a few website questions

a few website questions

Post by killrshadow on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:30 pm
([msg=28166]see a few website questions[/msg])

are there any programs i can use to make user accounts on a website with?, and what program can i use to edit HTML coding for the webpage instead of trial and error, the only one i can think of is Macromedia, are their any others?
killrshadow
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a few website questions

Post by Bren2010 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm
([msg=28167]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

As far as creating accounts, the admin has to put a register form on the website.

For code editing, you can use Firebug for firefox.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by idostupidstuff on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:25 pm
([msg=29120]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

dreamweaver :D
idostupidstuff
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:49 pm
([msg=29124]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

No, no, no. There is no need whatsoever to use something like Dreamweaver.
I'm use nano - a text editor for Linux and BSD - personally, but there are plenty of alternatives out there for windows. But really, all you need is a text editor.
I used to use Dreamweaver and thought it was brilliant, but after switching to coding by hand I'd *never* go back. It is far quicker (yes, it is) to code by hand.
I'm not one of these people who think that you must do everything by hand - tools are useful - but in this case, all you need is a text editor. For things like drop-down menus, etc, learn to code them then save the code and reuse it each time you need a dropdown menu. Coding things like PHP in dreamweaver is tricky anyway, and you will need PHP for login forms etc.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by MechanicalApe on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:26 pm
([msg=30876]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

I agree with thedotmaster that you definitely don't need Dreamweaver. All you need is notepad. I used to make websites just in notepad, but I really really like the colors in Dreamweaver, just because it helps me keep track and quickly visually spot parts of code I want to update. It is all preference.
MechanicalApe
New User
New User

Post by Cartguy on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:02 pm
([msg=30878]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

You could do it with php but you would need an apachi server to view your work.
Cartguy
New User
New User

Post by faazshift on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:00 pm
([msg=30887]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

MechanicalApe wrote:I agree with thedotmaster that you definitely don't need Dreamweaver. All you need is notepad. I used to make websites just in notepad, but I really really like the colors in Dreamweaver, just because it helps me keep track and quickly visually spot parts of code I want to update. It is all preference.

Well, for syntax highlighting and indentation there are TONS of editors. Dreamweaver has a lot of overhead. In windows, I recommend pspad, because of its awesome functionality. The problem with notepad is that there is absolutely NO indentation or really useful functionality. In linux my preference is vim.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:39 pm
([msg=30890]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I'm use nano - a text editor for Linux and BSD - personally, but there are plenty of alternatives out there for windows. But really, all you need is a text editor.

/me shudders at nano

Has dotty not been enlightened by the greatness that is vi?

On a related note, I do agree with dotty in that coding by hand is faster. It is just so much easier to troubleshoot, add, remove, or change code when you write it yourself. While it may take longer the first few times, you will eventually accumulate a nice selection of reusable code and templates that will be just as fast as Dreamweasel.

Additionally, you learn a LOT more doing it by hand, and it's a much more rewarding experience.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:44 pm
([msg=30972]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Has dotty not been enlightened by the greatness that is vi?

I've used Vi in the past, but it isn't something that particularly attracts me.
I think that the performance gains you get from using Vi is negligible, so until I need to use more fancy features, Nano does the trick.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by faazshift on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:04 pm
([msg=30974]see Re: a few website questions[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:
Goatboy wrote:Has dotty not been enlightened by the greatness that is vi?

I've used Vi in the past, but it isn't something that particularly attracts me.
I think that the performance gains you get from using Vi is negligible, so until I need to use more fancy features, Nano does the trick.

Well, when you have to do hundreds of regular expression search and replaces, filter the file, or part of it, through an external program (such as xxd), or open many files in a tabs, vim is absolutely awesome. It is absolutely amazing for programming (language specific auto-indentation, syntax highlighting, etc) I used nano back when I first started using linux (5-6 years ago), but since I started using vim, I just couldn't go back. After learning how to use it properly, it has saved me tons of time.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Web Design