Partitioning in XP

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Partitioning in XP

Post by AzTweeter on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:38 pm
([msg=38030]see Re: Partitioning in XP[/msg])

Ok so based on that I'm doing it right, But when i hit apply it errors out. The details just say to move the partition to the right to change the size which I have already done by this point. Then in the documentation is said to delete HKEY_local_machine\System\MountedDevices and that should clear it up since windows "remembers" everything that "surrounds" it. I did that and went back into Gparted and still getting the exact same problem. I hate running linux off of a liveCD and just want to get a full install lol
AzTweeter
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:48 pm
([msg=38031]see Re: Partitioning in XP[/msg])

What error are you getting? Try searching it on Google.

If you say you've already moved the partition to the right and changed the size, Gparted should show you a section of data that is simply labeled as "Unpartitioned" or Free Space, or something along those lines. Click on that and create a Linux filesystem there. Though you can also do that during installation (More than likely, I've yet to see a major distro that doesn't have the option to play around with partitions before committing the install.)
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by AzTweeter on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:54 pm
([msg=38033]see Re: Partitioning in XP[/msg])

It doesn't give any specific information about the error. It just stops, Since i'm using a liveCD the drive is not mounted and I just had to reformat the other day since i picked up the confectious worm some how. So im using a 3 day old install of XP. The only thing i've been able to find is that people have had this problems on old installed copies of XP

-- Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:02 pm --

Vulpine wrote:
AzTweeter wrote:Well wubi won't run. When i try to install from the file an error pops up

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c

Possible solution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1183856

Based on what they thread was saying is that the problem was because they were trying to install on a FAT32 file system. I'm actually currently running an NTFS on this partition but i think i may have found a fix for the Gparted problem. I'm checking into it now and i'll post how it goes.

-- Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 pm --

Ok well I finally got it to work. It was actually pretty simple, I downloaded PerfectDisk and ran a defrag on the C:\ drive to move all the random files to the front. Then i rebooted and loaded up GParted and it resized the partition just like a dream. Then i was able to load up the liveCD for Fedora and install to the new partition. Now I just have to figure out why my internet is running so much slower on fedora than windows.
AzTweeter
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:59 am
([msg=38100]see Re: Partitioning in XP[/msg])

I'm not sure if you did this or not, but running Gparted from the terminal would've given you information about what went wrong (probably). Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you.

As to why your internet is slower; well, there's a lot of possible reasons. Do you mean you can only download things at a fraction of the speed, or is the web rendering slower? Usually speed issues are related to drivers, so find out what chipset your wireless card is, and then make sure the driver you are using is well supported. If not, you could try using ndiswrapper, which lets you use windows wireless drivers with Linux.

Good luck!
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Previous

Return to Microsoft Windows