How to get a website on the WEB?

How to get a website on the WEB?

Post by Bren2010 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:20 pm
([msg=20150]see How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

Can anyone help me with getting a website I made on the internet. Please be detailed.

I made a website for a friend, only thing is, I don't know how to get it on the web. It's pretty small, just about 86 KB. It uses PHP and only needs about 2-3 mysql tables that could probably be kept in the same database.

My problem with getting it published, is all the websites I've been to don't say anything about allowing the owners to just type in HTML as they want to (I don't care how "old school" it is). Plus, I'm used to managing them through FTP, which they also don't say much about. Not to mention, I don't know how all of this domain and hosting stuff works so I'm scared something's not gonna work right and I'm gonna be screwed.

Can anyone please help me?
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to get a website on the WEB?

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 pm
([msg=20154]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

Have you tried t35?
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by Bren2010 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:20 pm
([msg=20258]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

No, I haven't tried it yet, but it seems perfect! Thankyou!
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Monica on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 pm
([msg=20270]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm
([msg=20826]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

How do you know how to use PHP but have no idea about domains and hosting? I'm not trying to be insulting I'm just kind of bewildered by it.

A few questions for you.

1. Are you looking for a free site or are you willing to pay for your hosting and domains?
Free sites, unfortunately, are often less versatile. They might not allow PHP or databases or something. So look at their service list to make sure they offer what you need. I like http://heliohost.org because they basically allow anything you want to do. Unfortunately, they aren't accepting new users at the moment.

2. Have you thought about the domain you want to use? There are a few options. Use a subdomain from your hosting service (for example, if hackthissite was your host and you used their subdomain option your site would be http://yourdomain.hackthissite.org). Or you could go to a domain registrar (such as namecheap or 1and1) and buy one. If that's the case, you need to determine if you want a .com, .org, .net, .co.uk, etc. It depends on what you want to do. Some domains are cheaper than others and although people don't generally follow the rules there are specific reasons for using each of the types of domain types.

3. Almost any host you run across is going to allow HTML and most of them allow FTP. You shouldn't have an issue there. Figure out what you want to do and give us the site you're interested in using for hosting. Post it here and I'll review it to make sure everything is a-ok for you.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by fiftysixer on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm
([msg=20948]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

You can use a all-in-one hosting service such as Dreamhost (PM me if you do that, I've got coupon codes ;p), or if you're really feeling adventurous, you can set up a simple home server to handle it.

Either way you'll need a domain name, most hosting services will handle that for you. If you host it yourself I recommend you check out afraid.org for DNS services (the system that tells the internet where to find yoursite.com).

An advantage to using afraid.org is that you can use a free subdomain, e.g. 'yoursite.whatever.com'. That way you can get hosting without any money down - just hook up a box in your house, point DNS to it, and tada!

You can probably find some tutorials on the web about how to do this, or ask on the forums here.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Frisch7 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm
([msg=21113]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

If you have the domain name already purchased all you have to do is link it to a hosting plan i use to use Godaddy.com but that got expensive fast so i started to use 000webhost.com (which is free)

then all you do is name your html file index.html for the home page and upload straight to the hosting site that you have linked your domain name to and ta da its actually quite simple
Frisch7
New User
New User

Post by Goldisever on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:11 pm
([msg=32382]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

You can just go to http://www.webs.com/ and sign up.
Well it help you built a site but you don't care so after building a home page (leave it empty)
go to files and upload your hole site. Just remember to have your home page "index.html" (bad for you, you said you have *.php)....
and as we are hackers we see that it delete his original index and put yours... lol they didn't forecast it. :)
Goldisever
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 pm
([msg=32383]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

Goldisever wrote:You can just go to http://www.webs.com/ and sign up.
Well it help you built a site but you don't care so after building a home page (leave it empty)
go to files and upload your hole site. Just remember to have your home page "index.html" (bad for you, you said you have *.php)....
and as we are hackers we see that it delete his original index and put yours... lol they didn't forecast it. :)

Dude...this topic is really old...

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Flamechy on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm
([msg=33516]see Re: How to get a website on the WEB?[/msg])

If you want the site to be hosted from your pc you will need XAMPP or AppServ.These packages contain php,apache,phpmyadmin,mysql and etc.I like xampp the most.
Flamechy
New User
New User

Return to Web Design