First Website - Learning HTML

First Website - Learning HTML

Post by Muskelmann098 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 am
([msg=30345]see First Website - Learning HTML[/msg])

Hey guys!

Recently I decided I would teach myself HTML, and hence decided to make a website. I figured it should be about something I know, so I made one about various computer "secrets" that many people don't know. The site is finally up and running, which means that I would like anyone interested to take a look. Please note that there is not much content because the point was to make A site. I chose HTML and CSS over Javascript because I want it to load fast for people with lower internet connections. Please also keep in mind that the content is not written for a computer-savvy audience such as this one, so you guys might not find it as interesting. The main point is that it is the first site I have ever written in HTML, and I would like your opinions, suggestions, and some tips for improvement.

I am VERY fresh in CSS and hadn't even tried using it before 2 days ago, so the layout of the site is far from intriguing, however it is a start, and that's all it is meant to be.

Also suggestions for content would be welcome, I have some ideas, but more are always great ;-)

Thank You.

Link: http://computersecrets.eu.pn
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: First Website - Learning HTML

Post by cilpolir on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:58 am
([msg=30346]see Re: First Website - Learning HTML[/msg])

firts of all it's a pretty decent site.
here a few tips:
1) make a way to let them contact you if they have questions(email)
2) In the windows part, better also teach them how to make a backup. so if it all went wrong they still can save it
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by Muskelmann098 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am
([msg=30348]see Re: First Website - Learning HTML[/msg])

Thanks for that Cilpolir, will do. I just updated the files, and put up my "Firefox Privacy" guide. Some might wanna check it out ;-)

EDIT: Fixed the e-mail problem. I will add a separate "Contact me" page when I have time and people actually start using my website... Glad you here are interested though ;-) . I tried to add the link in the black border along the top banner using CSS, but my problem is that, what works fine in Firefox displays totally different in Internet Explorer. Now however much I mean that IE is complete crap, most people use it unfortunately, and that means I need a different solution. Any ideas?
Last edited by Muskelmann098 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cilpolir on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 pm
([msg=30349]see Re: First Website - Learning HTML[/msg])

in my opion the firefox guide is REALLY good, but you maybe want to link them to the site were they can download the latest version of firefox and for me the ultimate privacy tool is tor+firefox add-on button.But you're making this guide for beginners, and maybe this is for more advanced users. another thing is that maybe you can make your mail adress a mailto link, more user-friendly that way
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by Muskelmann098 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:50 pm
([msg=30351]see Re: First Website - Learning HTML[/msg])

Thanks for that ;-)

EDIT: Fixed!

The Firefox-Tor-Torbutton way is one that I like too, and it will be described in a future guide, but I also think that is a more advanced step to take than just configuring the Firefox Options.

-- Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:26 am --

Alright!

I made a new page called "Ultimate privacy", and it is working and ready to go online. Only problem is that when I use the file-manager provided by my host, the link redirects to another, poorly rated, page. That is of course very bad, but what I don't understand is that when I type in or link to the CORRECT! pagename located on the host server, the browser doesn't go to it. I tried renaming the page to "a.htm" and "a.html" just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, but for some reason, it just won't work. I keep getting redirected to the same dodgy web-page.

Now, I've also tried to make sure that my browser isn't hi-jacked (tried both FF and IE), I don't have any spyware/adware, I deleted all Temp files and cleaned up the computer, and the only conclusion I come to is that the problem doesn't lie at my end. Has anyone had this problem before? Any possible solutions?

Thanks.

EDIT: Two links that were here are no longer needed. Will only redirect you to a bad page.

-- Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 pm --

Problem fixed. Turns out the host company blocks certain words (in this case, "Proxy"). Anyway, it means that the site is up and running again with a new article, please check it out. ;-)

-- Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 am --

The new Layout is up! Please check it out. If you saw my site before, I'm sure you will agree that it looks a lot more inviting.

Still looking for comments and ideas ;-)
Muskelmann098
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Web Design