Stego 14

Find what's hiding in plain sight

Re: Stego 14

Post by eljonto on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 pm
([msg=21326]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

krippling wrote:Thanx a lot for the reply!!
I used a different decryptor this time, and i could swear that i had the right answer! it is almost gramatically correct. (Something related to construction work...). guess i have to try some more..

you pretty much have it, you have the key the cipher text and the right decrypter- when i entered the cipher text wrong i got something relating to construction work- chances are that you mixed up the last few chars of the ciphertext, just try different letter combinations that look similar until you get the password. the actual password isn't a real word and isn't very far off that construction equipment ;)
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by zorbec on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:50 pm
([msg=21368]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

eljonto wrote:
you pretty much have it, ...

Thanks for this hint, without it I would have chased the suspicious pixels for weeks. But I got it, finally ... :D
zorbec
New User
New User

Post by DrakierD on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm
([msg=21421]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

I'm not sure what I could have wrong. The last few letters of the cipher text are pretty clear what they are. There are no numbers in the cipher text as far as I know. It doesn't leave any room for interpretation really.

I have the key and I know which part goes where.

When I decrypt it, every time (no matter the decryption tool) I end up with the same word which is an action word done with a specific piece of equipment.

How is what I'm doing wrong, and why won't the level accept the password? (it is a word by the way, and it wouldn't change unless there were numbers allowed, which to my knowledge breaks the rules of this cipher).

I just don't see any other way of interpreting the cipher text unless I just have the WRONG cipher text.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Defience on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm
([msg=21427]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

DrakierD wrote:I'm not sure what I could have wrong. The last few letters of the cipher text are pretty clear what they are. There are no numbers in the cipher text as far as I know. It doesn't leave any room for interpretation really.

I have the key and I know which part goes where.

When I decrypt it, every time (no matter the decryption tool) I end up with the same word which is an action word done with a specific piece of equipment.

How is what I'm doing wrong, and why won't the level accept the password? (it is a word by the way, and it wouldn't change unless there were numbers allowed, which to my knowledge breaks the rules of this cipher).

I just don't see any other way of interpreting the cipher text unless I just have the WRONG cipher text.

It sounds like you are close. I think you just need to take a better look at the end of the decrypted cipher. I don't think your eyes are deceiving you, but don't assume the word is what you think...and no numbers.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by DrakierD on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 pm
([msg=21429]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

the decrypted text?

I copy/paste it from the output from the decryption tool.

I'm a little confused which part you mean. I have a 10-character "cipher" text. I have the key. When I decrypt it, I get a 10-character output text that is as I described above.

For the sake of clarity:

P......... = Cipher Text
<key> = Key
B......... = Decrypted Text

So what would I not be looking at correctly?

I found the cipher type as well as the not-so-hidden word e......0

I can't describe where I found these without spoiling it I think, so I'm just going to have to assume you know what I mean.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by eljonto on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 pm
([msg=21440]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

you need to make sure that you have read the ciphertext (the text in the image) correctly (this hard because of the retarded font) then use the decrypter tool you found and put the output into the password field on the HTS website for steg14, the tool you're using outputs in uppercase- im not sure if that'll be a problem but change it to lowercase when inputting on the hts website
Poster

Post by DrakierD on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:30 pm
([msg=21467]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

The two things that helped me out the most was:

1) knowing that the "correct" password is lowercase, not uppercase like most tools use.

2) I had to pay special attention to the last character in what I thought was the cipher text. I had all of the cipher text right except the last character.

There are no numbers. Hope that helps people who are in the same situation that I was.
DrakierD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by JakeMS on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 am
([msg=25598]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

Well, This is an unusual request but hey-ho.

Just wondering, I'm in this for the whole "learning" thing, from what I've read this was originally not computers at all (the code, either that or I think I got the wrong thing!).

So, I'm wondering, how many letters is this? or numbers? and did any of the letters turn into XX instead of X? (x = value, not actually x)

I'm going to try to do this a "different" way. That is, decrypt manually eg. No Programs to do it for me :p Thus a real challenge. :lol:

Thanks
1010011010 FTW
JakeMS
New User
New User

Post by eljonto on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:02 pm
([msg=25628]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

JakeMS wrote:Well, This is an unusual request but hey-ho.

Just wondering, I'm in this for the whole "learning" thing, from what I've read this was originally not computers at all (the code, either that or I think I got the wrong thing!).

So, I'm wondering, how many letters is this? or numbers? and did any of the letters turn into XX instead of X? (x = value, not actually x)

I'm going to try to do this a "different" way. That is, decrypt manually eg. No Programs to do it for me :p Thus a real challenge. :lol:

Thanks

lol good luck
Poster

Post by XsatanX on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:22 pm
([msg=26330]see Re: Stego 14[/msg])

Is the filename from the file you actually have to download required for decrypting? Or is it only required to use the text from the image --hidden key--> password?

I also tried all 26 combinations of the alphabet on the last letter of my output, how come it doesn't work? I am sure I read all the other letters correct knowing that there are no numbers.

Hope these aren't too much spoilers.

/Edit: Nevermind, I made 1 mistake while decrypting. Finished it now. Nice mission. :D
XsatanX
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Steganography