Time travelling is not posible :(

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Re: Time travelling is not posible :(

Post by r-ID on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:38 pm
([msg=33172]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Actually, i'm time traveller myself, we all are. You know "Twin paradox"?
A twin who makes a journey into space in a high-speed rocket will return home to find he has aged less than his identical twin who stayed on Earth.

I'm not very good at physics (neither english) but i think that every matter travels in/thru time (spacetime) and If you could travel faster then light, you could fly out of the universe and watch its birth. But, if you go back, time and all universe will be in different state compared with the state when you left... if time goes slower when you move thru the space, and if you move faster time goes slower, then basically if you reach c, time should stop, and... time could became negative if you are travelling faster.
It should be imposible to reach c. As far as i understand mass becomes infinity at c, so does the energy required to reach it. Anything with a mass can't reach speed of light.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by tarantulas on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm
([msg=33184]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Let's apply some Physics rules to this: Every particle has an anti-particle and we al know that normal particles travels forward in time,so shouldn't anti-particles travel back in time then?

no. very no. As I recall, there has been some discussion on whither carrier particles (photons in particular) would go back in time, but an artefact of the Feynman diagram in all likelyhood. Anti-particle just means it has opposite charge. Pretty sure.

You pretty much cannot even travel at the speed of light, as you begin to have relativistic momentum as you approach c and you would require to expend lots and lots of energy to asymptotically approach c.
tarantulas
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 am
([msg=33214]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Time travel IS possible and I have proven it.....we recently got snow here so I figured I could use a sled and a snowy hill to experiment. I went to the top of the hill and got on the sled. I looked at my watch and as soon as it hit 12:00:00 I began my trip down the hill. I picked up some great speed and when I reached the bottom of the hill...it was time to check if it worked. I looked at my watch and it was now 12:00:30!! I had travelled 30 seconds into the future!
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by faazshift on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:04 pm
([msg=33215]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Sure, but thats just normal progression of matter. Time "travel" is arbitrary repositioning in the progression of matter. I can't see that going from one state of progression to another can be done. Sure you could be frozen or something, but that just preserves you for a future point. Matter may progress at different rates (such as, according to theory, near a black hole), but arbitrary repositioning in material progression is not something I can see as being possible.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tarantulas on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm
([msg=33217]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Causality is a good thing. Causality is your buddy.
tarantulas
New User
New User

Post by ShadowSniper0819 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 am
([msg=33247]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:If that's correct (and I have no idea if it is, it just seems logical to me), then even if it were technically possible to, the actual act of sending anything physically "back in time" would instantly cause that same matter/energy not to exist in its present (future? :lol: ) form, and as such, cease to exist completely... Which means the past wouldn't really be affected in any way whatsoever, in the end.

:shock: Did any of that make any kind of sense?

While that might make sense logically, you have to remember that the new areas of physics being explored defy logic. Just read anything related to Quantum Physics, and you'll scratch your scalp off wondering how the hell ANYTHING you read could be possible.

To answer the question: "If you go back, won't that remove the present (future) you from existence?".
Not necessarily. Quantum Physical experiments in teleportation have provided us a reasoning for how it could be possible. Experiments have proved that teleportation of particles IS possible! However, it doesn't disappear and reappear in another place. Rather, lets say you have particle A, B, and C.

You want to teleport particle A to the location of particle C. Experiments have produced the following results:
Particle A was COPIED to particle B, and vice versa. Then the NEW particle B (originally: Particle A) was copied to particle C, and vice versa. Now, they did not merely "change spots". Rather, their "anatomical" configuration was transposed from one to the other. As a result, Particle A had been "teleported" to Particle B.

Quantum Physics has also taught us about particle pairs. Where, no matter how far the distance between them, if one particle changes it's spin, the other particle changes it's spin correspondingly.

To bring these ideas together, it could be possible (assuming that we had created some sort of apparatus to move into the past), for one to send themselves back. They would, however, be making a copy of themselves in the process. Then any actions this "new" person makes would (through the Butterfly Effect) have an effect on their original, future self.

