Defaults List

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Defaults List

Post by fiftysixer on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:30 am
([msg=25001]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

The BIOS has a tiny program on it that starts your computer. It stores it's configuration data on a little memory chip that requires a battery to keep alive. If you take out this battery, the config data will be deleted. This data includes device information, boot sequence, and the password (among other stuff).

So if you ever forget your BIOS password, just take out the battery for a few minutes and you're all good. Of course, you'll have to re-set all the settings, but at least you'll be able to get into BIOS. Many motherboards have a jumper you can use instead of taking out the battery.

I don't know if all do this, but I do know that some motherboard models have a backdoor BIOS password. Call up the manufacturer, if you're lucky they might give you a password that'll work on that particular motherboard model (and possibly others). I used to have a list of them, if I can find it I'll post.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by _kernel32_ on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 pm
([msg=35539]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

deleted by _kernel32_
Last edited by _kernel32_ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
_kernel32_
New User
New User

Post by ezah on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:17 pm
([msg=35545]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

Well Kernal, Mind explaining your method for cracking the encryption? (i'm assuming its just the encrypted password or default password, But i'm probably wrong)
ezah
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 pm
([msg=35546]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

_kernel32_ wrote:Removing the CMOS battery does not always work. Especially with the newer EPROM security. Since this is a separate chip away from the jumper or CMOS battery. There is another alternative. If someone would like to see for themselves try this. If you have two computers set a bios password on one and of course the 2nd will be to get online to this forum. You are going to enter in the WRONG bios password 3 times and it should give you a code. It will be either HEX or DEC. Once you reply with this code I will give you a password to put in that you WILL NOT find on the net.

_kernel32_

[No reason for annoyingly large text. Thanks. -Insomaniacal

...or to necro this thread. Let it R.I.P.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by _kernel32_ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 am
([msg=35677]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

I didn't realize that a few simple caps on key points on what I submitted would get such negative responses from the Moderators. How making key points stand out as a bad thing and to be called "annoying" is not something I would expect from Moderators on a forum that praises members for donating (was thinking of making some donations of my own). When I came across this site I was impressed with everything and was quick to register and start taking part in what I thought would be a meaningful community to be part of.... I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm sure ill be bashed on, made fun of, cussed at and then member account deleted which ill be asking for anyway. One should never stay quiet when being at the end of others meaningless attempt of exaggerated authority when only trying to offer information.

_kernel32_

"Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking"
_kernel32_
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:39 am
([msg=35678]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

I have no problem with what you posted, but you posted it all in size 150 font, it just isn't necessary.

No need to take offense. Thread Necroing is a problem everywhere, it just gets redundant, feel free to start a new thread if an old thread sparks your interest in a topic.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by _kernel32_ on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 am
([msg=35754]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

Font size 150? I thought most conventional text editors had a max font size of 72 unless typed in manually. I thought within phpbb it was 130. (ACP > General >Board Configuration > Post settings). When I posted this particular reply (and I also replied to a couple other topics) I didn't touch any of the font settings on the site text editor only enabled caps lock on my keyboard. So this very well be something that needs to be looked into. I believe changing the way your text appears defines the type of individual you are. But again I just wanted the key points to stand out so those with less experience would focus on it and be able to understand what I was explaining. I appreciate the rapid response to my last post and this could have simply been over looked, but you responded in a positive and respectful way. I'd like to continue to visit this site and pass on some of my knowledge to others. I have 11 years in information technology with certifications in Microsoft, CompTia, EC Council's CEH and currently going for Cisco's 640-822 ICND1 and enjoy helping others.
_kernel32_
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:47 am
([msg=35755]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

_kernel32_ wrote:I believe changing the way your text appears defines the type of individual you are.

.......yeah, f**** personality. I can't stand people who italicize.

Also, no need to write a huge paragraph about how qualified you are when the issue is just text size. It's not that big of a deal, so no need to be defensive ;)

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:35 am
([msg=35764]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

_kernel32_ wrote:Font size 150? I thought most conventional text editors had a max font size of 72 unless typed in manually. I thought within phpbb it was 130. (ACP > General >Board Configuration > Post settings). When I posted this particular reply (and I also replied to a couple other topics) I didn't touch any of the font settings on the site text editor only enabled caps lock on my keyboard. So this very well be something that needs to be looked into. I believe changing the way your text appears defines the type of individual you are. But again I just wanted the key points to stand out so those with less experience would focus on it and be able to understand what I was explaining. I appreciate the rapid response to my last post and this could have simply been over looked, but you responded in a positive and respectful way. I'd like to continue to visit this site and pass on some of my knowledge to others. I have 11 years in information technology with certifications in Microsoft, CompTia, EC Council's CEH and currently going for Cisco's 640-822 ICND1 and enjoy helping others.

You are correct, however I was referring to the '[size=150]' tags that were around your entire post, which I removed. It could've been accidental, or even possibly a glitch with formatting. Regardless, it's not big deal, and please feel free to stick around and share what you know with the others here :)
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Zaitsev11 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:56 pm
([msg=59423]see Re: Defaults List[/msg])

I have many times used the following at the Apple store:
Airport Utility admin password: apple
Original, isn't it? :lol:
Zaitsev11
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General