a few website questions

Re: a few website questions

Post by thedotmaster on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 am
([msg=30997]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

faazshift wrote:Well, when you have to do hundreds of regular expression search and replaces, filter the file, or part of it, through an external program (such as xxd), or open many files in a tabs, vim is absolutely awesome. It is absolutely amazing for programming (language specific auto-indentation, syntax highlighting, etc) I used nano back when I first started using linux (5-6 years ago), but since I started using vim, I just couldn't go back. After learning how to use it properly, it has saved me tons of time.

I have never once had to use regular expression search and replaces. I rarely ever use search and replace as it is.
Syntax highlighting is annoying, as is the language specific auto-indentation.
I know the reasons for using Vi/m but as I don't require the functionality, I don't see the need to use it.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:11 pm
([msg=30999]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I have never once had to use regular expression search and replaces. I rarely ever use search and replace as it is.
Syntax highlighting is annoying, as is the language specific auto-indentation.
I know the reasons for using Vi/m but as I don't require the functionality, I don't see the need to use it.

Hmm, you don' indent your code? Do you ever use python? Indentation, at lease, is an absolute necessity. Anyway, with vim you can customize things to be just how you want. Maybe your really not interested though.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:40 am
([msg=31026]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

faazshift wrote:Hmm, you don' indent your code? Do you ever use python? Indentation, at lease, is an absolute necessity. Anyway, with vim you can customize things to be just how you want. Maybe your really not interested though.

Of course I indent my code! However I don't like it when my text editor indents for me (I prefer it just to allow me to choose when to indent, and then keep that level of indentation as I add new lines, until I reduce it. That's possible in Nano, so I'm happy).
Currently my text editor does everything that I want it to, if I need extra features in the future - I'll be sure to move to Vi.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:00 am
([msg=31031]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

I agree, auto indentation can get a bit annoying. I remember when it caused me to spend at least an hour reviewing my code, when all I had to do was unindent a single function. If autoindent was off, I never would have had to do that.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by faazshift on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:05 pm
([msg=31037]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

Well, you can, of course, make vim do this if you want. Though I suppose you aren't interested in vim in the slightest.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:44 pm
([msg=31046]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

faazshift wrote:Well, you can, of course, make vim do this if you want. Though I suppose you aren't interested in vim in the slightest.

I know that, but Nano will also do it. So why should I bother switching?
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by faazshift on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:09 pm
([msg=31048]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I know that, but Nano will also do it. So why should I bother switching?

I would say because of its awesome functionality and flexibility. It even backs up the file while you are typing (which has saved me many times when power drops). It is simply an amazing, programmable, editor. But I guess you really don't care about its awesomeness.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:12 pm
([msg=31049]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
thedotmaster wrote:I know that, but Nano will also do it. So why should I bother switching?

I would say because of its awesome functionality and flexibility. It even backs up the file while you are typing (which has saved me many times when power drops). It is simply an amazing, programmable, editor. But I guess you really don't care about its awesomeness.

Nano can do automatic backups and as I've said, I don't need the power and functionality - as soon as I do, I'll use Vi.
I'm well aware that it's a brilliant text-editor.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm
([msg=31050]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

faazshift wrote:

Yea, dotty can be a n00b like that sometimes. We just keep him around to dick with him. =O
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:27 pm
([msg=31055]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Yea, dotty can be a n00b like that sometimes. We just keep him around to dick with him. =O

*rages*
;)
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Web Design