what is your personal experience that makes you believe?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

what is your personal experience that makes you believe?

Post by dark159123 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 pm
([msg=36951]see what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

what is your personal experience that makes you believe in god? (couldn't type it all due to char cap)

tell about what personal experience you've had that makes you believe in god, like a miracle (or just something that YOU think is a miracle), or something just really amazing that to you is evidence of gods existence.

this is not the place to argue/flame! this is for "evidence" FOR god ONLY!
this is to hear the religious people's side of this very popular discussion.
Scientia Est Sanctum

Security is not to be archieved by eliminating danger, but by learning to defend yourself against it
dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?

Post by sanddbox on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 pm
([msg=36965]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

dark159123 wrote:what is your personal experience that makes you believe in god? (couldn't type it all due to char cap)

tell about what personal experience you've had that makes you believe in god, like a miracle (or just something that YOU think is a miracle), or something just really amazing that to you is evidence of gods existence.

this is not the place to argue/flame! this is for "evidence" FOR god ONLY!
this is to hear the religious people's side of this very popular discussion.

One time, I was inside my church and a man walked in. I felt an odd sensation, like cool water touching my mind, and without any explainable reason I knew everything about this person. I knew his name; his job; the names of his children - literally everything about him. However, I stupidly dismissed this.

Later on, I was having a conversation with him about how stupid evolution was (I mean really? The idea that we magically spawned from rocks is ridiculous. Besides, if we evolved from apes, howcome monkeys aren't extinct?) and I remembered that experience I'd had half an hour ago. I asked him his name...and to my surprise, his name was Thomas - the exact name I thought it was. I asked him if his son was named Zach, and he said yes (suspiciously, of course). At that point, I could barely hold back tears.

Anyways, that's my story of how I was touched by god.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 pm
([msg=36967]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Anyways, that's my story of how I was touched by god.

inb4 - it was your dad, pastor, etc.

Admittedly, while I may not believe in a god personally, I have had experiences that I can't quite explain.

When I was younger, my dad had two major surgeries. One was on his shoulder, and one was on his knee. On both occasions, the exact same region on my body started hurting like a really bad sunburn. Now, some may be thinking "Well it was obviously sympathetic pain" but it wasn't. In both cases, I reported this pain within 1 hour of my dad receiving the injury. Nobody in the family knew about his injuries until several hours afterwards. Nobody could have told me about them, leading to sympathy pain.

Now, I'm open to whatever interpretation people want to give. I honestly cannot begin to imagine how this would happen, but I don't know of any scientific explanation. I'm not saying this is evidence of God. I am saying this is one of the reasons I don't dismiss God entirely.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by dark159123 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:18 am
([msg=37011]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

thanks for telling your storys, and even though i do have a (kinda) scientific theory about your story goatboy, this is not the place to talk about them (pm me if you really wanna hear it)...

i am looking forward to anybody else willing to share their storys!
Scientia Est Sanctum

Security is not to be archieved by eliminating danger, but by learning to defend yourself against it
dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cilpolir on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 am
([msg=37015]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

I had quitte the same experience as sanddbox, but for me it was with a girl I met last holliday, when I saw her I knew everything about her, her name , her age, number etc. I even knew who she would end up with at the end of that week, and no it wasn't me :P I don't know if it was thanks to god I knew these things, but I haven't found a way to explain it otherwise
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by TheNightFox on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 am
([msg=37053]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

cilpolir wrote:I had quitte the same experience as sanddbox, but for me it was with a girl I met last holliday, when I saw her I knew everything about her, her name , her age, number etc. I even knew who she would end up with at the end of that week, and no it wasn't me :P I don't know if it was thanks to god I knew these things, but I haven't found a way to explain it otherwise

Facebook stalking, perhaps?
Kidding.

Unfortunately, I've never had a religious experience.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by NeoAtHTS on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:07 am
([msg=37060]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

Does your past count as an experience? ;)

Well, my parents were theists and they brought me up as one.
I'd go to temples, do my prayers, pray everyday,
but out of nowhere a series of events(bad) happened to me,
and as a finale I've become an atheist. :|

the end

la fin
Run.
NeoAtHTS
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by dark159123 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 am
([msg=37061]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

@neoathts i think you misunderstood the concept of this thread, or you just didnt read the first post, which is more likely... this isn't about why you're an atheist (which i am too but that is irrelevant), why X is a theist, what makes this person believe in something like a god?
Scientia Est Sanctum

dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by NeoAtHTS on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 am
([msg=37062]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

dark159123 wrote:@neoathts i think you misunderstood the concept of this thread, or you just didnt read the first post, which is more likely... this isn't about why you're an atheist (which i am too but that is irrelevant), why X is a theist, what makes this person believe in something like a god?

"what is your personal experience that makes you believe in god?" was the thread.

for which I answered with my personal experience that "made" me believe in god.
the thing is it was past.
and i thought my past might add as an answer. ;)

nothing else was my intent.
Run.
NeoAtHTS
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by dark159123 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:02 pm
([msg=37160]see Re: what is your personal experience that makes you believe?[/msg])

@neoathts yeah the thread's name was "what is your personal experience that makes you believe?" which is in a present form (i dont know what it's called in english), i have no intent to be rude for that matter, it was just a fact...
i think the thing that made you history "irrelevant" was the fact that you didnt specify what bad events happened to you, ofcourse you dont have to say it if you dont feel like telling but just remember that it may make it seem irrelevant, afterall we've all experienced some really bad stuff (well most of us anyway...) eg. my father died when i was eleven which gave me a real reason to completely cut the last link i had to religion (i didnt have any really, as i have never really believed but i just didnt care enough to think more about religion, other than just: what ever i'm just gonna be christian untill i care to find something that seems more logical. and know i never thought about it before it became worth the "trouble")

so if you want to i would be interested to hear your story in a more detailed form *smiley with a smile that is like the smiley at 3,1 but with the eyes like 2,1*
Scientia Est Sanctum

dark159123
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Ethics