Steganography FAQ/Mission Help

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Steganography FAQ/Mission Help

Post by NeoPhyte1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:45 pm
([msg=252]see Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

I usually spend majority of my time helping users with their questions or maintaining the IRC server with fellow opers. I'm fairly erudite in various topics but this is something I am a true neophyte in [steganography/cryptography]. I am naturally talented in mathematics, I am willing to learn the applications and implications that steganography/cryptography have within mathematics. Esentially I am asking for someone to teach me the arts of stenganography & cryptography so I can apply what I learn within the various HTS stego missions. Assume that I know nothing and teach me ground up. I looked for articles within the HTS website on these subjects and found nothing. So I am wondering if someone will teach me the basics that I need to complete the Stego missions, or give me links to get a solid introduction to the subject. The hint for Stego 1 doesn't help me: "This is an encoded message, the only tip you get is '2 null bytes". I'm sure the method to solve this problem may be obvious from the hint, but if one of you experts out there can give me a few helpful links or guides [not vague hints that are fruitless for a newbie] to help me complete this mission, please do so. It may take a while until I know enough to complete the mission, but thats fine with me.

In Summation:
I'd like to get a solid introduction to Steganography/cryptography, either through article/site, or if one of you experts out there will personally teach me. So I can learn and complete the missions.

Thanks,

Neophyte
NeoPhyte1
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help

Post by GTADarkDude on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm
([msg=257]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

I don't know if there really are any 'basics', because there are just lots of different ways to hide stuff in other stuff. Most possibilities don't really have to do anything with each other.
As far as about the first HTS stego mission, I'd advise you to read this:
http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/834

I haven't finished the first mission, and I don't really understand much from the article, but I think the articles contains information about the first stego mission, since they are both about steganography and binary data.

I reckon you're supposed to look at the binary structure of the file and then decipher something, but I'm not sure.
....................................................................................
GTADarkDude
New User
New User

Post by NeoPhyte1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm
([msg=277]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

GTADarkDude, thanks for the article. No offense to bluesun but I thought the article was poorly written and mediocre at best. I could write an analysis of why I thought the article was poorly written but that isn't the point of this thread. I still need help solving stego1, and learning the basics.
NeoPhyte1
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:53 pm
([msg=314]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Here is a one sentence summary of image stego:
It is usually based on slightly changing RBG values.
Now try looking for changed values in the Stego 1 image.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NeoPhyte1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 pm
([msg=358]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

It is usually based on slightly changing RBG values.
Now try looking for changed values in the Stego 1 image.

1) Define RBG values please, never heard of the term before
2) How do RBG values change, how can I determine a change, & what can I do with such change?
NeoPhyte1
New User
New User

Post by Tiksi on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 pm
([msg=361]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Neophyte, Steganography can be summed up in one phrase: look at something in a way other than intended. The wikipedia article on it is good. Just look at things different than normal. For example, in Greece, they would write a message in wood and cover it in wax, making it look like a wax tablet, another message could be written on the wax, but a secret one inside. A message within another.. hmm...
Tiksi
New User
New User

Post by rki on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:58 pm
([msg=386]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Tiksi wrote: ...For example, in Greece, they would write a message in wood and cover it in wax, making it look like a wax tablet, another message could be written on the wax, but a secret one inside. A message within another...

Interesting!
rki
New User
New User

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 pm
([msg=595]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

I would recommend a book. A book on stego is going to teach you a lot more than asking someone from HTS to volunteer to be your instructor. I don't know of any good stego books but good intro to crypto books are Practical Cryptography and Applied Cryptography both by Bruce Schneier. Bruce is a god in the world of crypto and has some excellent advice and information for those interested in crypto.
terminus
New User
New User

Post by terminus on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:30 pm
([msg=596]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

Oh and by the way unless you've reached linear algebra and beyond you're not likely to experience any real cryptology in mathematics beyond the mere basics. From the sounds of it you've not gotten that far along and surprisingly few ever do unless they're a math major.
terminus
New User
New User

Post by Tiksi on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 pm
([msg=622]see Re: Steganography FAQ/Mission Help[/msg])

terminus wrote:I would recommend a book. A book on stego is going to teach you a lot more than asking someone from HTS to volunteer to be your instructor. I don't know of any good stego books but good intro to crypto books are Practical Cryptography and Applied Cryptography both by Bruce Schneier. Bruce is a god in the world of crypto and has some excellent advice and information for those interested in crypto.

I doubt there are any books on steganography. Its not really something you can write a howto book on. Maybe the philosophy of it but no more.
Tiksi
New User
New User

Next

Return to Steganography