Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

What is the nature of existence?

Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by childofbodom on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 pm
([msg=31794]see Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

A few days ago I sold my world of warcraft account. The person I sold to later recalled the money. Turns out the person I sold to didn't recall the money, the person who's paypal got hacked a few days before by this person did. The person was an idiot and also gave me his personal e-mail. I spoke to the person who the paypal account actually belonged to and he gave me a list of all the transactions the person did on his account. I then had a talk with the person who stole my account. He said if I sell him a higher level character he'll give me back my character for free plus the money for the new one. My response was obviously hell no. He thought he was all tough and said well then bye and I said wait. Kept him talking for a while and began giving me the advantage by asking him who the people he was trading money with were. He said his partners. I said in scamming? He said no I'm not telling you what we do. That means to me that it's illegal. I continued by noting that I had all his partners e-mails, addresses and phone numbers (assuming their real info on their paypal. This doesn't seem like their to bright so it probably is). During this time I had been getting his IP address and just finished getting where he lived from it assuming he wasn't using a proxy or anything. Then I told him I knew that information, a yellow books search gave me his phone number as well. Then I could tell he was starting to get worried. He kept telling me to shut up and give him the information for the account he wanted me to sell him. I said no that's not how this is going to work your going to give me my account back or I'll report you and your partners for internet fraud (which he also admitted to in the convo. I kept a log btw) and when that happens your "partners" won't be partners with you in prison. No one likes the guy that f**ks everything up. Then he said fine I'll just keep your account and I said no actually I'll just have to contact Blizzard Entertainment and get the paperwork to get the account back in my name. It'll take a bit longer but I'll still get it. And THEN I'll report you guys. After that he said fine come to los angeles and do something about it. That was completely stupid since that verified that what I traced from his IP is true. After that he logged off. Now I'm stuck because I don't know what to do. I was thinking I should notify his partners of what I know. I already told the paypal owner and he's happy I'm getting a rise out of this guy. But should I go ahead and report him? I'm 13 so I don't think I could get in any serious trouble for any of the stuff I did especially since I have proof of what they did but I don't know much about laws just doing this stuff hehe Also, did I already break the laws from what I've done so far? Maybe like harassment or something. Still all I want is my account back. Also, I was thinking of a more but definitely illegal plan. My only idea was use a fake mailer to send him an e-mail from his "partners" with a keylogger then get him to just log on to the account to show me he didn't change anything and tell him afterwards I'll sell him the one he wants. Then change my info and done. Of course using proper protection and everything to cover my tracks. Change the e-mail with the account a few times so he can't figure out what the current e-mail is. But I want to avoid breaking too many laws if possible. What would you guys recommend doing? Also, I know HTS doesn't condone illegal activities which is why I posted here because you guys can give me the safest option.
User avatar
childofbodom
New User
New User
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:07 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by faazshift on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:56 pm
([msg=31795]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

I would definitely suggest taking this to the authorities. They can do more than you can (like getting personal info from an ISP). What you have done so far seems totally legal, but be careful not to go too far (by doing something illegal). If they willingly download and install software from an email, I don't think that is illegal, but don't take my word for it (google could help with that). Contacting the companies (Blizzard, Paypal) could also help resolve the issues (without crossing legal borders). Best of luck!
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by Goatboy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:48 pm
([msg=31797]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

Jesus kid, they're called paragraphs. Use them.

Selling (trading, giving, etc.) accounts is illegal in the ToS, so Blizz will not help you at all. They will probably just ban the account. Honestly, you got yourself into this mess, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.

As for trying to keylog him, best of luck to you. We won't help you here, but I can say that if you do pull it off, that's still going on your record and possibly community service/juvenile detention.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by sanddbox on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:15 am
([msg=31801]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

There are two problems.

1) You sold your WoW account (violation of TOS)
2) You cannot use correct indentation and line spacing, so I am not reading more than the first few lines.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:01 am
([msg=31809]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Warning: The above user is a dick. Please do not feed him.

A word with you, please?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by sanddbox on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:05 am
([msg=31811]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Warning: The above user is a dick. Please do not feed him.

A word with you, please?

;( you guys are no fun...
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by childofbodom on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:22 am
([msg=31902]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

Ok thank you. Also, I'm aware of Blizzards ToS and EULA I know what they say. I never expected Blizzard to help me (because I know the rules), however getting the account back requires only proof of identification. Since I'm a minor, I simply have to get the forms to fax to them that will put it in my parents' name and then they give a copy of their Drivers License and I get the account back. And of course their allows them to ban my account, which they won't do since they don't have any proof I sold the account in the first place. Contacting the authorities sounds like the best option. I could get my account back other ways and probably not get caught, especially since what is he going to do say a 13 year old hacked his stolen WoW account and threatened to report him for crimes he has proof he committed? If that happened, I doubt they would be much concerned I took an account from them. However, I will refrain and go the safe route, as well as working on my paragraphs. Still, it was around 1 AM and I didn't worry too much about it. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays if you prefer.

EDIT: Also, thank you faazshift for being the actual only helpful person who posted. I don't care if you say my indentation sucks. But you could help out to. Just a suggestion.
User avatar
childofbodom
New User
New User
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:07 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:13 am
([msg=31903]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

childofbodom wrote:Ok thank you. Also, I'm aware of Blizzards ToS and EULA I know what they say. I never expected Blizzard to help me (because I know the rules), however getting the account back requires only proof of identification. Since I'm a minor, I simply have to get the forms to fax to them that will put it in my parents' name and then they give a copy of their Drivers License and I get the account back. And of course their allows them to ban my account, which they won't do since they don't have any proof I sold the account in the first place. Contacting the authorities sounds like the best option. I could get my account back other ways and probably not get caught, especially since what is he going to do say a 13 year old hacked his stolen WoW account and threatened to report him for crimes he has proof he committed? If that happened, I doubt they would be much concerned I took an account from them. However, I will refrain and go the safe route, as well as working on my paragraphs. Still, it was around 1 AM and I didn't worry too much about it. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays if you prefer.

EDIT: Also, thank you faazshift for being the actual only helpful person who posted. I don't care if you say my indentation sucks. But you could help out to. Just a suggestion.


Look at that text block. If I read that my eyes would bleed.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by faazshift on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:10 am
([msg=31904]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

childofbodom wrote:EDIT: Also, thank you faazshift for being the actual only helpful person who posted. I don't care if you say my indentation sucks. But you could help out to. Just a suggestion.

No problem.

sanddbox wrote:Look at that text block. If I read that my eyes would bleed.

Hehe... try reading masses of lorem ipsum or a chunk of text in russian or something.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:21 am
([msg=31905]see Re: Have proof of internet fraud, what now?[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Look at that text block. If I read that my eyes would bleed.

Hehe... try reading masses of lorem ipsum or a chunk of text in russian or something.


That's child play compared to the OP's monstrosity.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests