Help With Installing Ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Help With Installing Ubuntu

Post by Bren2010 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:16 pm
([msg=42171]see Help With Installing Ubuntu[/msg])

I'm trying to install Ubuntu from the cd, and after I run Wubi and restart, Ubuntu shows a few lines for a couple seconds, then the screen goes black and it never comes back. I've waited for almost half an hour and nothing happens, and the computer even acts idle.

I've tried a couple different cds with different kinds of Linux, and they all do the same thing except OpenSUSE and Knoppix. However, OpenSUSE gets stuck on the install at about 35%, and I could use Knoppix, but it doesn't work very well. :evil:

Any help would be appreciated!
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help With Installing Ubuntu

Post by msbachman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm
([msg=42172]see Re: Help With Installing Ubuntu[/msg])

Did you fuck around with X11 at all? Esp. /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
([msg=42173]see Re: Help With Installing Ubuntu[/msg])

You're using a CD, yet Wubi is involved? The point of Wubi is so you don't have to use a CD.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by msbachman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:24 pm
([msg=42174]see Re: Help With Installing Ubuntu[/msg])

Two more ideas, what is the hard disk doing? Turn your sound on, do you hear the startup noise?

Also, what happens when you do a Ctrl+Alt+F3 ? (try that combo with different F buttons, F1-F7).

I'd lean heavily on thinking this is a problem with X11. If that ctrl/alt combo drops you to a terminal attempt to do a
Code: Select all
dpkg-reconfigre xorg

Also since you have the internet see how you can drop into ubuntu's recovery mode without a GUI and see if xorg is logging any weird shit. Also maybe post the output of /etc/X11/xorg.conf I could give it a look and compare it with mine to see if it looks at least remotely sensible.

I went through a lot of shit on Ubuntu after I installed 'restricted drivers' and had to rebuild a crippled xorg.conf file so maybe this is in the same family of disorders. :lol:
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bren2010 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:27 pm
([msg=42175]see Re: Help With Installing Ubuntu[/msg])

@msbachman - No fucking was involved. All I did was run Wubi.

@Goatboy - I put the cd in while Windows was still on, and it came up that it wanted to run Wubi, so I did and it said that it would finish when I restarted, and that's when what I was talking about happened.

@msbachman (you posted while I was typing this) - Okay, I'll see what I can do. I was told ctrl+alt+F2, and that never did anything.

-- Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:53 pm --

Ok, updates.

• There is no xorg.conf file. Does it matter that I used Wubi, but installed it on it's own partition?
  • There are no startup noises.
  • The key combinations do nothing as well.
  • About the screen being blank, the lcd's are on, but it's not showing anything. I've seen bugs where there's a distinction between not showing anything, and the lcd's being off too.

-- Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 pm --

Okay, I stopped using the cd for 9.1 and just downloaded the Wubi for 10.04 and it works great! :D Only one question though. It's not showing my wireless router when I try to connect? Is there anyway to search for it?

-- Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 am --

I'm on Ubuntu! :D . . . . What now?
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Return to *nix