Windows 7 in 6 different editions?

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Windows 7 in 6 different editions?

Post by kiddietron on Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:15 pm
([msg=17424]see Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... KU-QA.mspx
Wow... Dumbass marketing strategy...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/03/si ... heres-how/
A good article to sum up the faults of the Windows 7 marketing plan.

--Edit (Found the edition summary)
http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/wind ... s-come-to/

I can't remember exactly where I heard but the Starter edition supposedly only runs 3 applications at once to simplify the OS for the average user... (Look at the third link.)

Anyone feel as annoyed as I am with Microsoft? I've given up, my Mac+Ubuntu will be a much better solution. :)

Microsoft Windows 7:
Starter,
Home Basic,
Home Premium,
Business,
Enterprise,
Ultimate.
--Advertising's a no-no. :)
kiddietron
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?

Post by ScrAm on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 pm
([msg=17428]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

kiddietron wrote:I can't remember exactly where I heard but the Starter edition supposedly only runs 3 applications at once to simplify the OS for the average user... (Look at the third link.)

You haven't read enough about it. Windows XP came in SEVEN different versions.
Starter would be for phones, netbooks, etc.
Here's a comment from the third link:
W7 starter: the MID edition (you can't buy me.)

W7 home basic: the you can't buy me in any country Americans have heard of edition. (you can't buy me in any country with a gdp.)

W7 enterprise: the you've got offices in several states edition. (you can't buy me if you're reading engadget on a Tuesday afternoon.)

which brings us to;
W7 home premium: the I bought my dell at walmart edition. (you can probably buy me at walmart.)

W7 professional: the I have an IT department, or I built my own home server edition. (you can buy me at best buy, but probably not at walmart.)

W7 ultimate: the I know enough about computers that I'm not wingeing about how many editions of windows 7 there are edition. (you can buy me at the same place you ordered your waterblocks.)

So there we have it, 3 versions you can actually purchase.

:)
ScrAm
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by kiddietron on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 pm
([msg=17439]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

Hmm, well I guess I was wrong on some points. Thanks ScrAm for correcting me.

I still don't really like the fact that it's split up into so many versions regardless of how many XP had.

Once again, thanks for clearing this up a bit.
--Advertising's a no-no. :)
kiddietron
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by xcurious on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm
([msg=17443]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

umm can i have one ultimate mixed with a starter and a large fries

no onions
- Apologies to all who I have flamed in the past. Thanks mods for unbanning me.

ckw100 wrote:so i have been pacticeing my batch file hacking for networks
xcurious
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Toxic_Duck on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:32 am
([msg=24813]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

Having just got to grips with Vista I noticed they've changed the whole UI again. Seriously cant they bring out a simple UI and not make it so you have to re-read the entire technical manual more than once. That so pisses me off. They only changed it because everyone ripped on them about it looking like an apple Mac so now they're ripping it off what? Can't they just leave it alone. I miss the old days when you used to be able to RIP IE out of the desktop and replace it with GeoShell or LiteStep.

Is it Mac or is it Windows.. behold the awesomeness of GeoShell

http://www.geoshell.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=79&g2_serialNumber=2
Toxic_Duck
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:29 pm
([msg=24818]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

Solution: Linux
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 pm
([msg=24837]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

Though WINE is good for a lot of games if your hardware is supported, Windows still pwns Linux when it comes to gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux (using BT4 right now :D), but Windows is still a necessity for me.

However, I certainly don't play on getting Windows 7 anytime soon.Maybe if I'm bored one weekend some torrents will come into play, but I'm gripping onto XP until the times catch up to me and I'm forced to let go. By that time, this laptop will hardly be able to run any new games at all though, so it'll be turned into a pure Linxtop.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by AtlasDark on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 pm
([msg=24870]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

True enough, but the native games are higher quality - it's a question over whether you want more free and ridiculous-looking games scripted by people who flock to click-to-create games or those who have to know what they're doing. The larger percentage of the Microdrones use Windows because whatever isn't branded by M$ or it's authorized retailers is going to end up shunned.

XP was nice, though, and ever since the disastrous decision to roll out Vista was made, I sympathize for those who cling to the new-gen M$ software. Games will rapidly progress and obsolete older systems fast.

Webware is the future.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by Lacrimo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 am
([msg=28235]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

Ubuntu Linux comes in 3 different editions: Desktop, server, and netbook. Isn't that the way it should be? Arch comes in one edition: Base System, get anything else you want with pacman. Isn't that a great idea?
May the source be with you.
Lacrimo
New User
New User

Post by acantho on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:38 pm
([msg=40174]see Re: Windows 7 in 6 different editions?[/msg])

I'm running vista, and before that I had windows NT 2000 on an old laptop. I had upgraded to NT 2000, purely as I had to for itunes to run. In all honesty I really prefered windows 98 as regards the look and feel of the OS. I know it probably wasn't the best OS as regards security and such, but times change and security issues with comps changes fast.

But just the look and the feel of the old 98 OS and the way the files where stored. One other thing was the ability to just "shove in a disk/cd" if you where having startup problems or there where some missing/corrupted start up/system files and have it easily repaired - not something you can do with vista as I've found out the hard way.
Other than that I've never had any probs with vista and do quite like the OS and the interface - but I liked 98 more :cry:
acantho
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Microsoft Windows