Ubuntu wireless card

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Ubuntu wireless card

Post by moonloghtkiller on Mon May 26, 2008 2:59 am
([msg=3244]see Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

Okay, I have just recently decided to rid myself of Vista. I decided upon Ubuntu, and I burnt the "Live CD", and everything looks great, but my Broadcam 802.11 b/g WLAN wireless card isn't recognized. I found where the driver for it is in Vista, but I don't know how to install it into the Ubuntu Drivers. Help?
Setsuna Sa Yori Mo Tooku He
moonloghtkiller
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ubuntu wireless card

Post by 193zaitsev on Mon May 26, 2008 9:08 am
([msg=3251]see Re: Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

I don't know how or if you can get it working with just a LiveCD.

But, if your installing Ubuntu...
There's a program called NDISWrapper that lets you use Windows drivers on a Linux system. I used it a long time back with my laptop, but I haven't used it sense so I don't remember the exact steps to get it working, but if you google or search the Ubuntu forums for topics related to ndiswrapper and your wireless card, there should be a good many tutorials to get it working.
193zaitsev
New User
New User

Post by nermd on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 pm
([msg=5350]see Re: Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

as far as i know broadcom chipsets are well supported under linux. BUT i think they are binary only drivers (so they dont comply with ubuntus general "open source only in the main package repository's" rule.
Two things you should check:
1. Under "System"->Systemsetup(or what ever its called in the english version .... its the second submenu under System)->Hardware Drivers (or what ever its called in the english version ... look for something with drivers)
--> here you can activate closed-source drivers .... maybe you will find you wireless card here ..
2. if the first thing didnt work, try to activate the "universe" and "multiverse" repository's with synaptic (package management tool)
then search for broadcom .... maybe you will find you drivers ....

if nothing helped, aks on the ubuntu forums ... they can help!

nermd
With this world there is no understanding, we belong their only to the extent, as we rebel against it (Theodor W. Adorno) --> if somebody knows a "official" translation for the well known german quote ... pls let me know!
nermd
New User
New User

Post by Gewalop on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 am
([msg=5549]see Re: Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

you can easily find a windows driver for it (Should be really easy)

go to administration -> Windows Wireless

Hit "Add"

and add the INF file for the driver

Restart (note: with LiveCD you can turn off network manager process and then turn on back, you know you can't reboot LiveCDs)

Done!
Gewalop
New User
New User

Post by yourmysin on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:34 pm
([msg=5685]see Re: Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

What is the exact card you are using? My BCM4318 card is one of the least compatible cards under linux. Are you sure it is not recognized at all? Paste us the lspci output please.
A+, Network+, MCTS(70-620), Security+, CCNA
yourmysin
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by heirrook on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm
([msg=10639]see Re: Ubuntu wireless card[/msg])

In many cases with broadcom cards in linux you will need to use ndiswrapper. just find the driver you use for xp and then use ndiswrapper. it seems with most new major kernel releases, there are more and more broadcom chips supported, so eventually it should work, but ndiswrapper will have to do until then. the only drawback to ndiswrapper is that i believe that there is limited support for wireless promiscuous mode, and also i don't think N-draft is supported yet. thanks to the team of ndiswrapper for their awesome work!
heirrook
New User
New User

Return to *nix