WPA2-PSK and some wireless questions?

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

WPA2-PSK and some wireless questions?

Post by good_boy13 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 am
([msg=44490]see WPA2-PSK and some wireless questions?[/msg])

we've got a networking class in my high school
crimping UTP cables and playing with Cat5e and other stuffs
I had been learning lots about it and it begins to feed my curiosity too
We're still not talking much in wireless media but I wanna know how it works and how could I improve mine at home

Since wireless media is being widely used due to its ease of use and connectivity
A wireless Router at home is being used due to its simplicity,
however i've been wondering of how secure it is compared to a UTP cable or coaxial perhaps

The Data floating around you and sneaks past you when you shower;
could it be taken, collected and be analyzed to a computer?
could some one explain of how these things work?
particularly, please explain the WPA2-PSK since it is the most used in our home routers

P.S.
if you could please suggest an eBook or perhaps a hard copy that I could buy in Amazon,
I would really appreciate it
I know my questions could be googled easily but I wanna know these things by interacting with adept people and actually feeding my brain with your ideas and concepts

thanks!
good_boy13
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: WPA2-PSK and some wireless questions?

Post by cilpolir on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 am
([msg=44495]see Re: WPA2-PSK and some wireless questions?[/msg])

To answer your questions:
1) yes the data can be collected, actually any wirelesscard recieves packages that doesn't meant to be recieved by that card all the time. Normally the card discards these packages, but with some software you can save these.The packages are encrypted by the router (there are 2 kinds of encryptions WEP/WPA(2)) so no-one can do anything with it untill you crack the password.
I will not go explaining to you how to crack them, but use google if you want to know.

2)WPA2-psk stands for WPA2-pre shared key, so the key for the network is shared before any other packages are send (google 4-way handshake). This is the most secure encryption a router got, but you should still use a proper password when using it :P
If you have any more questions, just ask ;)
sorry for the lack of details, but I have to go to work
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Networking