Ubuntu install

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Ubuntu install

Post by JrJarhead on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 pm
([msg=31331]see Ubuntu install[/msg])

i am trying to install 9.04 and when the boot loader comes up i will click install and it brings up a prompt saying live install and you click ok and then it does nothing
help would be greatly appreciated
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ubuntu install

Post by Goatboy on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 pm
([msg=31332]see Re: Ubuntu install[/msg])

JrJarhead wrote:i am trying to install 9.04 and when the boot loader comes up i will click install and it brings up a prompt saying live install and you click ok and then it does nothing
help would be greatly appreciated

More details would be greatly appreciated.

Could be many things. May just be a slow video card and/or low RAM, making it take a long-ass time to load.
Could be a corrupted ISO you burned.
" " physically messed up CD.
" " damaged drive.
Your hardware may be too old to support some of the graphical demands.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by JrJarhead on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:32 pm
([msg=31334]see Re: Ubuntu install[/msg])

well i had it on the exact same setup and all the system requirements are met and i ordered it from ubuntu 9.1 doesn't work either because i thought it was a corrupted disk but neither one works and both do the same thing and ive tried it thru 2 different cd drives
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ShadowSniper0819 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:43 am
([msg=31384]see Re: Ubuntu install[/msg])

I'm also downloading Ubuntu 9.10 to put on my desktop PC (old piece of crap) as a trial. I'm a college student that relies on my laptop (primary computer), so I want to test out Linux on another computer to see if I like it. Any tips or good sites that I should use?
I haven't installed an OS in quite some time, and when I did it was Windows....I already have a few sites that have instructions for installing the OS, but I'm just sort of looking for any input that y'all might have.
Also, where is a good place to go to find a bunch of good info for a complete Linux noob? I have zero experience with it, but we all have to start somewhere!

PM me with any info you may have!

Thanks,
-Shadow
ShadowSniper0819
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:16 am
([msg=31386]see Re: Ubuntu install[/msg])

Installing ubuntu is very easy even for a noob (easier than installing windows). But if your desktop PC is really slow, it can be that ubuntu will be slow on it, so I'd suggest you install it on your laptop. If you have windows on it, you can install it with wubi. All you have to do is put in your ubuntu cd while in windows, and you can install ubuntu just like any other program inside windows. Then when you reboot, you can pick ubuntu in the boot menu. If you want to erase ubuntu, you can uninstall it inside windows. Really easy.
You can find tons of sites to help new linux users, just turn to your old freind, Google :). If you want to get the hang of ubuntu, I'd suggest Nixie's video tutorials ;). She's pleasant to the eye, and shows very useful tricks for those who are migrating from windows to linux. You can check out some of her videos here (and the rest on youtube): http://www.linuxhaxor.net/
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Return to *nix