What do you believe in?

For discussing religion and related topics.

What do you believe in?

Post by Theminatar on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:10 am
([msg=40250]see What do you believe in?[/msg])

    Christianity
    Atheism
    Scientology
    Etc.. (Please specify)


I was raised with the thought that everything
happens for a reason, I cannot say I believe in God.
As of right now, I am very religiously confused,
Christians believe that there is only one God, and
that god is THE God.

There are multiple religions that state some similar
things, but how do you know which religion is true?
That is where your faith comes in. My faith is
elsewhere. I believe we can control our own destinies.
Not some superior thing we believe in and hold our
trust to.

We had a discussion on the IRC server I visit about what happens when you die. I said, I believe when we die we are reborn into a human, but we lose all our past memories. Others said, nothing happens, it's the
end. In my opinion, I just can't fathom the idea of
nothing.

These are just my opinions.
Image
Image
User avatar
Theminatar
New User
New User
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by msbachman on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 am
([msg=40256]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Nothing, deity wise. Actually I shouldn't say that, because I think it's possible that a god exists (though I don't believe in one, I'm an atheist), but were one to, I still wouldn't worship it because any god that exists would have to be evil.

I lost my faith mostly after 9/11, and a couple years later I was studying computer science. About that time I discovered some shock sites which basically eradicated any notion whatsoever of a benevolent god at all. Were a god to exist to stop someone from getting their face smashed in with a hammer, and who didn't stop it, it'd be the most atrocious being imaginable.

If you want to know more about what I don't believe in, I'd refer you to this video, which touches on many issues I have with religion in the context what starts as an innocuous interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKlWxYItBFU

Also this, even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbhFXpI8DHA
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
User avatar
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: In the sky lol
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by sanddbox on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm
([msg=40320]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Oh, god. Another one of these...


Anyways, Atheism.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by Theminatar on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:13 am
([msg=40344]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Oh, god. Another one of these...


Anyways, Atheism.

Ha ha, they're not that bad, as long as no trolls come in..
Image
Image
User avatar
Theminatar
New User
New User
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by Dredric1 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 am
([msg=40485]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

i believe in:

Heaven - the end reward for the saved
Hell - the end punishment for the evil as in they die and are no more
Benevolent God - God the Father , The Creator , The Trinity
lucifer - the devil
spirits - good and evil
angelic hosts - good and evil
sinful nature of man - because of the fall
Salvation through Jesus - the Perfect Sacrifice
the bible - as a spiritual guide
the ask and you will receive principle - in relation to spiritual things
freedom of choice - no predestination

i might add more later and i do not want to debate my beliefs on this thread i will on other threads
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
User avatar
Dredric1
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by Skiddie Killer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:36 am
([msg=40489]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I'm a Muslim,and I believe in God and everything said in the holy Qur'an(Heaven,Hell,angels...).
User avatar
Skiddie Killer
New User
New User
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by msbachman on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 am
([msg=40490]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Skiddie Killer wrote:I'm a Muslim,and I believe in God and everything said in the holy Qur'an(Heaven,Hell,angels...).



Simple question: do you think sleeping with nine-year olds is acceptable? How about Sharia law?


And how about Surah 47:4 : do you think Sanddbox and I should be beheaded?


Dredric1 wrote:hell[...]Benevolent God - God the Father , The Creator , The Trinity [...] Jesus [...]the fall


How can a benevolent god make people homosexual and then subsequently damn them to hell? How is that divine benevolence?

And in light of the fact that the earth isn't 6000 years old, Jesus' sacrifice makes no sense. It was wholly unnecessary, as the "fall" described in Genesis never happened.

Here's something to rile up both the theists: I'm superior morally to each of their respective gods. I don't punish people for how I made them, I don't condone pedophilia, and were another holocaust to happen, I might be inclined to action instead of sitting on my holy ass as millions are gassed, shot, and starved. Furthermore, either of them could be better than god, were they to not give a second thought to their religions' moral dictates.

And were a hell to exist, believers must live with the shame knowing that non-believers/infidels more moral than god are being sent there en masse.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
User avatar
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 pm
Location: In the sky lol
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by null-set on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:22 am
([msg=40491]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

It's really difficult to talk about religions, and what you believe in when it comes to religion, because most premises of religions are flawed or somewhat unrealistic. For example, there's always the need to have a definition for "God" or the "Tao" or whatever else have you. In the case of "God" which is usually associated with definitions like an omnipotent being, universal being and all that. The thing is, the definition itself is self contradictory, because being ABLE to DEFINE such a being would entail that the being is graspable, and therefore can be contained within the mind and is thus not the "big one" if you know what I mean.

As with regards to the Heaven and Hell and all that, the varying definitions somewhat makes it unrealistic/inaccessible.

Well, I really don't know much about these things, except that my logic can't seem to comprehend them.

I believe in values though, or at least having something to believe in. In a way, it's an evolutionary imperative, but I'd digress if I discuss that still.
null-set
New User
New User
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by Skiddie Killer on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:53 am
([msg=40492]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

msbachman wrote:Simple question: do you think sleeping with nine-year olds is acceptable? How about Sharia law?

Of course,I don't support pedophilia,but back then something like this was acceptable and considered normal.

msbachman wrote:And how about Surah 47:4 : do you think Sanddbox and I should be beheaded?


The surah orders believers to obey Muhammad and not to reject any part of what he has revealed, as well as to "smite" and "subdue" the "unbelievers" in battle. This is often used against Muslims to describe their religion as violent, but it cannot be taken out of context;the verse refers to the Battle of Badr, where the Meccans were gathering an army to attack Medina. This verse simply commanded the Muslims to defend themselves from this threat, and is not applicable in modern times.-Wikipedia
User avatar
Skiddie Killer
New User
New User
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: What do you believe in?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 am
([msg=40493]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Skiddie, you seem to contradict yourself, as many religious people do. You say you support and believe in every word of the Qur'an (Bible, Torah, etc.) but you also twist the meaning to match today's morals and social norms. This is not how religion works. You either believe it all, or none of it. It's not a pick-and-choose buffet. This is one of my biggest pet-peeves.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2814
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests