Internet Over Radio (IOR)

Wired and wireless telecommunications networks and devices

Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 09, 2010 9:05 pm
([msg=38502]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:Two words: file headers. If you've ever downloaded an mp3, in the headers it has the artist, album name, composers, etc.

Not always needed. I right now I can record any song playing on the radio simply by hitting record. I was just saying that rebroadcasting the same thing twice was kinda unnecessary.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Bren2010 on Mon May 10, 2010 8:07 pm
([msg=38543]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
Bren2010 wrote:Two words: file headers. If you've ever downloaded an mp3, in the headers it has the artist, album name, composers, etc.
<br>Not always needed. I right now I can record any song playing on the radio simply by hitting record. I was just saying that rebroadcasting the same thing twice was kinda unnecessary.

I get your point, but along with file headers, there's speed. Songs on the radio are broadcast at a speed that humans can understand them, when it could be transferred via binary code 3 or 4 times by the time the song we listen to is finished.

Also, with half the songs on the radio where I live, the radio plays it censored, but when we buy it, it's uncensored. People aren't happy when your playing music with children around, and all the sudden the rapper yells "f*ck the world"
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by thetan on Tue May 11, 2010 2:03 pm
([msg=38570]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

...... :)

/me sets up open wireless access point and hooks it up with an 11dbi omni antenna and amplifies it with a 4 Watt signal amplifier (way beyond legal broadcast limits for the unlicensed spectrum and thus pirate)

/me then tells people on twitter/facebook etc a time date general range as well as a link to a udpcast client and instructions on how to run it at the appropriate time

/me then waits till propper time

/me fires up the AP, and fires off an instance of updcast in sender mode transmitting the super ninja data/file (via udp-sender)

/me waits an appropriate sleep time and repeats (this can be automated via a bash script)

/me unplugs AP when all is said and done, packs up my broadcast equipment and makes a run for the nearest "safe house"

tada, mission accomplished using standard equipment that most people don't have to go super out of their way to do hardware hacks etc :)
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mystic_Dragon on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm
([msg=39408]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Let's say you're part of a group, that is trying to attain some goal, whatever it may be that the government doesn't appreciate. Thus forcing you to go deep underground. /reference Cory Doctorow's Little Brother/ You broadcast a signal at a specific time and people who you trust personally, I.E. in your group know about it and are set to receive. Now lets say all this data is super encrypted and only your group, who you trust personally can decrypt it(for the time being) and in that message is further instruction and a new encryption. New link up procedures. You now have underground evolving secure data transfer most people wouldn't consider looking for. Other than that I have no idea, I'll keep thinking. This reminds me of some other ideas I've heard and I like the idea. Think about encrypted military radio signals, they can be used to send audio traffic, or text data. It can be done.
Mystic_Dragon
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:12 am
([msg=39413]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

This is a very interesting idea, I like it. But, it's not that new. Decades ago, in the C64 times, sometimes some radio stations broadcasted complete programs (games mostly) on radio waves, and you could record them to a cassette with a simple recorder.
But it's a cool idea, I think it has potencial... it can be used for underground information sharing.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by t0m4t3 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 pm
([msg=40427]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Add to it some nice criptographic algoritms or stego...and you may have some secure channels...

I like the concept!

Tough it seems quites unpractical (or not at all?) but depending the signal power it's better to have some face-to-face meeting XD
I mean, you just can't send information too far, since you can't use any radiocom stations.
t0m4t3
New User
New User

Post by MrAdaam on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm
([msg=41203]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Mystic_Dragon wrote:Let's say you're part of a group, that is trying to attain some goal, whatever it may be that the government doesn't appreciate. Thus forcing you to go deep underground ... You broadcast a signal at a specific time ... (people) in your group know about it and are set to receive ... You now have underground evolving secure data transfer most people wouldn't consider looking for.

Quote cut up to suit my post..

Pretty much the first thing I thought of - especially if it's already been done. Providing said organisation could transmit and then members recieve it would be effective and unlikely to be noticed for a while, until a recieving device is found or transmitting equipment.
I can only imagine it being effective if there is some kind of routine to transmitting the information such as set times and dates or days through the week so that your friends know when to 'listen' - even then it would require strong enough signals for the equipment to pick up the signal and it not make an interference with local radio waves and getting into the hands of people its not meant to, therefore needing some kind of encryption.
MrAdaam
New User
New User

Post by mush_d on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am
([msg=60752]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

Internet over radio is not a new idea and is actually used by many every day. Most commonly a transceiver's mic input is used to connect a computer between a transmitter/receiver and the transmitting antenna. Amateur radio operators have made these interfacing devices semi-popular in the past few years as digital modes of communication such as psk31 and MFSK16 became more popular on high frequency bands. The vast majority of these techniques incorporate the use of the PC sound card to code and decode audio tones both sent from the transceiver (or PC itself) and received from the antenna. Most all of these digital modes work with standard ASCII characters and use open source software to operate. It is not difficult to transmit data securely to another know point over the air with these ideas in mind. If desired, the software itself can be implemented as a keyboard, as proper design and placement can provide a simplistic means of data input. As long as a least 2 computers have the ability to communicate with each other in this fashion, there is nothing at all stopping them passing data (that includes entire files, though slow, and strings) to the transmitter.

Frequency shifting, PL tones, offsets, differential up/down links and other methods can be used in conjunction with private transmission types to insure broadcasted data remains in constant motion. As long as a computer or transceiver (preferably both) on both ends is programmed for identical spectrum scanning, both stations can follow each other while consistently moving across frequency bands.

The most successful transmissions I have been associated with have taken place at or above 10ghz. Microwave frequencies provide the best environment to pass RF digital transmissions in. Unfortunately microwave frequencies also reduce broadcasting distance drastically when compared to HF frequencies and may also be a health danger if one is consistently exposed to the antenna's effective radiated field.

That's a broad scratch on the surface but I hope it gives a better general idea of the mechanics behind your question.

I had a lot of fun with this interface. I would consider it the most customizable on the market to this day. The thought behind it is well worth the read for anyone truely interested in this subject matter.

Transmitter: icom 756 pro III
Antenna: I suggest custom building (though Force 12 is a great company)
Towers: US tower ... freestanding CRANK-UP towers.
mush_d
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm
([msg=60755]see Re: Internet Over Radio (IOR)[/msg])

The last post in this thread was over a year ago. Please don't necro.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Previous

Return to Telecommunications