how to read Javascripts

Bad threads go here

how to read Javascripts

Post by rustyrob on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am
([msg=36028]see how to read Javascripts[/msg])

Hello, you can call me Rustyrob,

I have been having and see that other people are having trouble reading Java scripts so i would like it if people would please post anything about how to read Java scripts like strange symbols that we don't understand also don't post anything along the lines of JGI or just Google it or something like that because even Google does not have all their is to understand about the amazing complicated symbols and signs JavaScript Uses.

So far here is all i know about the confusing symbols == means equal to. +" "+ i barely understand but i think it means add 2 objects together for example: Password == (super +" "+ space) the password would be super space also remember that when you see this there is a space in between the words its not one word.

Unescape is a special encoding that JavaScript can use so if you have a unescape encryption Google unescape decryption then enter the code and it will show what it says
Last edited by rustyrob on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustyrob
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how to read Javascripts

Post by orwell84 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 am
([msg=36029]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

rustyrob wrote:i would like it if people would please post anything about how to read Java scripts

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp <-- you mean like this?
...Or do you mean java? You did mention both...
javascript != java
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by rustyrob on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:54 pm
([msg=36033]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

orwell84 wrote:
rustyrob wrote:i would like it if people would please post anything about how to read Java scripts
<br>http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp <-- you mean like this?<br>...Or do you mean java? You did mention both...<br>javascript != java

Java? Java the program is different that JavaScript, i meant the html and JavaScript like the symbols like in the link you posted. Java is a interactive program that if i am right reads and interacts with JavaScripts.
rustyrob
New User
New User

Post by orwell84 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54 pm
([msg=36038]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

No. Java is a compiled language, somewhat similar to C++. It is object oriented, and is also used in web pages. However, it is normally for "applets" such as games, or other things that are too complex for simple javascript. Javascript, on the other hand, is put into html in between <script=text/javascript> and </script> tags. Javascript is used for client-side scripting on the Internet. What is meant by client-side is that it is executed by the computer requesting the html document--i.e., the user, or "client." This is different from server-side scripting, such as php or perl, where it is executed by the server. Javascript is often used to validate email addresses before sending them to the server, so as not to waste system resources on the server.
Java is also client-side, I believe, but it is first compiled as 'bytecode,' which the java platform executes on your computer. Bytecode is also why java is portable, because any computer with java support executes it properly, from the way bytecode works.
In any case, if you wanted to learn how to code Javascript, the link I gave is an excellent resource. Also, if you want to see code examples, all you have to do is view the source of (almost) any webpage and look for the script tags. There are also numerous code repositories where you can find sample code.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by haha01haha01 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm
([msg=36044]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

orwell84 wrote:No. Java is a compiled language, somewhat similar to C++. It is object oriented, and is also used in web pages. However, it is normally for "applets" such as games, or other things that are too complex for simple javascript. Javascript, on the other hand, is put into html in between <script=text/javascript> and </script> tags. Javascript is used for client-side scripting on the Internet. What is meant by client-side is that it is executed by the computer requesting the html document--i.e., the user, or "client." This is different from server-side scripting, such as php or perl, where it is executed by the server. Javascript is often used to validate email addresses before sending them to the server, so as not to waste system resources on the server.
Java is also client-side, I believe, but it is first compiled as 'bytecode,' which the java platform executes on your computer. Bytecode is also why java is portable, because any computer with java support executes it properly, from the way bytecode works.
In any case, if you wanted to learn how to code Javascript, the link I gave is an excellent resource. Also, if you want to see code examples, all you have to do is view the source of (almost) any webpage and look for the script tags. There are also numerous code repositories where you can find sample code.
JavaScript is simply the script version of Java, like VB and VBScript, C# and CSScript, etc.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by orwell84 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 pm
([msg=36048]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

haha01haha01 wrote:JavaScript is simply the script version of Java, like VB and VBScript, C# and CSScript, etc.

"JavaScript, despite the name, is essentially unrelated to the Java programming language even though the two do have superficial similarities. Both languages use syntaxes influenced by that of C syntax, and JavaScript copies many Java names and naming conventions"
"The change of name from LiveScript to JavaScript roughly coincided with Netscape adding support for Java technology in its Netscape Navigator web browser...The naming has caused confusion, giving the impression that the language is a spin-off of Java, and it has been characterized by many as a marketing ploy by Netscape to give JavaScript the cachet of what was then the hot new web-programming language."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript)

Not to be rude, but what evidence is there that it's just the scripting version of Java?
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by rustyrob on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:49 pm
([msg=36051]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

ok please end of argument i just want to learn more about the meanings of the complicated symbols that JavaScript uses
rustyrob
New User
New User

Post by orwell84 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:54 pm
([msg=36052]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure I know the truth.
Anyway, the example you gave of .." + "... is given on this part of the tutorial I linked to:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_operators.asp
As for any other questions, they're probably described elsewhere in the tutorial; if not, searching the necessary syntax in google along with 'javascript' is the best advice I can give.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm
([msg=36055]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

None of the symbols are complicated.

A semicolon is used to end a statement (;)
Quotation marks are used for Strings ("Hello")
++ adds one to a value - for instance , if there is a variable i with a value of 3, i++ will bump i up to 4.

To add two objects together, you say object1 += object2.

If you say something like alert("java" + " " + "script");, then that will also add objects together.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by boxmein on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 am
([msg=58777]see Re: how to read Javascripts[/msg])

The "strange symbols" you mean might be operators. They are common in most programming languages.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80%29.aspx This does go for c#, but is the same for most programming languages.
Some that may not be in the list above:
{ code } is a code block container. As javascript is not row sensitive, its code could be cluttered without code blocks so they are contained as so.
functionName(arguments) is when you make a code block and call it a certain name, it is a function. Functions can take arguments as to make them more useful.
And, Java scripts is not the same as Javascript. Javascript was originally known as ECMAscript, dunno why it's now Javascript.
Java is different from Javascript.
boxmein
New User
New User

Return to Graveyard