You may or may not be aware that HackThisSite has been planning a full site recode for quite some time. The new version of the site will be HTSv5. It'll feature a brand-new design, new missions (and updates for the existing missions) and a generally more modern feel to the site, which is starting to feel a little dated. Also, all those problems with logging in, registering, etc - they should be gone.
However, we need ideas! Every suggestion in this thread will be discussed by me, Kage and the other developers.
Here are the features that I would like to appear in HTSv5. They haven't been discussed yet, they're just my personal opinions. Feedback from you lot would be much appreciated as we'll take this into account.
- Video tutorial system (this is definitely on the way, but maybe not in time for HTSv5 - not certain)
- Use of AJAX. Say what you will about it, it makes for faster and more slick navigation. It shouldn't be used for everything, but some things are much nicer with it.
- AJAX chat. Not only can this be used potentially as a replacement for the HTS message centre, it could also be implemented as part of the missions. (See description below**).
- Knowledge or information bank for specified topics, such as SQL Injection, TCP/IP, etc. Potentially a wiki-style thing. Would need to be discussed but it'd be slightly different to the article system (or even a replacement for it).
- Code snippet section for hosting of cool scripts, apps, etc. Exploit information too (when found by the user, not just reposted from another site) - encouraging security research to be posted to HTS instead of other sites.
- Better system for filing bugs, submitting ideas, etc. Regular polls on the homepage.
- Mission logs that let you save progress. So, say you find a particularly significant URL, then this would be recorded in your mission log. Of course, it would have be done properly so it didn't give things away.
**AJAX chat as part of the missions would be used to give you certain bits of information as you go along. This would create a more interactive feel. For example, when you first start a realistic mission, the URL and brief description of the goal is sent to you by "another user" on HTS. Of course, that user wouldn't really exist. But it'd seem it.
AJAX chat would not be a replacement for IRC, please note.
So then, those are my suggestions. Please discuss them and add your own. The contents of this thread will be taken into account. Got some ideas for the interface/design.. do some sketches and post them here, or PM them to me. Alternatively, email email@example.com with any suggestions you may have.
Please observe the following:
- Think your idea through before posting
- Make your post legible (punctuation, spelling, spacing, etc.)
- Be as detailed as you feel necessary
- Stay on topic (this thread will fill up quickly)