HackThisSite Wishlist

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Choose up to 3

Newbie filtering systems (must pass basic challenges to get to login/register screens, etc)
16%
More Realistic challenges
20%
Even more Application challenges
3%
More _______ challenges
12%
HTS Complete Open Source (Including missions, etc)
16%
Anonymous feedback system (Leave comments about staff members)
6%
Email verification for registration
3%
Code database
16%
Remove points from missions
3%
More skins
5%

Total votes : 172

Re: HTS Wishlist

Post by godofcereal on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:36 am
([msg=28577]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

VileCommander wrote:WOW, You guys really want that newb filter.
Im pretty new at this, and am very eager to learn, and have absolutely no intention of becoming a H4xX0r, or breaking myspace. I guess i just love a good puzzle.... btw you guys make a couple really f'in hard ones.

dont put a newb filter because i cant beat all the basic but i beat real 1-5 by myself ..... well some help in the forums

Well the forums are here to help you, any question on the missions has more than likely been asked and answered.
And there is an IRC where you can ask moo(bot) or ask someone to help you.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 pm
([msg=28797]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

I voted: Open Source, Code Database, Point Removal.

Open Source: Only on specific parts of this site... including missions (once completed), the CMS maybe, other big "modules" for lack of a better term right now, and other pages the Team finds appropriate.

Point Removal: I think points should be removed and only number of challenges completed should be counted. It takes a little less edge off of cheating to get missions done and instead use community points to base the rankings of members.... This feature can intertwine with the Open Source idea. When a member completes a certain mission or mission set they can then access certain pages of the sites source...? Thought that might be a good idea.

Code Database: I like this idea but only if it was changed... I think there should be a section of articles that are specific to submitting code. This way they might be shorter "articles" pertaining to certain projects rather than just broad basic- crap- that shows up sometimes... I enjoyed the last Python ones and think that if someone completed a certain project of theirs or a mission they should write a mini article on it with full source and explanation... Little less of a approval requirement since it will be mainly source codes. Also, certain sources for certain missions would be limited to those who have completed them of course...

There is my two cents. So far I like the collaboration and willingness to ask the members which you don't always get on sites like this. (Aka. HBH's monarchy ruled by Mr. Cheese)

Good work!
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by godofcereal on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 pm
([msg=28802]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

The idea of having a part where after a mission is complete you get access to the solved mission forum has already been talked about and is a no go, it would be out onto other sites in hours.

Id like code database idea though.

And HBH is just messed up.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Microelite7711 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm
([msg=28804]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

I voted on the new hacker (I HATE! the word noob in any format of spelling!) filter system.

My idea is that you don't let them see the register until they pass the 3rd basic mission. Not all of them. I remember beating some of the realistics before I completed all the basics. My reasoning is because the idiot test is easy, the 2nd is even easier, and the 3rd a little above the idiot test: and with what 1-3 teaches/tests you on, I think that that's all someone would need to know to not be a completely new hacker even though it's very simple stuff.

And I would also like for the word, "noob" in any form of spelling to be banned. If that happened my face would be like this: :mrgreen: all day long.
Microelite7711
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Defience on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:42 am
([msg=28887]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

It would be nice to eliminate terms like 'noob' but as soon as you do, some other term would pop up.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Agent Spoon on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm
([msg=30982]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

Sorry if this seems a bit dimwitted but rather than just have a specific set of points to allow people to post stuff how about they have to do one that has been randomly picked through basic 1 through x amount real 1 through x amount java 1 through x amount just to add a little "excitement" to be able to get your voice heard. Those youtube videos are for straight newbs, what's the point in coming here expecting to learn via spoon. ;)

Thumbs up?

Thumbs down?
Agent Spoon
New User
New User

Post by igykalen on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:46 am
([msg=33111]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

I came here mainly for more skins. Are there more then this dark one? I would like one that is similar to the light green that is on HTS main page for the missions. The forums are hard to read for me. If there is a way to change it, I'd like to know :)

I also voted on more realistic challenges, with the key idea that they would be more, well... realistic.

Also a newbie filtering system, but I think that's never going to happen since its been discussed for years. I suggested a few ways to encourage new people to read the rules. Not a 'post the wrong thing and you get banned' type. Unfortunately the people who ran the site back then felt that mocking my suggestion, making fun of me, and flat out saying it wouldn't work because they say so was more appropriate. I never said it would stop all people, but I did read the rules, and making them the first thing people see or make it more obvious where the link was to get to it was considered "stupid"?
To me saying if it doesn't stop all people then it's useless is like saying get rid of the speed limit since there will always be people going over it. I only suggest something that might make a mods life easier by *maybe* reducing the number of "dumb" newbie questions by a few percent using a tiny amount of work. But flaming a suggestion was funner I suppose.
(The people running this place was part of the reason I left this site for so long.)

Also the rules I read back then said things like use correct English, misspelling words all throughout the rules. I can see why they would think no one would read them as neither did they.

One idea I had was something along the idea of a system where if you are new you would be more restricted to posting in other areas. Therefor your "How do I hack such and such" would be read by mostly people like them who couldn't help. No need to mod their posts as much as they would grow bored of not getting instant answers and leave. I haven't thought out how you would implement this system. Perhaps completing missions would grant further access to forums?

Instead of rules per se, guidelines on the purpose of this site (which seem to be absent or hard to find for a new person for as long as I've been here) could help greatly by stating that the site is to help you learn how to hack via personal research, the way it's intended, rather than a guide on how to hack [a specific place], which is never taught here.

Also these messages could do without the bold all caps which are rather rude and unnecessary, but that's just my opinion.
igykalen
New User
New User

Post by Clarckk on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:56 am
([msg=33606]see Re: HTS Wishlist[/msg])

1. newbie filtering (note Im still a newbie myself :P)
-They should at least be able to do Basic 1... Or maybe Basic x. Sure they could google the answers, but that would mean they are at least capable of googling :P.

2. more realistic challenges.
-I haven't finished them all, but it's good to have more :D.

3. code database
-I don't know what is meant with this, exactly (post source-code? or custom apps?), but I like it nevertheless :)
Clarckk
New User
New User

Re: HackThisSite Wishlist

Post by Monica on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am
([msg=44200]see Re: HackThisSite Wishlist[/msg])

Thread reopened to get your panties wet for HTS. Got suggestions or feedback? Post here, kids.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Re: HackThisSite Wishlist

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 pm
([msg=44233]see Re: HackThisSite Wishlist[/msg])

Why? What good will it do? The latest main page update is old and asked about new challenges. Haven't seen or heard of any development on those, let alone anything else.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Comments & Suggestions