Windows 7

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Windows 7

Post by thetan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:22 pm
([msg=35601]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

TuxOnIce FTW!!
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by faazshift on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:42 pm
([msg=35606]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

thetan wrote:TuxOnIce FTW!!

Dude... awesome. I've wondered if there was a linux equivalent.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MrChukklez on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:11 am
([msg=41343]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

Not saying I plan on doing illegal activities, but I've heard that for some reason W7 is incapable of hacking. I figured if it was true someone would have already mentioned it here in the forums, but I might as well check with a hacker using Windows7. Well?
MrChukklez
New User
New User

Post by Draymire on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 am
([msg=41344]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

I believe sanddbox uses win7 and enjoys it. If you don't know who he is you will quickly if you stick around.

I have found that vista boots faster than win 7, which is odd because my vista is on a laptop with an amd turion64 x2 with 2gb of ram and my win 7 is on a core i7 920 with 6 gb of ram. I think the slow down may be caused by the dual booting.
Baba Ram Dass "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:58 pm
([msg=41347]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

You can hack from a toaster or roadkill if you were able to establish an Internet connection.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Overlord5 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:39 pm
([msg=41407]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

Personally I dislike 7. While it is an improvement over vista, the added features become too much, especially explorer... As the great Sheldon Cooper says, "It's too user friendly."
Overlord5
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:01 pm
([msg=41420]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

I ADMIT IT- I USE WINDOWS 7!

Seriously, though, I do. It's not the only distro I use (I also run Ubuntu and Gentoo occasionally, and occasionally experiment with FreeBSD). When people say you can't hack on Windows, they're more referring to the nature that with Windows you learn much less about how an operating system works (with GNU/Linux or FreeBSD stuff tends to break more easily, and what better way to learn how an OS works than to fix it?). They're not actually talking about hacking on Windows per se - especially because all you really need to hack is a web browser, a port scanner, and possibly a few other tools.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 am
([msg=41448]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:They're not actually talking about hacking on Windows per se - especially because all you really need to hack is a web browser, a port scanner, and possibly a few other tools.

Well no, they are. I certainly can't use Windows for any serious security work. A good command-line is pretty much crucial, I find, and this certainly can't be found on Windows. OS X would be fine, I'm sure, but personally I prefer Linux as there's a huge range of tools available from the start. Things like the "whois" command, etc, are just nice to have from the start.
Also, wireless hacking on Windows is pretty poor, I find. I've never had much success with it, anyway.

So yeah, you can use Windows - sure. But personally I find it much less fun to work with. That's just my view though.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by thetan on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 am
([msg=41658]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I certainly can't use Windows for any serious security work. A good command-line is pretty much crucial, I find, and this certainly can't be found on Windows.

Installation of Cygwin + Quick registry hack and i have a a Win key shortcut to bash on Windows 7. So yes, all i do on Windows 7 to get a bash prompt is i press the Windows logo key, then i type "bash", press enter and bam bash prompt. I run OpenSSH (server and client) on windows installations, as i've said in a previous post Flex/Bison, rsync, scp, gcc/g++ (because i refuse to learn Windows programming :) ).

My laptop is Windows 7, my work station at work is Debian and all my work servers are FreeBSD with the exception of a windows-server-2008 as a print server because CUPS in *nix fucking sucks.

In short, fuck OS. Fashizzle pop got it right, it doesn't matter. Get something you can use, learn something, do something and STFU and smile :) <3
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:05 pm
([msg=41674]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

File: ls.bat
Contents: dir

File: rm.bat
Contents: del

Seriously, though, there are a lot of tools that can eliminate or at least mitigate the command line problems (cygwin being the most popular). The fact that you want an operating system to hack on and yet are afraid to hack on Windows tells me you aren't really trying. Give Windows some love :P

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Windows