Large Hadron collider

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Re: Large Hadron collider

Post by AtlasDark on Wed May 20, 2009 6:05 pm
([msg=24058]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

If the experiment yielded no results of particular interest (or yielded a result in which we already knew of), then what would we do with the system then? I don't question their intelligence.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by godofcereal on Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 am
([msg=24084]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

So once they find out how the universe started they will go off and play with their next toy? There is a list of people who want to use this to test their theory. And if they find something they already knew then that just confirms what they know.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by zenithSmil3 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 am
([msg=24229]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

They're actually looking for a "God Particle"
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Sat May 23, 2009 9:36 am
([msg=24230]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:They're actually looking for a "God Particle"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nice dude, I guess you saw "Angels and Demons" too?
You cant get anti-matter, theres no way to contain it. If they did manage to make they cant do anything with it, why? Matter + anti-matter = very bad.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by zenithSmil3 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:57 am
([msg=24232]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You cant get anti-matter, theres no way to contain it. If they did manage to make they cant do anything with it, why? Matter + anti-matter = very bad.

I don't much like Dan Brown actually. Read Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress but no, not Angels and Demons. Movies always ruin the books =(

I mentioned it because it was in this other book I read.

The actual particle is called the Higgs boson particle... and is only called the God Particle because of 'popular culture'.

"The Higgs boson is a massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model in particle physics. At present there are no known fundamental scalar particles in nature.

The Higgs boson is the only Standard Model particle that has not yet been observed. Experimental detection of the Higgs boson would help explain the origin of mass in the universe. More specifically, the Higgs boson would explain the difference between the massless photon, which mediates electromagnetism, and the massive W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force. If the Higgs boson exists, it is an integral and pervasive component of the material world." [wikipedia]

Sorry, got too serious about it :D (and mentioned redundant information a lot of people already know about)
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by novalyphe on Wed May 27, 2009 8:58 am
([msg=24483]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

While I agree that what is explained in "Angels and Demons" is far from what can currently be achieved, to say that it is impossible to contain anti-matter is just incorrect. Anti-matter can be produced under laboratory conditions and can be contained by electromagnetic fields inside a vacuum.

In terms of what can be done with it... Same principal as nuclear fission and fusion except the only product of the annihilation is energy, no left-overs as it where.

Also, anti-matter is not, as far as I am aware being researched at CERN, and is certainly nothing to do with the ATLAS experiment (the one which is looking for the Higgs Boson). It is completely unrelated to the Higgs Boson particle which someone has already done a pretty good job of explaining.
novalyphe
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:23 pm
([msg=31762]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:
AtlasDark wrote:What I'm waiting for is seeing what they do with it if it fails. What are they going to do afterwards with all of that equipment? Make the world's largest random object collision system? :lol:

What do you mean by fail? Breakdown? Explosion? You do know that this is being used by scientists and engineers who know what they are doing? And that the chances of it breaking/exploding/black hole or whatever is really really slim.

Yes, there is a very low chance something will go wrong, and Atlas, if the test proves the theory wrong there's always more particles to collide.

But godofcereal...isn't the entire point of science is that we DON'T know what we're doing? That's why we conduct experiments.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Goatboy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 pm
([msg=31790]see Re: Large Hadron collider[/msg])

OneArrow wrote:I can't even count how many times I've misread that name...

Large Hardon Collider?

Yea, I typed that into Google on accident...

Baaaad idea...
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Math & Science