Spyware on the rise...

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Spyware on the rise...

Post by sandsphinx on Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 pm
([msg=24109]see Spyware on the rise...[/msg])

I am writing this topic just for the members who have spyware constantly on there PC, i mean, i had downloaded AVG and Spyware Doctor And i had my firewall turned on, and yet i still had 22 viruses on my PC. Error messages about low system memory and so on so forth continuously flooded my pc, Spyware redirected every website i visited... It was utter chaos.

This is a quick, not very amazing, easy list of what to do to protect from spyware:

1. Download an anti spyware program, such as AVG, or Spybot S&D
2. Never work online while a firewall is turned off.
3. Use a secure web browser, i suggest Google Chrome or Firefox
4. Make sure that you delete unknown cookies, as these could be tracker cookies.
5. Make sure that Windows Defender is updated regularly, although Defender is a slow and annoying program..
6. Just use a program that tells you what sites are safe and a program that doesnt allow unsecure downloads to initiate
7. Some websites upon loading automatically download a file onto your pc, make sure you do not click accept.
8. Disable Pop Ups, this really doesnt protect you from viruses, but stops irritationg windows...

I know that the list isn't exactly amazing. But it was a quick one, and i have learnt from alot of mistakes. If you need any help how about you PM me. Ill be happy to help.
And do any of you reccomend any programs for antispyware or antivirus, and what do you use altogether, browser, programs, etc...
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Spyware on the rise...

Post by haha01haha01 on Thu May 21, 2009 12:26 pm
([msg=24113]see Re: Spyware on the rise...[/msg])

i think you are a bit exaggerating...
A decent anti-virus and windows firewall is all you need. spywares and other stuff dont just download themselves because you are connected to the internet (with the exception of 0-day exploits, but even the windows firewall is usually good enough to stop these), you have to do something to run them.

also, about the cookie part. can anyone explain me how can a text file be infected? :roll:
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Post by sandsphinx on Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm
([msg=24117]see Re: Spyware on the rise...[/msg])

I wish i was exaggerating, but then again, as i said, its not all ofthe things that was wrong with my pc at the time, there were problems still unknown now. And i ahve never heard of infected text files.. I have heard of HTMl files, used to look like a text file, but have secrect porgrams running behind it.. Used to fool the viewer into clicking it, and then a popup occurs...
And can anyone tell me how to create an IP tracker using an image. I have heard of a HTML file, with a picture in it, and behind the picture a IP tracker function is working secretly. Does anyone have any idea? And can they give me a quick summary of what it is? i want one for my website thats all... would google, but i like using HTS
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by haha01haha01 on Thu May 21, 2009 1:45 pm
([msg=24128]see Re: Spyware on the rise...[/msg])

sandsphinx wrote:I wish i was exaggerating, but then again, as i said, its not all ofthe things that was wrong with my pc at the time, there were problems still unknown now. And i ahve never heard of infected text files.. I have heard of HTMl files, used to look like a text file, but have secrect porgrams running behind it.. Used to fool the viewer into clicking it, and then a popup occurs...
And can anyone tell me how to create an IP tracker using an image. I have heard of a HTML file, with a picture in it, and behind the picture a IP tracker function is working secretly. Does anyone have any idea? And can they give me a quick summary of what it is? i want one for my website thats all... would google, but i like using HTS

Listen. As far as i know, if the attacker is not using a browser\OS exploit, you have to download and run an executable for a malware to plant itself in your computer. If anyone has an objection, ill be glad to listen to it.

as for the image thing, its quite simple. when an image in your server is being read, you can see the IP reading it. many sites make 1x1 images that simply log every IP address accessing them. its not a malware, and even if you get someone's ip there are very limited things you can do with it.
There are 11 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, those who don't and those who already heard this joke.
haha01haha01
Poster
Poster

Return to Malware