Is batch programming worth learning?

For the discussion of Perl, Python, Ruby, and PHP and other interpreted languages.

Is batch programming worth learning?

Post by ph4nt0m on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am
([msg=24915]see Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

I know I can't play it off with as a real programming language, but I think it might be fun to learn. I have been messing around with python lately and it seems simple, but I was thinking about learning batch. Just to get an idea of what I want to use python for. To automate simple tasks and such. I know it's extremely outdated, but is it worth learning? Even just to say that I know it. It doesn't hurt to learn the roots I guess.
ph4nt0m
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is batch programming worth learning?

Post by mischief on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:17 am
([msg=24916]see Re: Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

batch isn't really worth learning, unless you enjoy esoteric things. consider learning powershell if you want to use some microsoft crap, since it's a little more powerful :)

as for python, it's a good beginner language, but consider other languages like C, and perl too.

if python seems interesting to you, stick with it until you're satisfied. don't go bouncing around languages like a cheap hooker :P
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by ph4nt0m on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 am
([msg=24917]see Re: Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

Well seeing that batch isn't too complicated it wouldn't be a hard task to learn it. I'm taking a college course right now to get my certifications and they mess with the command line a little bit, and I thought it seemed interesting. I know that it doesn't apply to "hacking" but I think it might still be fun to learn. Python really doesn't seem that interesting to me, but I feel like it's the easiest to start out with. I'd like to move to C++ after I get comfortable with it. I might actually try powershell, it seems interesting.
ph4nt0m
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:38 am
([msg=24918]see Re: Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

if you want to get into C++, i recommend learning C first.

C will give you a feel for writing code, and you understand more of what is going on behind the scenes, which will help you later on when you get into OOP and writing C++ (or other languages you might pick).
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:31 am
([msg=24921]see Re: Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

mischief wrote:if python seems interesting to you, stick with it until you're satisfied. don't go bouncing around languages like a cheap hooker :P

Amen. I did this at first, and got nowhere until I decided to focus on one language.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by T3rminus on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 pm
([msg=25412]see Re: Is batch programming worth learning?[/msg])

I would have to say that I think Batch is good for a lot of things that most people dont know you can use it for. I think that anything about computers is worth learning, and if you really want to get started in ANY kind of programming i think Batch is as good a place to start as any. It also helps with the getting to know of WINDOWS. Since 1.4 billionish people use WINDOWS I dont think that it would hurt to understand how to use it better so you dont get the RU(Retarded User) error that a lot of people seem to get when using Vista. If you are interested in studying some scripting just PM me and I will get you started.
Philosopher - T3rminus
http://lunchboxproductions.webs.com
Basic: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)
Realistic: (1) (2) (3)
Application: (1) (2)
Javascript: (1) (2)
T3rminus
New User
New User

Return to Interpreted Languages