4-Dimension

Post by DamegedSpy on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 am
([msg=36300]see 4-Dimension[/msg])

Just about seeing some movies and doing some research I found this:
Movie that started my curiosity
The object/room/prison in the movie
Simple Rotation
Double Rotation

All this rise me some question. What if the Universe is basically this? We are trapped in what we believe is an infinite place. What if we were inside an atom and it would be the 2Dimension while the quarks be the first dimension?

How could life if any be in a 4,5, or n dimension?
:/ Damn it. I am going to stay up at night again.
I will share any info I found on this.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 4-Dimension

Post by neuromanta on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 am
([msg=36301]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

A sentence of my information theory professor comes into my mind: "Now, imagine a 5 dimensional cube. What's the problem? It's easy: every side is a 4D cube" :)
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by r-ID on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:18 am
([msg=36303]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

as far as i know, the most acceptable theory today is M-Theory. M-Theory (11 dimensions) unifies string theory (10 dimensions) and micro dimensions (1).
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by runninggee57 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 am
([msg=36314]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

I found a really cool site a while back (of course now I can't find the link) that proposed the universe being a hypersphere. 4D sphere. It basically said that the expansion of this hypersphere was what caused gravity. Objects with mass would make small depressions in the hypersphere and as it expanded, these objects would tend to slide towards each other.

It also, explained why everything was getting farther away from earth. The analogy they used was a balloon. If you put a bunch of dots on an unblown-up balloon and then put air in it, the dots all get farther away from each other at the same speed. Now, if you extrapolate this idea to the balloon being a hypersphere instead of a 3D sphere, and the surface of the balloon is now 3D, then the dots can all be planets and suns and such.

It's a very good site and I'll post the link if I find it.
runninggee57
New User
New User

Post by DamegedSpy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:33 pm
([msg=36420]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

Now some of the stuff I found is that an entity from an upper dimension could cause effects in ours.
If hypothetically speaking the 4th dimension is time. Then maybe we are an *effect* of it moving. Does that mean that all of us follow a patter? :S

For the other part there is the question of "are we something bigger?"

Now if we can create infinite dimensions up. Then it would be *hypothetically speaking* the 0 dimension that created everything around us. (0Dimencion is a particle; like a dot) Then something must had created it. Which mean that we could create matter and/or energy out of nothing. :/
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by neuromanta on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 am
([msg=36448]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

DamegedSpy wrote:Now some of the stuff I found is that an entity from an upper dimension could cause effects in ours.
If hypothetically speaking the 4th dimension is time. Then maybe we are an *effect* of it moving. Does that mean that all of us follow a patter? :S

For the other part there is the question of "are we something bigger?"

Now if we can create infinite dimensions up. Then it would be *hypothetically speaking* the 0 dimension that created everything around us. (0Dimencion is a particle; like a dot) Then something must had created it. Which mean that we could create matter and/or energy out of nothing. :/

A very interesting theory. But why are you sad about it? It is a spiritual and scientific truth, that everything in our universe is made of pure energy, everything is just a part of this huge energy field (the particles you mentioned are called quarks). Therefore, we are just an energy wave, oscillating on an exact frequency. Even our thoughts are made of energy. So, because we are part of this world, like a H2O molecule in the ocean, we have the ability to alter the reality. Why is it so sad?
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by DamegedSpy on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:16 am
([msg=36453]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

Its not sad xD
Its confusing.
What I am suggesting is that life and time are an illusion. We are robots trying to reproduce. However, I am also suggesting that maybe we are more and we are the effects of an entity from another dimension major than 4 affecting a 3dimensional universe thereby having unlimited power or being a 4dimensional entity that have unlimited power over ourself.

Also, what if I, you or anyone else have no difference of a SI?(Synthetic Intelligence)
What makes up an individual? Is the souls we speak about the entities I previously mentioned?
Could we "fold" our reality and shape our own universe?

Mhhh, this will again keep me up all night xD(Simply of analyzing this rises me more questions).
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by xfelix on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:27 pm
([msg=36839]see Re: 4-Dimension[/msg])

Visualizing the 4th dimension is fun to think about :D, and if you take calculus 3 you start talking about this kind of stuff. Here is the equation of a 2d circle

x^2 + y^2 = r^2

x is the independent variable, y is the dependent, and r is the radius constant variable. Now for a 3d sphere we have the following equation

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2

Now x and y are both independent variables, and z is dependent on x and y, and r is still a constant variable. So a 3d coordinate system looks like this

(the cube in the center is for visual aid)

this coordinate system is composed of 3 planes, xy, xz, yz, so when you're graphing any old function like
f(x) = x^2 this function graph is sitting on the z = k plane where k is a constant.

So if z = 0 we get the 2d circle again. This is the level curve at z = 0. And the range of z will be -r <= z <= r, look at the case when z = r.

z^2 = r^2
x^2 + y^2 = 0

This is a 2d circle of a radius 0, which is nothing. Now playing around with a 4d equation...

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + q^2 = r^2

where x,y, and z are all independent variables, and q depends on x, y, and z, and r is still the radius variable. This is an equation of a hyper sphere, and can't be graphed directly, but can be observed in a similar way we observed a 3d sphere.

if we let q = 0, we obtain the 3d equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, Instead of level curves we have level surfaces, where the 3d sphere is the surface at different levels of q = k where k is a constant. Look at it like this

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2 - q^2

so as q increases and approaches r the radius of the sphere will be getting smaller and smaller. So a hyper sphere can be thought of as a sphere within a sphere and so on like a 3d sphere can be thought of as a circle within a circle, etc.

Now if you wanted to find formulas such as the volume of a hyper-sphere you would have to do a triple integral of the hypersphere equation. This get's ugly, not so much the integration part, but finding the domains to integrate over. :S
If you like thinking about higher dimensions you would definitely have alot of fun in calc 3.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Math & Science