Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions!

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions!

Post by Pythous on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:43 pm
([msg=40516]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
msbachman wrote:My suggestions:

1) An exploits section, where people can post their own 0days and be rewarded with points like they now are with articles.
2) Hidden, easter egg challenges hidden around the site itself. It would be something to the effect of realistic 17(?) and would reward people that go beyond the bounds of strictly delineated challenges.
3) I think a more crucial suggestion would be to restructure the points system to reflect the sum of contribution and skill together. This could be done by providing more points for site contributions of all kinds.

-- Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:46 pm --

Moar!:

4) "thanks system": where people can gain like a point or something when they are thanked by another forum member for a helpful response.
5) challenge: a moderated challenge where people can bet other members can't solve a given problem. For instance, someone posts a 'realistic'-like challenge, and it's checked by a mod to see if it's fair or not. Then, for every person who attempts the challenge, the author of the challenge receives one point (or 10, 20, etc.) from the challenger. For every person who completes the challenge, the author loses a set number of points. The proper bet:reward ratios could be found from data collected from the challenges that already exist!

I like the first three and the last. However, the thanks system sounds too much like reputation, which often ends up with people rep bombing eachother and people posting "please +rep" after every post.

As to the fifth one, I like it, but what if someone makes a challenge intentionally hard just to get points?

I think that with the fifth one it would have to have an approval system- sort of like the articles. That way a mod/developer would be able to make sure it was okay.
We did not invent the algorithm.
The algorithm consistently finds Jesus.
The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China.
The algorithm is from Jersey.
The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Pythous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:56 pm
([msg=40517]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

1.) We have rules about posting exploits. As long as they are followed, I think a 0-day section would be a nice addition.

2.) We have a few easter eggs already. If we added more, I would advise against a forum section for them; that defeats the purpose. I would also advise against awarding points for them; the reward itself should be finding them.

3.) I think the points system is fine as it is. After all, we're about learning, not having the high score. This is not an arcade.

4.) Bad idea all around. sanddbox pretty much summed it up. Besides, we all have our own reputations here. Word of mouth is testimony enough.

5.) Meh. sanddbox again got this one. People might just post a shit-ton of unrealistic challenges to get points.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm
([msg=40518]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

Yeah - I forgot to mention that active members will already know who to respect and who not to. The people who rely on reputation points to determine how worthy of respect someone is are the people we don't want here.

-- Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:32 pm --

Also - about the fifth one - it would be a lot easier to just allow people to submit challenges (this is already possible, but it would be good to have an actual system for it). The better the challenge, the more points awarded. (Better as in looks better, more realistic, teaches useful information, etc - not necessarily harder).

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:13 am
([msg=40531]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

I don't like the mission log idea. Not unless I was just a small Ajax pop up for taking notes that are then saved. You won't be able to "save your progress" in real life. Unless they now have an App for that... ;)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 pm
([msg=40544]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

Well in real life you use a text file to store details in or whatever. It's just something that makes the site a little easier to use.

As for "respect points", I'm all for them. I think it's a good way of showing who is contributing a lot to the community and being helpful, and who is just being an ass.

Also, a lot of these features will be entirely optional remember. The AJAX chat is one big example of that.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by thetan on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 pm
([msg=40560]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

i've worked a good majority of this nonsense out 2 weeks ago before i left for training. I also even built a skeleton HTS based on a quickly hacked up MVC framework, wrote some basic docs on how to use it. Also, me and weekend have been hammering out a DB design for just as long now.

Anyways, i'll post some of the docs when i get off of work and get home. Also, i can start grinding it out again now that i'm back from field training.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedotmaster on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:49 am
([msg=40583]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

thetan wrote:i've worked a good majority of this nonsense out 2 weeks ago before i left for training. I also even built a skeleton HTS based on a quickly hacked up MVC framework, wrote some basic docs on how to use it. Also, me and weekend have been hammering out a DB design for just as long now.

Anyways, i'll post some of the docs when i get off of work and get home. Also, i can start grinding it out again now that i'm back from field training.

That's awesome. Thanks a lot :)

-- Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 pm --

New ideas I've had:
- Integration with Facebook and Twitter (100% optional and not turned on as default) so that when you complete a mission, it can send this to these websites. Increases publicity, brings in users, allows you to show off. Win-win, no? ;)
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by thetan on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm
([msg=40616]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:New ideas I've had:
- Integration with Facebook and Twitter (100% optional and not turned on as default) so that when you complete a mission, it can send this to these websites. Increases publicity, brings in users, allows you to show off. Win-win, no? ;)

Step ahead of you .... perhaps now is a good time to post what i've conjured instead of dragging it out/further grinding it to perfection.

Speculative Feature Sketch For HTS: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfzdqsm3_22k2w338gd

I have a ton more docs on the merit system, the structure of the MVC framework and it's use. However, they don't meet my minimal standards to go public with them yet.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 am
([msg=40643]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

thetan wrote:
thedotmaster wrote:New ideas I've had:

Step ahead of you .... perhaps now is a good time to post what i've conjured instead of dragging it out/further grinding it to perfection.

Speculative Feature Sketch For HTS: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfzdqsm3_22k2w338gd

I have a ton more docs on the merit system, the structure of the MVC framework and it's use. However, they don't meet my minimal standards to go public with them yet.

That feature sketch looks pretty fucking awesome.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Monica on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 am
([msg=40644]see Re: Your HackThisSite: HTSv5 Suggestions![/msg])

Thetan, baby, amazing sketch. You're so amazing at so many amazing things. Reminds me of the amazing Sunday night...

Thetan & Me, Sunday night:

hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Comments & Suggestions