First time building a pc

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

First time building a pc

Post by Inuyasha108 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 am
([msg=36996]see First time building a pc[/msg])

Hey guys It's my first time trying to build my own pc and I was wondering what all parts I need to make a good rig geared mostly towards gaming and basic home applications like word, excell and stuff. I'm just wondering what all parts I need to have in order to do this properly. basically I'm looking to make a check list of hardware parts I need to pick out like a case,motherboard, processor, video card, Ethernet card, memory etc... any help would be appreciated. also any suggestions on websites where I can get parts at a decent price would help out alot.

EDT: I don't wan't to go too far overboard but around $2000. Unless that won't build the type of rig I want, I don't really care much for how it looks so long as it runs good.
BUDGET: as previously stated preferably under $2000 but the absolute limit is $2500
Last edited by Inuyasha108 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inuyasha108
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: First time building a pc

Post by DamegedSpy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 am
([msg=37002]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

First determine the budget.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by night8wing on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 pm
([msg=37128]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

hey dude first of all u should say how much your budget,anyway i will give you the best thing option :

first: the mainboard (mother board) gigabyte is the best broads take a look to this board GA-P55A-UD4P

Intel® P55 Chipset
Industry leading 12 phase power VRM design for optimum power efficiency and thermal solution
Leading quality standard of Ultra Durable™ 3 technology with 2oz copper PCB design
Supports newest NEC SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with superfast transfer rates of up to 5 Gbps
3X USB power delivery for greater compatibility and extra power for USB devices
Provides newest Marvell SE9128 high speed SATA3 storage interface with superfast 6Gbps link speed
Support Intel Core i7/ Core i5 processors with LGA 1156 socket
New Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2 technology enables best energy efficiency
Innovative Smart 6 technology for smarter PC management
Support both ATI CrossFireX and NVIDIA SLI for ultimate graphics performance
Smart TPM provides 2048 bits key via Bluetooth cellphone
Smart DualLAN with Intelligent LAN port auto-switching
XHD technology accelerating hard drive performance with ease
Patented GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ technology delivering highest level failure protection
Supports Dolby Home Theater audio to create a stunning surround sound listening experience
The Precision OV provides more precision voltage control for system
Compatible with Windows 7 to deliver the best operation experience

second:the processor its the big deal of life u should buy a good processor to ensure the power and stablity of the machine.get a intel core-i7 its new one and its the best thing till now.

core i7 920 is the best choice 340$...

thrid:the video card (i'am Ati fan)ati is recommended for super gaming experience.ati using a lot of high technologies like eyefinity,crossfire,etc.

Ati HD4850 is the best

ATI Radeon HD 4850 - 650MHz/850MHz/1140MHz core/shader/memory clock speeds, 20.8 GTexel/s (32 TMU x 0.65 GHz) fill-rate, available in 256MB/512MB of GDDR3 memory or 512MB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 1.73GHz
note:you can buy two of this card and use the crossfire(multi gpu)for best gaming experience ever..

fourth:
the ram get a DDR3 ram with high bus(Kingston is kinda good)

fifth:
cooling system get any thing you like just give the seller this list of your hardware and he will give something works with it,the power supply you get a good brand power supply it should be over 450 watt ....

have a nice gaming experience :)
night8wing
New User
New User

Post by Draymire on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 pm
([msg=37130]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

Here is what my fig consists of

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 ~$350
CPU: Core I7 920 ~$340
RAM: 6gb Corsair XMS3 kit ~$150
Graphics: EVGA GTX 285 ~ $400
PSU: Corasair 650w ~$140
Cooler: Nocuta NH-U12P ~$80

That is about $1460 then you just need to find a case to put it in(can be found for ~$30), a mouse, a keyboard, and a monitor

Hope that helps
Baba Ram Dass "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by DamegedSpy on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:04 pm
([msg=37135]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

Well, you had not reply so I will consider an unlimited budget.

I always first choose the case. Why? Because if it is the biggest part.
Wikipedia wrote:A computer case (also known as a computer chassis, cabinet, box, tower, enclosure, housing or simply case) is the enclosure that contains the main components of a computer. A computer case is sometimes incorrectly referred to metonymously as a CPU or hard drive referring to components housed within the case. CPU was a more common term in the earlier days of home computers, when peripherals other than the motherboard were usually housed in their own separate cases.

Now the case I recommend you(With unlimited budget) is a CoolerMaster HAF(High AirFlow) 932
CoolerMaster USA wrote:Image
With pure innovative strength, Cooler Master, the leader in enthusiast computer components, has unleashed yet another prevailing arsenal to compete in the full-tower chassis segment. Proud and robust in its appearance, the HAF 932 presents its sturdy sentinel housing and revolutionary High Air Flow structure to enhance and protect any hardware component that is worthy of the highest performance.

