Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Post by qnbs1 on Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm
([msg=39313]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

very good .everyone who want to be a good coder can study a lot from it
qnbs1
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Ravencloud on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:14 pm
([msg=39682]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Ok, so I know people ask this all the time but; Can anyone give me a list of programming languages i should learn first for all-purpose(Website & Application hacking) Or just in general mainly i'm looking for a programming language that is HIGHLY USED and is used for both of those, and please have a book that is best fit for that language?

Thank you to all those who post,
RavenCloud
Ravencloud
New User
New User

Post by Statixs on Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:00 am
([msg=40093]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Well i saw this post so i thought: let's check :P I'm busy with the book head first php and mysql and that's going pretty good but is another good language to learn? Python? Perl?
Statixs
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:31 am
([msg=40094]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Ravencloud wrote:Ok, so I know people ask this all the time but; Can anyone give me a list of programming languages i should learn first for all-purpose(Website & Application hacking) Or just in general mainly i'm looking for a programming language that is HIGHLY USED and is used for both of those, and please have a book that is best fit for that language?

Thank you to all those who post,
RavenCloud

Firstly, if you want to learn programming, you should first learn python. It is multi platform, it can be used as an interpreted language, or compiled language, you can make procedural, object oriented, or even functional code with it, and you can use it for CGI script language, if you are interested in web programming.
If you are a more experienced programmer, and want to specialize, you should decide what you want to focus on. If you want to, for example, program the web, learn PHP, Ajax, Javascript, and maybe Perl. For general application development, you should learn Java or C#. For more hardware demanding applications, you should use C/C++, for games, learn C++ and a 3D API like OpenGL or DirectX, and shading languages too. If you want to program hardware, learn ASM. If you want to do cracking and/or exploiting, learn C and ASM. As you can see, there are plenty of possibilities, and I only scrached the surface. First learn the basics, then specialize.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by Shadow Ozera on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:52 am
([msg=40375]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Oooo..python, i need to learn that one haha. First tho i need to conquer the Java monster :x
Shadow Ozera
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 am
([msg=40385]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:
If you want to program hardware, learn ASM. If you want to do cracking and/or exploiting, learn C and ASM.

I've actually read reports that optimized C (done by the compiler) is about as fast as it gets. Even compared to assembly. You could still be right though, that's just from what I've read.

My two cents on what I've gathered from the couple of pages I've read on this thread is that a lot of people seem to want to collect programming languages. There's another thread about 'have learned/learning' where people brush off the fact that they know C like it's something you could pick up on a lazy weekend.

I can't speak for others but I've never been able to do this effectively. I took a six month break from C to learn PHP, only to have to re-acquaint myself with some of the basics when I returned to it. Then, I started back with C, and found later I needed to re-acquaint myself with PHP! So I'd caution people against switching languages haphazardly; unless you're fine with knowing the basics of many languages but having mastered none.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FunctionCreep on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:58 pm
([msg=40405]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Yes changing languages while you are still in the process of learning (especially if it is your first language) is never suggested. So for example if you start with Java STICK to it until you are proficient.

C vs assembly just doesn't make much sense. C can be faster than assembly in certain aspects and vice versa. But when you can have inline assembly into C with most compilers why even bother making the comparison?

Assembly can be very useful to know when debugging programs and finding/creating/patching exploits. C can be indeed a pain in the ass to master but you'll most certainly need it at some point.
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free." ~ Nikos Kazantzakis
FunctionCreep
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by neuromanta on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 am
([msg=40533]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

msbachman wrote:
neuromanta wrote:
If you want to program hardware, learn ASM. If you want to do cracking and/or exploiting, learn C and ASM.

I've actually read reports that optimized C (done by the compiler) is about as fast as it gets. Even compared to assembly. You could still be right though, that's just from what I've read.

My two cents on what I've gathered from the couple of pages I've read on this thread is that a lot of people seem to want to collect programming languages. There's another thread about 'have learned/learning' where people brush off the fact that they know C like it's something you could pick up on a lazy weekend.

I can't speak for others but I've never been able to do this effectively. I took a six month break from C to learn PHP, only to have to re-acquaint myself with some of the basics when I returned to it. Then, I started back with C, and found later I needed to re-acquaint myself with PHP! So I'd caution people against switching languages haphazardly; unless you're fine with knowing the basics of many languages but having mastered none.

The reason I suggested ASM is not because it's practical to use it... but it's practical to learn it. You get a lot of insight into how computers work, if you learn ASM, and try to program with it.
Also, I agree that one shouldn't switch between languages too often. That's why I suggested to specialize :).
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by 15hun on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm
([msg=43058]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Hello I'm a scrip kiddie an I'm into hacking in stuff like that so what should be my first objective to learn?
I'm A Knowledge Seeker
15hun
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:55 pm
([msg=43061]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

15hun wrote:Hello I'm a scrip kiddie an I'm into hacking in stuff like that so what should be my first objective to learn?

Read a few of the hundreds of threads that deal with this very topic.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Programming