Narrowing down linux choices

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Narrowing down linux choices

Post by Draymire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:50 pm
([msg=31270]see Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

I have decided that i would like to try linux and have narrowed my choices down Geento, Mandriva, or Debian.
I have two questions:

Which one of these do you think would be the best Linux distro to use for someone completely new to linux? however i would prefer one that will teach me about computing as i will spend as much time as necessary to learn everything about my system.

Secondly, dual booting a linux distro, can i do this without having to re-install my windows os? or does this work for these distro's at all. I am using windows 7. If i have to reinstall stuff that is not a problem but no dual boot is.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Baba Ram Dass "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Narrowing down linux choices

Post by Goatboy on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm
([msg=31271]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

Draymire wrote:I have decided that i would like to try linux and have narrowed my choices down Geento, Mandriva, or Debian.
I have two questions:

Which one of these do you think would be the best Linux distro to use for someone completely new to linux? however i would prefer one that will teach me about computing as i will spend as much time as necessary to learn everything about my system.

Secondly, dual booting a linux distro, can i do this without having to re-install my windows os? or does this work for these distro's at all. I am using windows 7. If i have to reinstall stuff that is not a problem but no dual boot is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

First off, welcome to the Dark Side! Cookies and drinks are on the counter.

*ahem*

As far as a "learner's" distro goes, I would suggest Ubuntu. It is VERY closely related to Debian, so close in fact it is said that 'Debian is "the rock upon which Ubuntu is built".' If you are looking for Debian, Ubuntu will be very easy to learn.

Dual-booting is a breeze. You burn the Ubuntu Live CD iso to a disk, boot into it, and the instructions are all there in a step-by-step guide. You can choose to reinstall with just Ubuntu, or to install side-by-side with Windows.

It should be easy, but if you have problems, ask me. I have had to do this for several people, so I know the process by heart.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Draymire on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:14 pm
([msg=31273]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

Thanks for the quick response.

I had a little experience with ubuntu in school and thought it was pretty good. why it took a year to get to actually use linux i don't know. Now all i have to do is wait til monday so i can use my school to download ubuntu. they can pay for my learning after all that is what they are supposed to do, teach me. lol
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 pm
([msg=31274]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

One other option, if you want this done fast, is to use Wubi. It's a Windows program that installs Ubuntu for you, instead of doing it from the disk. It may be a little easier. I only used it once, long ago, but it worked fine for me.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:30 pm
([msg=31275]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:One other option, if you want this done fast, is to use Wubi. It's a Windows program that installs Ubuntu for you, instead of doing it from the disk. It may be a little easier. I only used it once, long ago, but it worked fine for me.

This is what I was also going to suggest. I dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu. For some reason the iso install failed for me with Vista but wubi worked fine.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:10 am
([msg=31282]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

I've been having a problem with Vista recently as I want to put my mum on Ubuntu, but - for the moment - retain the Vista partition, just in case she doesn't acclimatise as well as hoped. However because of the, quite frankly, stupid way that Vista is written - it is an absolute effort to resize the partitions and I've read a number of tales of corrupted Vista installs because of it.

Back on topic, I personally would choose Ubuntu over debian - the debian repositories take far longer than it should to update and a lot of things in there are out of date.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:29 pm
([msg=31289]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

I have used Gentoo for years, and have learned TONS from it. For learning, this is my suggestion. But if you are fairly new to linux, I would definitely suggest Ubuntu (at least for now). But it may be worth it to try out Gentoo at some future point. But, either way, linux is way better than windows. Good luck!
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Draymire on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:04 pm
([msg=31293]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

Ya i think i will use ubuntu for awhile until i get used to linux, resizing partions shouldn't be a problem because i have windows 7 on its own seperate partion from everything else. so in theory i should only have to resize my e: drive which contains nothing i am not afraid of losing. If it comes down to a full format of my HDD would mean nothing to me. Anyone have any good programs for partioning though as i used the windows disc to do it the first time.
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:35 pm
([msg=31294]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

Draymire wrote:Ya i think i will use ubuntu for awhile until i get used to linux, resizing partions shouldn't be a problem because i have windows 7 on its own seperate partion from everything else. so in theory i should only have to resize my e: drive which contains nothing i am not afraid of losing. If it comes down to a full format of my HDD would mean nothing to me. Anyone have any good programs for partioning though as i used the windows disc to do it the first time.

The Ubuntu CD allows you to partition from within it. Wubi does not create a separate partition, so this is not an issue.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Draymire on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm
([msg=31372]see Re: Narrowing down linux choices[/msg])

I think i am almost ready for some of those cookies and drinks. I just got Ubuntu 9.10 installed without any problems. Now all i have to do is get my rogers mobile internet to work and set up python and pygames, then i can hack and program all i want.:D

Thanks for the help.
Draymire
Poster
Poster

Return to *nix