imac G3

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

imac G3

Post by newdude on Wed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm
([msg=2440]see imac G3[/msg])

i recently bought an imac g3. It is really old and I want to upgrade it but i am n00b. Does anyone know what I need to to with it. I also want to run Linux on it but i don't know if Linux works on Macs
newdude
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: imac G3

Post by romulous on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:21 am
([msg=4884]see Re: imac G3[/msg])

First, get an AMD, or Intel processor, and motherboard. Put those in, and get a new big HDD. Newegg has a 500gb for under $100. Put those in, then get ram compatable for your system. The get a can of KRYLON spray paint. Cover up any unsightly Crapple logo's.
Processors:
Amd Athlon 64X2 @ 2.8ghz or better, or a Phenom procesor however you can get it.
For intel, get a P-4 dual core @ 2.8ghz or higher (Socket LGA 775), a core 2 duo @ 2.8ghz or higher, a core 2 quad however you can get it.
Make sure to get a motherboard with a compatible socket, and note the type of ram it takes. Put in at least 2, but preferably more gigs of ram.
Then, finally for God's sake don't tell anyone you bought an apple, or tell them that you did and gutted it to make a real PC.
romulous
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Hardware