Hatred for organized religion.

For discussing religion and related topics.

Hatred for organized religion.

Post by ph4nt0m on Fri May 22, 2009 7:15 am
([msg=24169]see Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

Is there anyone else that is absolutely disgusted by religion? I hate every aspect of it. People are free to believe what they want, but it has clearly infected our world. I can't think of one good thing religion has ever done. Right wing judgmental Christians rule this country. Seeing that Obama won they might possibly be losing their foothold. My parents are Christians and they talk bad about him because "God" isn't part of his foreign policy. I just feel like religion is detrimental to the progress of this country, or any country for that matter. It sickens me, anyone else? :evil:
User avatar
ph4nt0m
New User
New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Florida
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by Finarfin Palantir on Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 am
([msg=24171]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

Well, I consider myself a christian.

But yes I do agree, religion and politics are not the same thing, they should not influence each other, I'm sorry if I piss anyone off by saying this, but you'll have to deal with it if I do:

Churches are more business than religion, I have no problem with religion, but I do have a problem with businesses that rely on religion.

I can't speak for other religions on this matter, but for christianity, absolutely
Finarfin Palantir
New User
New User
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by zenithSmil3 on Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 am
([msg=24174]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

This point of view is coming from a tableist (Secular Religion XD)

Well, religion is there to add a spiritual and moral aspect to somebody's life. It is a way of life. But if you read any of the holy books (Revelations is my favourite part of the bible) its not like they say go out and be right ring judgmental people. Your argument is with humanity not God.

There are also different aspects of religion. Not all religious people act that way. A lot of them use religion as a guideline to their life and a reason to be moral good people.

Personally, I feel the state should be separate from religion. It isn't the religions fault, mainly it is people using religion as an excuse to express a lot of their beliefs.

"the separation of church & state is a double-edged sword. If religion cannot influence government, nor can government influence religion."

Actually, it would also help if you provide specific examples of how "is detrimental to the progress of this country" rather than just from personal experience so I could relate to it.

Back to organized religion: For a lot of people I know (oh, personal experience) they attend church to meet other people like them not for a fully religious purpose. It is quite social. However, you can't say all organized religion is bad. A lot of them do charity work and such.
Meh.
User avatar
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by Finarfin Palantir on Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 am
([msg=24175]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:This point of view is coming from a tableist (Secular Religion XD)<br><br>Well, religion is there to add a spiritual and moral aspect to somebody's life. It is a way of life. But if you read any of the holy books (Revelations is my favourite part of the bible) its not like they say go out and be right ring judgmental people. Your argument is with humanity not God.<br><br>There are also different aspects of religion. Not all religious people act that way. A lot of them use religion as a guideline to their life and a reason to be moral good people. <br><br>Personally, I feel the state should be separate from religion. It isn't the religions fault, mainly it is people using religion as an excuse to express a lot of their beliefs.<br><br>"the separation of church & state is a double-edged sword. If religion cannot influence government, nor can government influence religion."


I think that just took exactly what I wanted to say and said it straight without beating around the bush, I agree completely. It's a really harsh statement, but also one I agree with completely.
Finarfin Palantir
New User
New User
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by zenithSmil3 on Fri May 22, 2009 9:09 am
([msg=24183]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

Harsh? I was actually making an effort to be very polite and not express my undiluted opinion. XD
Meh.
User avatar
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by Finarfin Palantir on Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 am
([msg=24184]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

I didn't mean harsh as in rude, I meant harsh as in, inconsiderate...

A statement like that takes one side into consideration, not both, although I do agree with the side your on, it's still a pretty bold statement :)
Finarfin Palantir
New User
New User
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by zenithSmil3 on Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 am
([msg=24185]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

ph4nt0m wrote:Is there anyone else that is absolutely disgusted by religion? I hate every aspect of it. ... ...but it has clearly infected our world. I can't think of one good thing religion has ever done. Right wing judgmental Christians rule this country. ...they might possibly be losing their foothold. My parents are Christians and they talk bad about him because "God" isn't part of his foreign policy. I just feel like religion is detrimental to the progress of this country, or any country for that matter. It sickens me, anyone else? :evil:


A one sided question deserves a one sided answer.


However, I should have been more considerate ^^
Meh.
User avatar
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by ph4nt0m on Fri May 22, 2009 8:29 pm
([msg=24209]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:Actually, it would also help if you provide specific examples of how "is detrimental to the progress of this country" rather than just from personal experience so I could relate to it.


I see it as detrimental because fundamentalist Christians are afraid of change. The same people that hate gays and anything else that doesn't fit into their biased opinions. They feel everything is good the way it is, because this country was "founded on God". When in actuality it was founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible. Love and forgiveness are the two that stand out to me the most. That would be from the New Testament though, when God was in a good mood. I was a christian for 16 years of my life and I feel like it was the biggest waste of time. Using religion as a moral up lifter is great, that doesn't make it real though. Not allowing the United States to change the ways that clearly aren't working so well is detrimental in my opinion.
User avatar
ph4nt0m
New User
New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Florida
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by zenithSmil3 on Sat May 23, 2009 10:56 am
([msg=24235]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

ph4nt0m wrote:
zenithSmil3 wrote:Actually, it would also help if you provide specific examples of how "is detrimental to the progress of this country" rather than just from personal experience so I could relate to it.


I see it as detrimental because fundamentalist Christians are afraid of change. The same people that hate gays and anything else that doesn't fit into their biased opinions. They feel everything is good the way it is, because this country was "founded on God". When in actuality it was founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible. Love and forgiveness are the two that stand out to me the most. That would be from the New Testament though, when God was in a good mood. I was a christian for 16 years of my life and I feel like it was the biggest waste of time. Using religion as a moral up lifter is great, that doesn't make it real though. Not allowing the United States to change the ways that clearly aren't working so well is detrimental in my opinion.


Praying always helps even if it doesn't work. Believing in something false could even be good for you.

Being afraid of change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Those kinds of people are called Conservatives, and it is their viewpoint that life was better in the past. Some people are for change and some aren't. Change isn't even necessarily a good thing. There are some thoughts that are just way too radical and such.

"The same people that hate gays and anything else that doesn't fit into their biased opinions"
Uhhh... that is the point of opinion. Opinions are biased. And not supporting gay rights is not a bad thing either. Hate crimes... yea that is bad but you can't just put the blame on organized religion.

"They feel everything is good the way it is, because this country was "founded on God". When in actuality it was founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible."
God is the one who installed such ideas and teachings into the bible, so founded on God and founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible is basically the same anyway.
Meh.
User avatar
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Hatred for organized religion.

Post by ph4nt0m on Sun May 24, 2009 7:39 pm
([msg=24316]see Re: Hatred for organized religion.[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:"They feel everything is good the way it is, because this country was "founded on God". When in actuality it was founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible."
God is the one who installed such ideas and teachings into the bible, so founded on God and founded on the ideas and teachings of the bible is basically the same anyway.


Well your speaking from a viewpoint that such a thing as a supreme being exists. And like you said before believing in something is healthy. But I don't understand why faith is such a good thing. I could have faith in Santa Clause although we both know he isn't real. So basing all of our choices on this invisible magician in the sky is ridiculous. That really isn't even a matter of opinion, it's true. Bush said "God" was apart of his foreign policy and look how that turned out? I guess my hatred is based on religion in general. Because there are so many, and they all believe they are the correct one.
User avatar
ph4nt0m
New User
New User
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:22 am
Location: Florida
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests