Life got you down? - Christianity

For discussing religion and related topics.

Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by xfelix on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:12 pm
([msg=31036]see Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

There was a rebellious time in my life when I didn't believe in God, but then God began working in my life and has made a huge impact. It has been a long, long time since I've felt so alive and happy. God wipes out the pains and sorrows brought by the motions of life, and gives great strength when circumstances seem at a loss. There is also alot of true wisdom in the Bible, if you ever crack it open and actually start reading it, the bible parallels alot with life today.
If you aren't Christian, but are open to it at the moment, I suggest reading Proverbs, Psalms, and Matthew. You don't have to read it in any particular order.
God r0x!! 8-)
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:10 pm
([msg=31038]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

There was a rebellious time in my life when I didn't believe in science, but then science began working in my life and has made a huge impact. It has been a long, long time since I've felt so free and intelligent. Science wipes out the confusions and delusions brought by the motions of life, and gives great strength when circumstances seem at a loss. There is also alot of true wisdom in science textbooks, if you ever crack one open and actually start reading it, the textbook defines life today.
If you aren't scientific, but are open to it at the moment, I suggest reading Origin of Species, The Selfish Gene, and Physica. You don't have to read them in any particular order.
Science r0x!! 8-)
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by xfelix on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:21 pm
([msg=31040]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

...actually goatboy science backs up God more then disproves God. The only flaw of science and logic is that they were created by man and thus aren't perfect. General Theory of relativity, String Theory, Quantum Mechanics only partially describe the universe and are only Theory. Also i don't know how anyone can study science and not have it be proof that God does exist. As far as selfishness comes people who don't believe in God are all about themselves, psychologist study the self, where God makes you look out and see beyond yourself that there is something more then self. And you have to have more faith to believe in Evolution then Creationism.
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:23 pm
([msg=31041]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Why would anyone believe a fairy tale which pretends to have the answer for everything, when there is science which says "Sure, we don't know everything - but we will stop at nothing to find out all that there is to know."?

Religion is one of the cancers of humanity. I wonder how much more advanced our knowledge and technology would be without it.

The title "Life got you down?" says it all - religion preys on those who are sad or depressed and shows them "a light". It's not a light, it's a lie. A fairytale that was concocted years ago to explain what people did not know. Well now we know a lot more, so stop believing in that crap and give science a chance.

Would you be a Christian if you were born somewhere else? It's quite possible that you'd be a Muslim, or Sikh, etc. That shows to me that it's more about indoctrination and culture than anything else.

-- Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm --

xfelix wrote:The only flaw of science and logic is that they were created by man and thus aren't perfect.

Religion was created by man.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:30 pm
([msg=31042]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:...actually goatboy science backs up God more then disproves God.

True, true. I have always found science to agree completely with religion (well mine anyway). Theories (eg. people came from apes, all matter came from some magical explosion, etc) are just that, theories. Things that are well proven seem to always show evidence that there is a God. I definitely find the existence of a God in harmony with science.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xfelix on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:32 pm
([msg=31043]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

you have never felt the true raw power of God. He has performed great miracles for me in my life. In order for someone to believe of course they must experience it for themselves. It is the same as probably someone who saw a ghost or a UFO and were not previous believers. That is all I have to say. :D
xfelix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by faazshift on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:36 pm
([msg=31044]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:Why would anyone believe a fairy tale which pretends to have the answer for everything, when there is science which says "Sure, we don't know everything - but we will stop at nothing to find out all that there is to know."?

Religion is one of the cancers of humanity. I wonder how much more advanced our knowledge and technology would be without it.

The title "Life got you down?" says it all - religion preys on those who are sad or depressed and shows them "a light". It's not a light, it's a lie. A fairytale that was concocted years ago to explain what people did not know. Well now we know a lot more, so stop believing in that crap and give science a chance.

Is it easier to believe that somehow non-living matter magically formed into some little creature and then it crawled onto the land and somehow, over time, mutated into all sorts of strange creatures, one of which happened to be man (and it formed both genders and they lived to adulthood)? or is it easier to believe that there is a higher power and that we were created by a more intelligent being than ourselves? I think the latter is far more believable.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:40 pm
([msg=31045]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:you have never felt the true raw power of God. He has performed great miracles for me in my life. In order for someone to believe of course they must experience it for themselves. It is the same as probably someone who saw a ghost or a UFO and were not previous believers. That is all I have to say. :D

No he hasn't. It's one big placebo effect.
If you want to believe that then you go and believe, but please don't press your illogical beliefs onto others. For everyone else, there's nice and logical science.

-- Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:41 pm --

faazshift wrote:Is it easier to believe that somehow non-living matter magically formed into some little creature and then it crawled onto the land and somehow, over time, mutated into all sorts of strange creatures, one of which happened to be man (and it formed both genders and they lived to adulthood)? or is it easier to believe that there is a higher power and that we were created by a more intelligent being than ourselves? I think the latter is far more believable.

Yes, because this has been backed up with science. The idea of "god" has been backed-up by.. oh.. wait.. nothing!
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:51 pm
([msg=31047]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:...actually goatboy science backs up God more then disproves God. The only flaw of science and logic is that they were created by man and thus aren't perfect. General Theory of relativity, String Theory, Quantum Mechanics only partially describe the universe and are only Theory. Also i don't know how anyone can study science and not have it be proof that God does exist. As far as selfishness comes people who don't believe in God are all about themselves, psychologist study the self, where God makes you look out and see beyond yourself that there is something more then self. And you have to have more faith to believe in Evolution then Creationism.

While I respect your beliefs, I have to disagree with you on several points here.

xfelix wrote:science backs up God more then disproves God

In earlier times, mankind believed quite a large number of things that have been proven wrong by the scientific method. Flat Earth, Earth-centered solar-system, medical conditions, the process of pregnancy, causes of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc., weather (rain, lightning, hail, etc.), constellations, rainbows... The list goes on and on.

Many of these beliefs were cited as fact in various religious texts. The Bible is no exception. Over time, these beliefs were shown to be wrong due to scientific inquiry and research. My own opinion on this is that God acts as a sort of "information plaster" to fill in the knowledge gaps in what we do not (yet) understand.

xfelix wrote:The only flaw of science and logic is that they were created by man and thus aren't perfect

The Bible was created by man. God Himself did not physically write the Bible. Men did. According to your logic, the Bible must then have flaws. This has been shown to be true, so you do have a point. Science and Logic are NOT perfect, nor would any proper scientist claim them to be.

In addition, it is the belief of Atheists that God, too, was created by man as a way of coping with stress, the unknown, fear, and many other situations/emotions. Think about Greek mythology. It teaches that lightning bolts came from Zeus. Do you believe that? I would hope not. You should realize that lightning is a process that can be explained in full by science. Using this reasoning, the Bible and the idea of God must have their fair share of inaccuracies as well.

xfelix wrote:Also i don't know how anyone can study science and not have it be proof that God does exist.

Do this experiment for me:

1.) Get a glass of water
2.) Pour a tablespoon of salt in
3.) Salt disappears
4.) ?????
5.) God exists! / FSM exists! / Shiva exists! / Allah exists!

This may be a simplistic example, but the concept is clear. Science is no more proof of God than it is proof of the FSM, Shiva, or Allah.

xfelix wrote:As far as selfishness comes people who don't believe in God are all about themselves

Woah. Back up. There fair numbers of Atheists that donate to charities and volunteer in addition to Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists... I am an Atheist and I can assure you that my actions are not entirely self-centered. Also, there are a large number of selfish theists, so if you are going to say Atheists are all selfish, please add that so can be Christians, Muslims, Jews...

xfelix wrote:psychologist study the self, where God makes you look out and see beyond yourself that there is something more then self.

It is true that (generally speaking) psychology studies the self. It is also true that the teachings of God in the Bible preach good-will (Luke 6:38, Hebrews 13:16, Matthew 7:12, et al). This does not mean, however, that believing in God is the only way to learn selflessness. As stated above, many Atheists give to charities and volunteer.

xfelix wrote:And you have to have more faith to believe in Evolution then Creationism.

You are entirely right, except it's not called "faith" when you "believe" in Evolution. It's called "logic" when you "study" Evolution.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:07 pm
([msg=31234]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

xfelix wrote:There was a rebellious time in my life when I didn't believe in God, but then God began working in my life and has made a huge impact. It has been a long, long time since I've felt so alive and happy. God wipes out the pains and sorrows brought by the motions of life, and gives great strength when circumstances seem at a loss. There is also alot of true wisdom in the Bible, if you ever crack it open and actually start reading it, the bible parallels alot with life today.
If you aren't Christian, but are open to it at the moment, I suggest reading Proverbs, Psalms, and Matthew. You don't have to read it in any particular order.
God r0x!! 8-)

Amen! And God came into my life at a time when I was happy and things were going well, I was totally blindsided.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Religion