The :God logic)

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: The :God logic)

Post by Possumdude0 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 pm
([msg=29391]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I used to make the same arguments for Christianity that you are making, but I found myself feeling rather foolish, almost as if I were lying.

I wasn't actually making an argument for Christianity there. I was making the argument that if one already has reason to believe Christianity true, those things are not illogical. Obviously one must have reasons to believe, it would be wrong to assume God because that assumption explains those events.

If you don't believe, as you have clearly stated you don't, then it is perfectly logical for you to find those events illogical, because you have reasons to believe that there is not a being who could make them happen.

Spe-edS wrote:when i was younger, i brought up the question of science vs religion to friend (on evolution vs creation story (7 days)), and (i'm purdy sure this is total bs) they had told me that the literal hebrew translation for the word day, was period of time. they drew the connection that "god" may have created the earth over 7 "periods of time", thus corresponding with the extreme periods of time that a planet takes to form...

Hebrew does have a word that corresponds to our word "day", a literal 24 hour period. But this word was not used in the Genesis creation account. The word used in the creation account can be translated to mean a twelve hour period, a 24 hour period, or an indefinite period of time. This is one of several reasons why I don't trust the Biblical reasoning behind the claims that the Earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. And don't even get me started on the scientific reasoning behind that claim, which is just completely ridiculous (we don't know how old rocks are so the Earth must be 10,000 years old! Where is the logic in this?)

Spe-edS wrote:i'm agnostic currently, basically because i view the things we can't explain as just that. unexplainable
in my opinion organized religion is flawed in that they are interpretations of man. gotta love the church of i don't know.

I can respect that view.
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Spe-edS on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm
([msg=29397]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

btw possum, thanks for being logical and posting constructive material... it's a nice fresh change for me.
u 2 goat.
i love to see logical (and obviously educated/experienced) minds applied to this kind of topic.
-Special Needs
Spe-edS
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Possumdude0 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 pm
([msg=29398]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Spe-edS wrote:btw possum, thanks for being logical and posting constructive material... it's a nice fresh change for me.
u 2 goat.
i love to see logical (and obviously educated/experienced) minds applied to this kind of topic.

I always try to remain logical and positive, although I will admit that I fail sometimes.
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Dredric1 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:55 pm
([msg=29579]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

i suggest all atheists read the book Mere Christianity by c.s. lewis
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by Etelerix on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:18 pm
([msg=29581]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Dredric1 wrote:i suggest all atheists read the book Mere Christianity by c.s. lewis

........and I suggest you read up on Sun worship...

-- Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:23 pm --

This is pretty interesting too.....

http://members.cox.net/srice1/books/parsons/parsons.htm
Etelerix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Spe-edS on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 pm
([msg=29582]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Dredric1 wrote:i suggest all atheists read the book Mere Christianity by c.s. lewis

WHY? all i'm saying is, why should i waste my time reading this book IF i don't believe in god? sounds illogical to waste time reading that book when i could learn something useful and applicable to real life by reading something else.

btw, i'm not atheist, i'm just raising the argument. if you want to get people to read this book, elaborate and explain yourself.
-Special Needs
Spe-edS
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fedbia on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:35 pm
([msg=29587]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Spe-edS wrote:
<br><br>WHY? all i'm saying is, why should i waste my time reading this book IF i don't believe in god? sounds illogical to waste time reading that book when i could learn something useful and applicable to real life by reading something else.<br><br>btw, i'm not atheist, i'm just raising the argument. if you want to get people to read this book, elaborate and explain yourself.

Not to offend you or any other atheists, but if you think of some of the most philosophical, intelligent, and life changing people past and present they have always believe in a higher being. Whether God or Gaia

I say that to say this, some of those books, although they contain religious persona, they have some of the best teachings morally and are sometimes even a great read :). The Bible isn't the best selling book in history for a reason lol (and SUn Tzu's the Art of War is somewhere up there; people use his strategy and philosophy of battle in business, hacking, etc. And in China, your God is your Emperor!! Just an FYI :)
fedbia
New User
New User

Post by Dredric1 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 pm
([msg=29671]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

Spe-edS wrote:WHY? all i'm saying is, why should i waste my time reading this book IF i don't believe in god? sounds illogical to waste time reading that book when i could learn something useful and applicable to real life by reading something else.

btw, i'm not atheist, i'm just raising the argument. if you want to get people to read this book, elaborate and explain yourself.

it would be illogical to not believe in a GOD just because you dont want to
you should read it because it would challenge your ideas and any idea that cant stand to a challenge is usually false
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by r-ID on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:04 am
([msg=29690]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

it would be illogical to not believe in a GOD just because you dont want to
you should read it because it would challenge your ideas and any idea that cant stand to a challenge is usually false

You are thinking wrong. Do you believe vampires, reincarnation, voodoo magic and all the similar s***? Because i don't. And I don't give a f*** about it. Why should i read those stupid books? Spe-edS is right, i don't care and I don't read (I have some other things to do). Those books insult any logic (if you know what that is). And definetly has nothing to do with challenging minds.

You do believe because you want, but not we don't believe because we won't. You want to live forever, to be good, whatever reason that is. It's your choise.

What kind of son of the b**** likes to watch how f****** bad people lives, and wants to be worshiped? Oh ya, god.

You don't believe in vampires? You should read some books about vampires then. It will challenge your minds
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by sandsphinx on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:59 am
([msg=29695]see Re: The :God logic)[/msg])

I hate coming across these religious topics on HTS, i mean every time you go to look at a thread, its like F**** and S**** and C**** this....
But then again, if it keeps the members posting i guess its good.
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Religion