Time travelling is not posible :(

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Time travelling is not posible :(

Post by r-ID on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:34 am
([msg=31707]see Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

If one were able to move information or matter from one point to another faster than light, then according to special relativity, there would be some inertial frame of reference in which the signal or object was moving backwards in time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

A 2008 quantum physics experiment performed in Geneva, Switzerland has determined that the "speed" of the quantum non-local connection (what Einstein called spooky action at a distance) has a minimum lower bound of 10,000 times the speed of light. [13] However, modern quantum physics cannot expect to determine the maximum given that we do not know the sufficient causal condition of the system we are proposing.

Where is a mistake? Because if there is no mistake about that, then time traveling is possible and is almost reachable by today's technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
looks like not :(
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Time travelling is not posible :(

Post by eljonto on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:11 pm
([msg=31736]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Logically, i can't see how it can be possible. Time is an invention of man, the "progression" of matter isn't, we just use time to measure it. "Turning back time", how can all matter possibly restore itself to a previous state? Likewise with the future, but with something that hasn't happened yet.
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:21 pm
([msg=31738]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Oh man, I almost 'gasmed when I saw this thread.

I have so many ideas on time travel, quantum mechanics/physics, dimensions... This is one topic I don't discuss in text, however, because it takes forever to get my ideas across >_<

Read "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm
([msg=31739]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Besides the masses of paradoxes that would be introduced, I don't see how all matter can just be reverted to a previous state. I have my own ideas of how matter progression works, but timetravel seems quite impossible to me (as well as multiple co-existent realities).
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:19 pm
([msg=31740]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

eljonto wrote:Logically, i can't see how it can be possible. Time is an invention of man, the "progression" of matter isn't, we just use time to measure it. "Turning back time", how can all matter possibly restore itself to a previous state? Likewise with the future, but with something that hasn't happened yet.

This explains my position exactly.

As do most of your guys' posts :P

I can understand pseudo-teleportation in which we can get from one place to another in a miniscule amount of time, but real teleportation and real time travel does not seem possible to me.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:49 pm
([msg=31744]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Time travel and teleportation are all good ideas, but don't you think by the time we can put together something like that, then Microsoft would already be hovering around the 3000's?

However, I do believe that if you can get above the speed of light you do start to mess up time. For example, time on an airplane is a couple of milliseconds behind time on the ground.

As for teleportation, you can send a fax can't you? Once it's broken into a stream of electrons. . . (Even though if you don't get rid of the original it's more like copying. :p)
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:51 pm
([msg=31745]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:Time travel and teleportation are all good ideas, but don't you think by the time we can put together something like that, then Microsoft would already be hovering around the 3000's?

However, I do believe that if you can get above the speed of light you do start to mess up time. For example, time on an airplane is a couple of milliseconds behind time on the ground.

As for teleportation, you can send a fax can't you? Once it's broken into a stream of electrons. . . (Even though if you don't get rid of the original it's more like copying. :p)

In a fax that data still has to travel.

Anyways, I sincerely hope that if anyone discovers time travel in 10,000 years, they'll be kind enough to travel back in time and tell us about it.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 pm
([msg=31747]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

A fax is more like what you said: psuedo-teleportation.

Anyways, I sincerely hope that if anyone discovers time travel in 10,000 years, they'll be kind enough to travel back in time and tell us about it.

That will result in the grandfather paradox. If they come back in time to help us invent time travel, by the time they create time travel it will have already been created meaning that they don't create it, so they never come back and tell us about it, meaning we don't have it. Confusing, I know, but true.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by r-ID on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:49 am
([msg=31824]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

String theory speaks about 10 dimensions, do you realize all possible universe endings? Now take that as a single point. Now realize another possible endings for universe with different configuration and take it as another point, make a space between those two points. Do you realize all possible configurations. Crazy thing... but out universe might be SUCH big.

About quantum mechanics, how it could be faster then light (entanglement) ? How a matter could be in many different positions at the same time (superposition)? How a matter could act like a wave? (double-slit experiment)
Strange things are going on in quantum mechanics.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by turbo420 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 am
([msg=32236]see Re: Time travelling is not posible :([/msg])

First, we can speed up time, so in essence, travel through time at a rate faster than what we consider normal. When we reach certain speeds, relative to that position, time speeds up.

Second, traveling backwards is impossible. There are innumerable reasons why including math.
turbo420
New User
New User

Next

Return to Math & Science