Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux

Post by mnchlx on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm
([msg=27070]see Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

I installed the backtrack 3 vm and am looking to install the drivers for my network adapter. I have noticed this in the past as well, do we really need to compile every driver? Or is there an easier way to go about things like this?
mnchlx
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux

Post by relictus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 pm
([msg=27072]see Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

mnchlx wrote:I installed the backtrack 3 vm and am looking to install the drivers for my network adapter. I have noticed this in the past as well, do we really need to compile every driver? Or is there an easier way to go about things like this?

You usually don't have to compile drivers, just modprobe them. Btw, I think there is backtrack4 now.
archlinux user ~ wannabe hacker
relictus
New User
New User

Post by mnchlx on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 pm
([msg=27190]see Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

relictus wrote:
mnchlx wrote:I installed the backtrack 3 vm and am looking to install the drivers for my network adapter. I have noticed this in the past as well, do we really need to compile every driver? Or is there an easier way to go about things like this?

You usually don't have to compile drivers, just modprobe them. Btw, I think there is backtrack4 now.

modprobe? Sorry for my ignorance.
mnchlx
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:22 am
([msg=27207]see Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

http://linux.die.net/man/8/modprobe

with bt4 more drivers should be included.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by hrasdt on Fri May 28, 2010 4:57 am
([msg=39200]see Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

Depending on the kernel and autodetection, you should have support out of the box. Linux is quite easy to get drivers for these days, usually they're modules for your kernel, or an apt-get/emerge/yum away.
hrasdt
New User
New User

Post by acantho on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:07 pm
([msg=40196]see Re: Do you really need to compile all of your drivers? linux[/msg])

There is indeed a final version of BT4 I run it on a VMware virtual machine, still dont really know what I'm doing but I'm very slowly figuring the basics out. There are acctually a few decent tutorials out there as regards installing it to a virtual machine and getting the VMware tools installed.
I have a script I got from, from VMware that starts teh networking think it comes when you install the VMware tools, but I cant be bothered to start up BT just now- sleepy time is coming soon, but if you need it post saying so or PM me and I'll get it to you. I remember reading something about networking not starting automatcally in BT 4 as in many cases you would not want DHCP starting, depending on what you are doing with BT. Hope that is of some help
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Operating Systems