why worship gods?

For discussing religion and related topics.

why worship gods?

Post by hacker85 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:57 pm
([msg=36270]see why worship gods?[/msg])

I am an atheist, but my views on gods angels and other stuff like that is: even if there is a god why should we worship him? look at all humans have accomplished. And all we can accomplish, to me we are gods, we can build our muscles to lift hundreds of pounds. We can adapt quickly, we have created math,science and whole civilizations. if we somehow tapped into the full power of our brains and muscles we would be almost unstoppable. So to me I think no god(if there is one) is worthy of our worship to me the only things worthy of our worship is ourselves.
Image
hacker85
New User
New User
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 pm
([msg=36272]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

I don't think we created math or science...
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:41 pm
([msg=36276]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Looks like someone just read The Lost Symbol.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by hacker85 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:43 pm
([msg=36277]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

what is the lost symbol?
Image
hacker85
New User
New User
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:55 pm
([msg=36278]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

hacker85 wrote:what is the lost symbol?

A book by Dan Brown. (I haven't read it yet).
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by orwell84 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:01 pm
([msg=36279]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:I don't think we created math or science...

I agree. It was more of a discovery than a creation.
Mens et manus.
User avatar
orwell84
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by Bren2010 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
([msg=36280]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

hacker85 wrote:I am an atheist, but my views on gods angels and other stuff like that is: even if there is a god why should we worship him? look at all humans have accomplished. And all we can accomplish, to me we are gods, we can build our muscles to lift hundreds of pounds. We can adapt quickly, we have created math,science and whole civilizations. if we somehow tapped into the full power of our brains and muscles we would be almost unstoppable. So to me I think no god(if there is one) is worthy of our worship to me the only things worthy of our worship is ourselves.


If there is a god, we should worship him. Just how you should respect your parents although you're already born. They will still always be there for support, and if they weren't (because you don't respect them), a lot of people would probably be pretty lost.

Not to mention, worshiping yourself will most likely cause an ego the size of a blimp, which will only cause ego fights (i.e. "I'm smarter!", "No! I'm smarter!").

orwell84 wrote:
sanddbox wrote:I don't think we created math or science...

I agree. It was more of a discovery than a creation.


Math and science was created by us. There's something called Number Theory, which is the theory of how numbers relate to things in the real world. Just how English is used to communicate, French can do the same thing, along with Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and a whole load of others.
User avatar
Bren2010
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:40 pm
([msg=36283]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:
hacker85 wrote:I am an atheist, but my views on gods angels and other stuff like that is: even if there is a god why should we worship him? look at all humans have accomplished. And all we can accomplish, to me we are gods, we can build our muscles to lift hundreds of pounds. We can adapt quickly, we have created math,science and whole civilizations. if we somehow tapped into the full power of our brains and muscles we would be almost unstoppable. So to me I think no god(if there is one) is worthy of our worship to me the only things worthy of our worship is ourselves.


If there is a god, we should worship him. Just how you should respect your parents although you're already born. They will still always be there for support, and if they weren't (because you don't respect them), a lot of people would probably be pretty lost.

Not to mention, worshiping yourself will most likely cause an ego the size of a blimp, which will only cause ego fights (i.e. "I'm smarter!", "No! I'm smarter!").

orwell84 wrote:
sanddbox wrote:I don't think we created math or science...

I agree. It was more of a discovery than a creation.


Math and science was created by us. There's something called Number Theory, which is the theory of how numbers relate to things in the real world. Just how English is used to communicate, French can do the same thing, along with Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and a whole load of others.


Number Theory has nothing to do with this argument. The numbers were already there; we were just the ones to see them.

Thus, we discovered it.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 pm
([msg=36290]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

You can't really say that the numbers were already there. This is how I think of it.

Caveman saw some rocks, and told his wife to go to the group of rocks. But there were many groups of rocks. So the caveman had to use his intelligence to describe to her that it was a group of three rocks.

There may have been three rocks there since the dawn of time, but someone had to think of the concept of numbers in order to properly perceive or describe them.

As for science, we definitely invented that. Science is defined as

Code: Select all
  1.

      The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.

.

Once again, things in nature occur, but humans invented science as a way to observe and understand them.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
User avatar
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: why worship gods?

Post by Bren2010 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:02 pm
([msg=36327]see Re: why worship gods?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
Bren2010 wrote:
sanddbox wrote:I don't think we created math or science...


Math and science was created by us. There's something called Number Theory, which is the theory of how numbers relate to things in the real world. Just how English is used to communicate, French can do the same thing, along with Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and a whole load of others.


Number Theory has nothing to do with this argument. The numbers were already there; we were just the ones to see them.

Thus, we discovered it.


Number Theory has everything to do with what your talking about. God can use whatever he wants to count, or maybe he doesn't even count at all.

insomaniacal wrote:Once again, things in nature occur, but humans invented science as a way to observe and understand them.

^ Just what I was trying to think of a way to say.
User avatar
Bren2010
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests