Fake Facebook profile

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Fake Facebook profile

Post by Jack_Payne on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 pm
([msg=33587]see Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

alright, there is this kid at my school that I'm pretty sure created a fake Facebook profile and has been stirring up a bunch of shit. The entire story is very sketchy and a lot of facts don't seem to add up (for instance, the profile states that they just moved from California, but in another section it talks about cheering for ICE, and I could not find any cheer team called ICE in California). the one thing that I don't understand is how they would obtain pictures for the profile. there are over twenty posted pictures. So, I wanted to know if anyone knew of some sort of site where you could obtain a bunch of random pics of people, or something of that.

Please help, I'd really like to catch this kid in the act. (any other related advice would be welcomed as well!).
Jack_Payne
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Fake Facebook profile

Post by faazshift on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36 pm
([msg=33588]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

You know, you can actually report fake profiles to facebook.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tgoe on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 pm
([msg=33589]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

(any other related advice would be welcomed as well!)

Don't get so worked up over a random profile featuring random people.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jack_Payne on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 pm
([msg=33590]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

Thanks for the comment about reporting profiles, haha I probably should have thought of that. But I'd really rather prefer some definitive proof to catch this person in the act rather than just making him "disappear".

And I'm not getting worked up about it. It's a bunch of other people at my school that have gotten caught up in it. I just want to get the credit for being the one that exposed this kid! haha :D
Jack_Payne
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 am
([msg=33594]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

Jack_Payne wrote:So, I wanted to know if anyone knew of some sort of site where you could obtain a bunch of random pics of people, or something of that.

Google Images.

If he/she really wanted to, he could steal it from a blog as well.

Jack_Payne wrote:I just want to get the credit for being the one that exposed this kid! haha :D

Ah, yes. Asking for our assistance and them claiming credit for it. We've never seen that before.

Hint: Maybe we have better things to do?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:30 am
([msg=33595]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Hint: Maybe we have better things to do?

HA HA HA HA HA HA! AAAHHHH! HO HO HA HA HA HAAAAA!

OMG! Ohh... Oh my God... Better things to do!? HAHAHA!

/me dies of an odd combination of laughter and sarcasm
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by sanddbox on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:45 am
([msg=33598]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Hint: Maybe we have better things to do?

HA HA HA HA HA HA! AAAHHHH! HO HO HA HA HA HAAAAA!

OMG! Ohh... Oh my God... Better things to do!? HAHAHA!

/me dies of an odd combination of laughter and sarcasm

...............................................................................................as if a Goat wasn't weird enough...

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 am
([msg=33608]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Don't get so worked up over a random profile featuring random people.

Agreed. Basically.....who cares? Why waste your time over some facebook profile? As far as pictures go, you could easily take them from google images, websites, profiles on myspace, facebook, friends, etc.
And since you do have this under 'Social Engineering', if it matters that much to you, why not give that a try? Try to befriend them, start conversations through emails to get a little more personal rather than posting comments on their page.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Jack_Payne on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 pm
([msg=33629]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

Well, I apologize for pissing some people off. I just simply wanted to know if there was some sort of site you could go to that had a shit ton of random pictures categorized by person to be used in making fake Myspace or FaceBook accounts, that's really it. But, anyway, I'm going to just delete this thread later anyway. Thanks to the people that didn't jump down my throat.

And btw, it's not as if I would have said, "Oh yeah, I knew exactly how to tell that this was a fake." I'm not a douche that doesn't give credit when credit is due. What I simply meant was that I would be the person at my school to get the credit. Not as if I wouldn't tell how I found out.
Jack_Payne
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 pm
([msg=33636]see Re: Fake Facebook profile[/msg])

People here get worked up about "newbs" a lot, so don't take it too hard if someone tells you off for something like this.

But basically, you could get pictures from anywhere. Hell, lots of forums even have a "Post your pic" thread, that ends up having multiple pictures of members. Then there's random public facebook/myspace accounts, blogs, and of course, google.

It'd be difficult to determine who is doing this though, unless you started talking to them and they let some personal information slip.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Social Engineering