Mind control through mass media???

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Mind control through mass media???

Post by Pawse on Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 am
([msg=38346]see Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

I'm new to this whole thing, hacking, really the whole world. I'm kinda looking for opinions for and against Mass Media mind control, does it exist or not?

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3571

That article is all for the existence of it, but very much displeased with it.

What's the opinion of the ever reclusive hackers?
Our Vulnerability is all our Insensitivity-Jesse Micheals
Pawse
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mind control through mass media???

Post by Goatboy on Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 am
([msg=38347]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

Now I'm not one of those tinfoil hat people, but I definitely believe there is a conscious effort by governments, corporations, and the media companies themselves to influence the masses through the use of mass media. Think about it. You're a government in control of 300,000,000 people, many of which *coughsouthcough* are not too bright. You need to keep them under control, and you know that they enjoy watching TV for hours at a time. What do you do?

The clear choice is to subtly (or no so subtly in some cases) tweak what is broadcast to suit your needs. Need more oil dependence? Promote shows criticizing the research on clean fuels. Want an accurate census? Make a series of frilly ads with lots of singing and clever slogans. Fucked up big time? Launch a vague public apology claiming you'll do better next time.

It works the same way for corporations, too. If you want your product advertised, buy commercial slots on the big networks. Want your opposition to look bad? Mimic their product in your "Ours vs Generic" tests.

The long and short of it is that as long as there is mass media, it will be used to control people. Next time you're watching TV (I do occasionally) keep a sharp eye out for the blatant tricks employed. Same goes for radio and just about any web site. You can't escape it. All you can do is be aware and consciously look out for it, lest you fall into the same trap.

As an interesting little experiment, start actively looking for and following trends. I don't mean give in to them, but notice them. One good example I talk about a lot is American Idol. I'm sure you've probably heard of the "Pants on the ground" song. Within a week of that episode airing, I was hearing it everywhere. It just goes to show you how a program with enough viewers can have a major impact on social interaction.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Vulpine on Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm
([msg=38350]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

People are stupid. Plain and simple. The only reason mass media holds so much influence over their audience is because people want them to. They want to believe whatever the flashy colors and bright lights tell them. It's easier than doing their homework. They want to believe the political propaganda. It helps them to justify their poorly considered position.

To quote Ayn Rand:

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction that you give it."

Not that you need to collect the Pendants of Courage, Wisdom, and Strength, and then brandish your ancient sword of power in order to fight this... It's really as simple as turning the damn TV off and asking questions.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Tue May 04, 2010 4:18 pm
([msg=38352]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

I was thinking about this thread while I was driving, and I remembered something from when I was younger. Probably age 10-11, just going from elementary to middle school. I recall thinking to myself "I don't really know about all the popular celebrities. I'm not too well-informed."

How backwards I was! I felt left out of the loop because I didn't know who Tom Cruise was dating or because I didn't know the lyrics to the latest Aaron Carter song. Looking back on that now, I'm glad I wasn't indoctrinated by Hollywood.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Tue May 04, 2010 5:13 pm
([msg=38356]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

I feel the same way nowadays. Whenever my girlfriend mentions that new movie with "that" actor, I never have a clue as to what she's talking about.

As for mind control, like Goatboy said, most of it's based on subtle hints. Advertisements tend to be much more obvious, but not always. For example, you will never see a villain in any movie/TV show using a Mac. Coincidence? I highly doubt it. Money talks, 'nough said.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Wed May 05, 2010 1:01 am
([msg=38369]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I feel the same way nowadays. Whenever my girlfriend mentions that new movie with "that" actor, I never have a clue as to what she's talking about.

As for mind control, like Goatboy said, most of it's based on subtle hints. Advertisements tend to be much more obvious, but not always. For example, you will never see a villain in any movie/TV show using a Mac. Coincidence? I highly doubt it. Money talks, 'nough said.

Well, that makes sense. After all, no one capable of being an evil mastermind would stoop to using a Mac!

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by neuromanta on Wed May 05, 2010 3:18 am
([msg=38371]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:People are stupid. Plain and simple.

Yes, it's true. But not because ppl are stupid by nature. That's just part of the mass control: stupid people are easier to control, therefore the government is in interest to make people dumb. That's why most of the people are stupid.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
([msg=38372]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

Nah, I think people are "stupid" because it's convenient.

As long as people are happy, they don't look for things to complain about, who doesn't want to be happy? I'll agree that it's in the Governments interest to have a stupid public, but I'm not too sure they're actively trying to create one. They don't really have to. Remember when it was really hip to wear Obama shirts? They've pretty much gone away. Why were 90% of the people wearing them? Because their friends/family, or most likely TV or favorite movie star told them to.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Pawse on Wed May 05, 2010 9:36 am
([msg=38375]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

How interesting, some people who would agree with me. :D

I do have to say, I agree with ISOMANICAL, it convenient to be stupid, less is asked of you, and your left to your idiot thoughts.

You think this is the general view the populace hold, or are they all just sycophant drones?
Our Vulnerability is all our Insensitivity-Jesse Micheals
Pawse
New User
New User

Post by acantho on Thu May 06, 2010 7:14 pm
([msg=38411]see Re: Mind control through mass media???[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I feel the same way nowadays. Whenever my girlfriend mentions that new movie with "that" actor, I never have a clue as to what she's talking about.

Product placement !

Companies, from apple, to samsung, macdonalds to wendys (see I've been to the US of A before, or maybe just watched Pulp Fiction!), ford to mercedes (think ford specifically made the "cars" for the Judge Dread movie) even the airlines used in movies and shows, the type of guns used etc etc etc and not forgetting the stuff that is not in your face - stuff in the background e.g. a hotel chain in a shot. Companies pay for this exposure and the film companies and TV show makers actively court them for money to use their products/have their products in shot.

The strange thing is that the more you are aware that this goes on the more you notice it, but the less you are influenced by it, and those who are less aware of it are more likely to be influenced by it. So yes there is a large amount of subliminal stuff going on, but even more in your face stuff as well.
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Politics