Second thing to select is the motherboard. This is because we know what the mobo fits. And other hardware is restricted by this.
Wikipedia wrote:A motherboard is the central printed circuit board (PCB) in many modern computers and holds many of the crucial components of the system, while providing connectors for other peripherals. The motherboard is sometimes alternatively known as the main board, system board, or, on Apple computers, the logic board.[1] It is also sometimes casually shortened to mobo.

I recommend waiting until April for the ASUS Rampage III Extreme
DreamGadget wrote:Image
This motherboard supports Intel CPUs LGA 1366, triple-channel DDR3, four PCI-Express x16 with nVidia NF200 bridge chip, 6.0Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 ports. Other features include Gigabit LAN, 7.1 channel audio, eSATA, FireWire, and multiple USB 2.0 ports.

Third is the CPU. It is a crucial part of any build.
Wikipedia]The Central Processing Unit (CPU) or the processor is the portion of a computer system that carries out the instructions of a computer program, and is the primary element carrying out the computer's functions. This term has been in use in the computer industry at least since the early 1960s [1]. The form, design and implementation of CPUs have changed dramatically since the earliest examples, but their fundamental operation remains much the same.[/quote]

I recommend the Intel i7 980X to be released this month.
[quote]Image[/quote]

Then it is the memory.(Not Hard Drive)
[quote="Wikipedia wrote:
Random-access memory (usually known by its acronym, RAM) is a form of computer data storage. Today, it takes the form of integrated circuits that allow stored data to be accessed in any order (i.e., at random). The word random thus refers to the fact that any piece of data can be returned in a constant time, regardless of its physical location and whether or not it is related to the previous piece of data.

I suggest any DDR3-SDRAM-1600 or over 1600. With a capacity of 4GB

Then it is the Graphics Card turn.
Wikipedia wrote:A video card, video adapter, graphics-accelerator card, display adapter or graphics card is an expansion card whose function is to generate and output images to a display. Many video cards offer added functions, such as accelerated rendering of 3D scenes and 2D graphics, video capture, TV-tuner adapter, MPEG-2/MPEG-4 decoding, FireWire, light pen, TV output, or the ability to connect multiple monitors (multi-monitor). Other modern high performance video cards are used for more graphically demanding purposes, such as PC games.

I recommend >2< ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB(Please, stock version)
ADM/ATI wrote:Image
Engineered for speed, the ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 delivers an unrivaled HD gaming experience so you can play the latest, most demanding HD titles like never before.2 Featuring cutting-edge graphic, display and memory technology, this next-generation powerhouse delivers unprecedented performance straight out of the box. Unlocked, this graphics card has massive headroom so you can take control and push your hardware to its full potential!3

Other stuff:
Blackmagic Design wrote:Image
Add the incredible quality of HDMI to your computer. Intensity features the latest HDMI technology for the highest quality capture and playback on Windows™ or Mac OS X™ computers. Now you can edit using big-screen HDMI televisions and video projectors, or capture uncompressed quality from HDV cameras

Display:
Main: Bravia NX800 60"(3D Ready)
Auxiliar: >4< Dell UltraSharp U2711
|******|-_-[_]
|____|[_][_][_] <--Set up left is main(60") auxiliar on the right folded for inversion making 3 sides of an hexagon. To one 45* over you.
+ 3D Glasses and stuff.

Cooling:
CoolIT Freezone Elite CPU Chiller
Koolance VID-AR597
Other Koolance stuff like radiator, pump, liquid and fan/fan controllers.

The only thing that wins to this build is a Cray computer

There it i8s. Please post your Budget ASAP!
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by Inuyasha108 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 pm
([msg=37594]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

thanks for all the help but is it possible for me to find all the hardware ya'll mentioned from one location or do i need to order it from multiple places?
Inuyasha108
New User
New User

Post by DamegedSpy on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 pm
([msg=37599]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

You can get almost all at Amazon. However I suggest you buy it in Local Shops. Easier and maybe they can help you troubleshoot. A question, are you rich with a lot of money to trash? 0_o
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by Vulpine on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:58 pm
([msg=37600]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

Inuyasha108 wrote:thanks for all the help but is it possible for me to find all the hardware ya'll mentioned from one location or do i need to order it from multiple places?

Newegg.com is a great place for hardware shopping. They have pretty good prices, and I've had nothing but tremendously good experience with their return policy. They also provide customer reviews of all parts, which is invaluable, in my opinion.

Edit:
Also, with a $2000 budget, you should have no difficulty affording the sweetest rig on the block with money to spare.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Sweetest Computer

Post by DamegedSpy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:50 am
([msg=37617]see Sweetest Computer[/msg])

I got the best computer. :D
Fear the crays!
No, I don't have this. D:
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:48 am
([msg=37624]see Re: First time building a pc[/msg])

You should post your final rig result with photo... what total cost with taxes and shipping too.. be interested to know myself.. I need to buy a new computer.. my budget is about $50. It will be $42 after lunch.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Hardware