One other implication is that not only the copy and the future are linked together through Quantum Physics...The copy, the future, and the past-self where the copy was sent; they would have effects on each other. The future self would have no effects on the Past-Self or the copy, yet the opposite WOULD be true, seeing as the reactions (health, environment, etc.) of the future self is dependent upon the actions of the Past-Self and the copy (if it were to interfere in the course of the Past-Self.

Sorry if anyone is too confused ;)
ShadowSniper0819
New User
New User

Post by r-ID on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 am
([msg=33260]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

r-ID
Poster
Poster

It IS possible...

Post by Haaxzer on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 pm
([msg=33745]see It IS possible...[/msg])

I read in a science magazine, that if you go 4x faster than the light. And you do that 1 year,
In the real world it is 2,5 years further... :o
Its not really time travelling. But it looks much like it :ugeek: :ugeek:
Haaxzer
New User
New User

Post by maxgonemad on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:52 pm
([msg=44507]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

eljonto wrote:Logically, i can't see how it can be possible. Time is an invention of man, the "progression" of matter isn't, we just use time to measure it. "Turning back time", how can all matter possibly restore itself to a previous state? Likewise with the future, but with something that hasn't happened yet.

no actually, thats not true. its proven that time can be distorted by very large things like the planets. The gps satillites always have to be updated with the time here because down here time moves slower. the clocks in space that are not as affected by our planet's gravity move a very very very very small amount faster.
maxgonemad
New User
New User

Re: It IS possible...

Post by InCogNitO_314 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am
([msg=48800]see Re: It IS possible...[/msg])

Haaxzer wrote:I read in a science magazine, that if you go 4x faster than the light. And you do that 1 year,
In the real world it is 2,5 years further... :o
Its not really time travelling. But it looks much like it :ugeek: :ugeek:

:arrow: unsubscribe the magazine..

no one (at least in this universe) can travel faster than light.. This was Einstein's first postulate of his special relativity...

And special relativity is confirmed by experiments..So there wont be anything having a Higgs boson inside it travelling faster than "c" (=299,798,485m/s)

So time travel in this way (going faster than c) is a fairy tale..

-- Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:44 am --

r-ID wrote:Actually, i'm time traveller myself, we all are. You know "Twin paradox"?
A twin who makes a journey into space in a high-speed rocket will return home to find he has aged less than his identical twin who stayed on Earth.

I'm not very good at physics (neither english) but i think that every matter travels in/thru time (spacetime) and If you could travel faster then light, you could fly out of the universe and watch its birth. But, if you go back, time and all universe will be in different state compared with the state when you left... if time goes slower when you move thru the space, and if you move faster time goes slower, then basically if you reach c, time should stop, and... time could became negative if you are travelling faster.
It should be imposible to reach c. As far as i understand mass becomes infinity at c, so does the energy required to reach it. Anything with a mass can't reach speed of light.

You are completely right when you say that mass becomes infinite at c and its impossible to reach c et cetera..
But the truth is that we dont really need to go at c for time to travel slow in relation to us..
Even if we are travelling at a speed of c/10 ms^-1, time travels slow and we are actually travelling through time..
The twin paradox is a direct result of this fact.

NB: Time can never stop nor can it become negative...That would have hell many contradictions..

-- Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 am --

Defience wrote:Time travel IS possible and I have proven it.....we recently got snow here so I figured I could use a sled and a snowy hill to experiment. I went to the top of the hill and got on the sled. I looked at my watch and as soon as it hit 12:00:00 I began my trip down the hill. I picked up some great speed and when I reached the bottom of the hill...it was time to check if it worked. I looked at my watch and it was now 12:00:30!! I had travelled 30 seconds into the future!

Your experiment could have been acceptable if you had used separate Frames of Feference for measuring the time interval..

The main flaw in you experiment was that you took all the measurements in just your own FoR..So it just wont work..

The next time there snows in ur are, you synchronize two stopwatches, give one to your friend and you take one..
Let your friend stand nearby the hill such that he could see its top as well as the bottom..
Start both the clocks (this is practically impossible) at the instance you start sliding down and stop both of them (this too) at the instance you touch the ground...

If you were travelling at speeds (even a bit) near to that of light ( :!: very funny) The clocks would show a difference of about 1 nanosec..(if your clocks have that capacity)..and nothing near to 30 secs..

So good luck!:)
InCogNitO_314
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Math & Science