectures in the first place.

Looking forward to the next one if this one was anything to go on - and if it bombs, Bieber can always sing for us...
Sector
New User
New User

Post by imcrafty on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 am
([msg=46016]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

I can sing... :(
imcrafty
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Monica on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:02 am
([msg=46017]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Even today's topic can definitely be discussed further in the next lecture. Again, the lecture belongs to you guys. Got a question? Got a topic to discuss? Or do you just want to sing?! Then JOIN US NEXT FRIDAY! :lol:
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:44 am
([msg=46023]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

My opinions:

Despite the initial disorganization, it went well overall. We had about 2.5x the turnout we thought we'd have, which is nothing short of amazing. You guys seemed to be very interested in what was covered, but I was surprised at how few questions you had. Speak up! You guys essentially run the lecture. There were a few times when I just kinda rambled on and on filling up space. Let's try to avoid that. Nobody wants to hear me talk that much (except maybe mRmasteRful).

I was little disappointed in the high volume of trolling/spamming. Being our first run, I expected a little more cooperation and maturity. That's all I'm going to say on that matter; no sense dwelling on it.

As Monica said, I promise the next lecture will be more structured. We might not have a word-for-word manuscript, but we will definitely have a more solid plan for what to speak on. I present best when speaking off the cuff (feels more natural and relaxed) but with a rough guideline.

That said, I can't wait to do the next lecture. Let's hope for at least as many people, preferably more.

-- Goatboy
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by mRmasteRful on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:39 am
([msg=46027]see Re: Friday's Lecture On 9/17...[/msg])

Lecture was a success. People came and more importantly people learned. Heeck even though imcrafty didn't listen to a thing goatboy was saying she learned how to use vent. Only way to go from here is up. Good job HTS staff.

Sweet we're doing linux next. Could you guys maybe talk about portal linux like on a flashdrive. How limiting this type of set up might be etc. Don't worry I'll be there with questions and please make sure goatboy is lecturing again :) I get off to his voice.
mRmasteRful
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Lectures