im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp

Post by madsmith on Sun May 23, 2010 6:33 pm
([msg=38952]see im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

ok i am looking for a good gaming/hacking computer heres what im starting with
emachines:windows vista home basic with SP1
AMD athlon LE-1620 processor
NvIDIA geforce 6150 integrated
Dvd+rw super multi-format dual layer optical drive
160 gb hard drive
2 gb ddr2 memory
15-in-1 digital media manager
logi tech mouse and speakers
emachines flate pannel moniter e191h tft lcd-18.5 widescreen 1666x768 16:9-aspect ratio 5ms response time
Vga analog input
any tips and helps would be nice i need to know what to get to make it better and at a reasonable price starting with the cheapest up to upgrade the items would be nice
madsmith
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 23, 2010 7:08 pm
([msg=38954]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

I can only assume that, since you are putting hacking at the same level as gaming, you have no idea what hacking actually entails. A good gaming rig requires (usually) expensive components, a large monitor, nice speakers, a responsive and multi-functional mouse, and many other things you are going to spend a lot of time and money on. Contrast this with hacking, which can be done on pretty much anything, down to and including roadkill (assuming you manage to install Linux on it, which you can with enough patience).

What, did you think hacking was like in the movies? Flying through cyberspace and shooting through firewalls?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by madsmith on Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm
([msg=38955]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

no im not stop taking it so serious and acting as if i am stupid i know what hacking is i was saying what would be the best gaming computer with hacking potentiality
madsmith
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm
([msg=38956]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

Again, you can hack on just about any hardware. What you are looking for is a gaming computer. Plain and simple.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by madsmith on Sun May 23, 2010 9:03 pm
([msg=38958]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

ok well still anyone know how to build a good gaming comp off this piece of junk other then buy a whole new comp <.<
madsmith
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 23, 2010 9:10 pm
([msg=38959]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

My experience with building custom rigs is pretty minimal. I have never built a gaming PC, but I have thrown together workable PCs out of essentially Frankenstein parts. My current "gamer" is one I bought stock and it works well for me.

That said, I'd start by ditching Vista for XP; as far as I have heard, XP is still best for gaming. As far as hardware goes, I can't get too specific myself, but if you are trying to do this on a lower budget, focus only on what you need. Keep the speakers you have, you probably won't need a great CD/DVD drive, etc etc. For a mouse, if you are looking for a change, I highly recommend the Logitech Mx518. Just about any monitor will do, despite what people will say. 2GB of RAM is a tad bit low. Not gonna check your processor specs, but I'd go for at least dual-core. For the graphics card, and you should just go for what's the best within your price range.

Kinda jumbled advice, but it's a start. To sum it up: Only focus on what will increase your FPS, and skimp on the rest.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Sun May 23, 2010 9:37 pm
([msg=38960]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

madsmith wrote:no im not stop taking it so serious and acting as if i am stupid i know what hacking is i was saying what would be the best gaming computer with hacking potentiality

Judging by your spelling, grammar, punctuation (or lack thereof), and defensiveness, chances are you probably don't...

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Vulpine on Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 pm
([msg=38962]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

Is this your system?

You can't do much with it, if that's so. It's pretty much an expensive paperweight.

Try Goatboy's advice, but I doubt you'll be able to get much performance out of that thing without sinking a lot of money into it, at which point you may as well buy a new one. You'll definitely need to replace that power supply, though. I'm surprised the damn thing even turns on with 250W.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Kw3rt on Sat May 29, 2010 9:57 pm
([msg=39268]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

If you're trying to go with a good budget gaming PC, you're going to want 4GB of ram, which most older motherboards won't allow, so you're gonna definitely need a new one which will run you $100 on average for a decent one, Then you're going to probably get a new CPU to fit that socket. There's another $80 to $100. 2 X 2GM RAM is another $100 roughly, so at that point I would just build your own computer. It really isn't too expensive if you're on a budget. If you can save your current monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, it can be done for roughly $600 - $700. I've never built one personally. But I've read plenty on it and watched videos on how it's done. And I've 'built' them on TigerDirect and NewEgg. It'll run you roughly the same price of an average stock PC at a store if you were to build a good, budget gaming PC
Kw3rt
New User
New User

Post by DigitalJedi on Sun May 30, 2010 3:55 pm
([msg=39302]see Re: im hoping to upgrade my comp to a gaming/hacking comp[/msg])

Well if want to just be a casual gamer you can go with a 2gig Ram card:D
Like for Heroes of New Erth is a casual gamer game. But for a MMORPG like SWTOR..i guess ul need a 4gig ram card
DigitalJedi
New User
New User

Next

Return to Hardware