Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation

Post by Cyber_Specter on Mon May 25, 2009 6:35 am
([msg=24339]see Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

Social engineering is a useful tool today (see my post in comments and suggestions) and is almost as hard to understand as many of the programming languages we teach here. It is a hard read.

But once again it is useful so I would like someone to post some places to find books on the subjects of the title of this post.
I have searched but not deeply and the only one i can recommend as a really good read is Mind control: The Ancient art of Psychological Warfare.

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Control-Anci ... 973&sr=8-1
shown here.

Lets learn something new.
Cyber_Specter
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation

Post by AtlasDark on Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 am
([msg=24352]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

It's not difficult at all, you simply must have good speechcraft and foresight (eg preempting a person).

Good recommendation on the book, though.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 am
([msg=24355]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

I don't think it's hard...

A lot of it is just common sense right? Requires good EQ and how to deal with people... it just comes naturally if you talk to people enough. And, it is pretty easy to understand. You don't need to learn it through books and memorize *this is what you do in this situation* like you do in programming. A lot of social engineering is already built in our heads as we deal with people every day.
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 am
([msg=24358]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

Social engingeering is fail. People who try to social engineer tend to get caught out and pussy off to somewhere else to try and find someone stupider than they are.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 am
([msg=24366]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:Social engingeering is fail.

It is clear that your definition of social engineering is different from the others. Just what is "Social Engineering" to you?
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 am
([msg=24367]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

tis not a comment whose intention was to open discussion
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am
([msg=24372]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

Have you ever had your acount stolen just after talking to someone on that site? Well if you have then you may want to ask why? More than likly you are too open for attacks. It could be that my sense of security is too high to trust anyone/most people, with any personal info or information that may give away my password.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 am
([msg=24378]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:Have you ever had your acount stolen just after talking to someone on that site? Well if you have then you may want to ask why? More than likly you are too open for attacks. It could be that my sense of security is too high to trust anyone/most people, with any personal info or information that may give away my password.

Nice rant...but it didn't answer the question. What is *your* definition of "social engineering"?
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:32 am
([msg=24379]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

aNewHobby4me wrote:
godofcereal wrote:Have you ever had your acount stolen just after talking to someone on that site? Well if you have then you may want to ask why? More than likly you are too open for attacks. It could be that my sense of security is too high to trust anyone/most people, with any personal info or information that may give away my password.

Nice rant...but it didn't answer the question. What is *your* definition of "social engineering"?

Ah, drop it, people here already showed how they think of it... this is just aggravating stuff...
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 am
([msg=24381]see Re: Social Engineering, Mind Control and The Art of Manipulation[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:
Ah, drop it, people here already showed how they think of it... this is just aggravating stuff...

You're right. But it *is* frustrating trying to understand someone's point of view when they won't even define their terms.
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Social Engineering