Back Track3 Problem

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Back Track3 Problem

Post by Henry25 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:42 am
([msg=25262]see Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

Hey, so I started using BT3 and I've burned my ISO file properly and followed all the right procedures, but for some reason I can't figure out how to make my Internet work with Linux. Is it because my modem and wireless card have a Windows driver and not a Linux one?
I could use some help.
Henry25
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Back Track3 Problem

Post by Tentra on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:06 am
([msg=25267]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

Yea, its probably a driver issue. If you could post your wireless card that will help, or you can just google your wireless cards model with "linux driver" added on.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 am
([msg=25275]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

If you're using Wi-Fi on the computer, your modem shouldn't be a problem. Post what card you have, and we can try to help you out.

Also, open up a terminal, and run sudo lshw . Look through it and try to find something that starts with network, or -network, *network ,-net,. If it says disabled next to it then look down a few lines until you see "logical name". Remember that, or write it down. Then type the following command:
Code: Select all
ifconfig **logical name*** up

The final solution would be to use Ndiswrapper, which will let you use a Windows wireless driver in Linux, but that should be tried last.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Henry25 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:15 am
([msg=25303]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

I was thinking the Driver was the problem, but at the same time, the very first time I ran BT3, I had no problems at all with an internet connection.
And I used a Cable Modem, and when I don't use it I just use my built in wireless card(Realtek RTL8185)
Henry25
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:19 am
([msg=25306]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

The first time you ran it, means from the Live-CD right? I've seen this problem quite a few times (it always seems to happen to me -.-), my solution is what I already posted , to just enable networking on my wireless. I'm not sure how good the driver is for RTL8185, but judging from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=326945

I'm guessing there are some mixed feelings about it. Good luck however! If your wireless worked the first time you booted into BT3, then there is certainly a way to get it back, so don't give up :)
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Henry25 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:14 pm
([msg=25316]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

Thanks, yeah I use a Live Disk, just seemed easier than Partitioning my hard drive.
I'm still lost on the process for fixing this though.
What exactly do I need to do?
Henry25
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:39 pm
([msg=25331]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Also, open up a terminal, and run sudo lshw . Look through it and try to find something that starts with network, or -network, *network ,-net,. If it says disabled next to it then look down a few lines until you see "logical name". Remember that, or write it down. Then type the following command:<br>
Code: Select all
ifconfig **logical name*** up
<br><br>The final solution would be to use Ndiswrapper, which will let you use a Windows wireless driver in Linux, but that should be tried last.

Try this first.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by daedeluslanthanien on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 am
([msg=25510]see Re: Back Track3 Problem[/msg])

It's a live CD, wifi will be "up" automatically. During boot I'll bet you would like to boot KDE ;) (3-4 lines down?) Try the other parameters during boot also. I love cracking wifi with backtrack, it's so slick!

daed
daedeluslanthanien
New User
New User

Return to *nix