Describe your religion.

For discussing religion and related topics.

Describe your religion.

Post by Brent-tc on Tue May 26, 2009 3:15 am
([msg=24428]see Describe your religion.[/msg])

I'm writing an essay, and I figure that a forum is a good way to work out some of my ideas. Hence:

I would like all of you to describe your religion, and why you have chosen that particular faith.
The only rules are:
1) Do not bash, lest ye be bashed. Commenting is allowed, but only if you have given your own, independent input.
2) Do not use predefined religions like Christianity and whatnot.
3) Don't be boring about it.
---Saying "I don't believe there is a god." is just too boring. Say why you don't believe there is a god. Why is your religion any better than anyone else's, or is it?
etc.
=====
I'll go first:

I believe that only when we ourselves are dead, and perhaps not even then, will we know anything regarding the afterlife, as we cannot rely on stories and words that, in all other contexts, would be labeled fairly tales, as proof of what happens next.

Additionally, we cannot rule out these stories just because they seem silly. Perhaps that is the point, or maybe we just have this false idea of what is logical. I believe that when dealing with religion, anything is a possibility.

That said, I do not truly have a religion, so much, as a philosophy ... if that makes any sense at all. I believe that as long as I use common sense and hold on to some fundamental morals, I will be just as well off as the next guy, or at very least, happy.

To me, this is a much more logical, and much less hypocritical, way of dealing with religion. Religion is not something that should be handled using static and definite ideas. Furthermore, it is not something that can simply be proven or disproven. It cannot be disproven, simply because it is a topic that literally extends beyond the universe we know, and thus, can remain unaffected by anything we know or experience. It definitely cannot be proven, because to *truly* prove something, you must also prove the proof, and then prove the proof's proof, and so on, thus resulting in an endless number of proofs, and an unreachable goal. You get the idea, and now, you get to post.

Generally, this idea is classified as Agnosticism. :D 8-) :twisted: :mrgreen: :!: :oops: :o :x :twisted: :arrow: :cry: 8-) ;) :x :!: :ugeek: :!: :x ;) 8-) :cry: :arrow: :twisted: :x :o :oops: :!: :mrgreen: :twisted: 8-) :D
Brent-tc
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Describe your religion.

Post by zenithSmil3 on Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 am
([msg=24432]see Re: Describe your religion.[/msg])

My religion is tablelism.

It is a religion that is not based upon the belief of a divine being, but based on the idea that just because you believe in something doesn't mean you have to worship said thing.

That is why, we put our faith into tables and that they should continue existing. We believe tables exist. Most of us are Solipsists so that in itself is pretty hard... especially because of Plato's Cave.

I believe that only when we ourselves are dead, and perhaps not even then, will we know anything regarding the afterlife, as we cannot rely on stories and words that, in all other contexts, would be labeled fairly tales, as proof of what happens next.

That's true. I could have died, came back to life, tell people what I saw and I doubt they'd believe me.

:D 8-) :twisted: :mrgreen: :!: :oops: :o :x :twisted: :arrow: :cry: 8-) ;) :x :!: :ugeek: :!: :x ;) 8-) :cry: :arrow: :twisted: :x :o :oops: :!: :mrgreen: :twisted: 8-) :D

Too many smilies.
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by Brent-tc on Tue May 26, 2009 7:39 am
([msg=24436]see Re: Describe your religion.[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:
<br><br>That's true. I could have died, came back to life, tell people what I saw and I doubt they'd believe me.

If you died and were later revived, only to come back remembering nothing, would that imply that there is nothing to go on to once you die? I doubt that is how most would view it, so why should any credibility be given to anything more than nothing? In your particular case--you are presumably a Solipist, which you really should have elaborated on--it perhaps can be viewed more credibly.

In other words, you are right in doubting that people would believe you. I personally may believe that you did indeed see something, but I would consider it an entirely fabricated idea until more proof was presented. ;)
=====
There is no such thing as too many smileys. BTW.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
This message was rushed, I am ten minutes late for school as it is.
///////////
Brent-tc
New User
New User

Post by zenithSmil3 on Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 am
([msg=24437]see Re: Describe your religion.[/msg])

I might be a Solipsist but then again... maybe not. Maybe my conscious mind thinks I am though in the absolute reality, I'm not. Knowledge can't be gained, it can't be passed to others and nobody can understand it.

So for now, I'm Tablelist
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Return to Religion