Which cell phone do you use?

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Re: Which cell phone do you use?

Post by Defience on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:44 pm
([msg=28954]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

armywatts1, I'm curious as to why the military won't let you walk & talk on a cell phone at the same time.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by godofcereal on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm
([msg=28956]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

A general screaming LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT! And you going "yes dear I love you too".
YOU LOVE ME? 100 PUSH UPS!
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by easy2cy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 pm
([msg=33593]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

Defience wrote:armywatts1, I'm curious as to why the military won't let you walk & talk on a cell phone at the same time.

It's a safety issue. Not paying enough attention can get you hit by a car. You can use a hands-free device though.
Also, it's just a distraction in uniform where you might not notice an officer and therefore not salute him/her and then get yelled at.
It looks unprofessional to be walking around in uniform holding a phone up to your ear and blabbing away.
easy2cy
New User
New User

Post by Snackz on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:05 am
([msg=48857]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

Blackberry edge, heh
Snackz
New User
New User

Post by nasomancer on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 pm
([msg=49139]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

I use a G1, which I got almost immediately after it came out. I loved it at first, now it causes me nothing but frustration -- no one's fault but my own, though. I'm using Cyanogen's latest Nexus One rom (the last "stable release" worked pretty good, in case you're wondering). It's just like having a Nexus One that behaves a little (sometimes a lot) slower than a real Nexus One. I plan to upgrade when I get my tax return.

Pros:
Physical keyboard is nice for several reasons. Makes the Nintendo emulator easier to use (I can't imagine trying to play Mega Man on the touch screen alone) and because it's a QWERTY, I can text without even looking.

The screen is great in direct sunlight.

When not in direct sunlight, turning the brightness all the way down isn't unbearable.

It's pretty durable as long as you don't slide the screen out super fast.

Sounds good.

I charge it when I go to bed and the battery almost always makes it to the next charge, despite a lot of use throughout the day. (I turn the brightness down, disable wi-fi and GPS when I don't need 'em.)

Cons:
Smart phones should have a dedicated headphone jack. The G1 requires the use of an adapter which goes into the same port as the charger. So if you're listening to music and your battery's about to go dead, you're SOL.

Doesn't allow app2SD out of the box.

Internal memory is way too small. I can get maybe 15 apps on it at once, but it depends on the size of the apps.

Android isn't updated past 1.7.

Already feels pretty dated.

When I get my new phone, which will certainly be another Android, I'll probably keep the G1 as a Google Voice handset for around the house (got the idea from 2600's current issue).
nasomancer
New User
New User

Post by latezio on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 pm
([msg=61031]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

I got Nokia N900. It's something you'd call a hacker phone althought I don't consider myself as one. Yet.
Has:
-qwerty keyboard
-3.5" touch screen
-linux based Maemo 5 OS
-also this old thing called phone ability
and buch of other cool stuff.

There are some programs you may be familiar with, that you can have on it, e.g. wireshark, ettercap, metasploit, aircrack and so on..

If you already don't have a netbook, this is a good device in terms of hackers handheld devices.
latezio
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:58 pm
([msg=61076]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

latezio wrote:I got Nokia N900. It's something you'd call a hacker phone althought I don't consider myself as one. Yet.
Has:
-qwerty keyboard
-3.5" touch screen
-linux based Maemo 5 OS
-also this old thing called phone ability
and buch of other cool stuff.

There are some programs you may be familiar with, that you can have on it, e.g. wireshark, ettercap, metasploit, aircrack and so on..

If you already don't have a netbook, this is a good device in terms of hackers handheld devices.

Please don't necro an old thread, just let them die.

Also, jail broken iPhone, or rooted Android pwns the Nokia N900.

~Cent
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm
([msg=61078]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:

~Cent

Rooted Android, HELL yes. Custom ROMs, FUCK yes.
As for the necro, i just decided to leave it. It's kind of one of those threads that are ongoing.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm
([msg=61080]see Re: Which cell phone do you use?[/msg])

mShred wrote:
centip3de wrote:

~Cent

Rooted Android, HELL yes. Custom ROMs, FUCK yes.
As for the necro, i just decided to leave it. It's kind of one of those threads that are ongoing.

I would be inclined to agree with you more about the rooted Android, if I had an Android phone... Stupid BlackBerry >.>
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Previous

Return to Telecommunications