Do U think prayer works

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Dredric1 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 pm
([msg=22081]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

for those of you who think that prayer works

______________________________________

(a) do you think that if we prayed for each other we would be better off?

(b) do you want me or other people from hackthissite to pray for you?
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
User avatar
Dredric1
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Charlieace on Sun May 10, 2009 7:02 pm
([msg=23543]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

after hundreds of prayers, i don't really think so. besides, what I now believe is that god interferes once in a while, a so-called miracle. if he answered every prayer then the world would be meaningless.
GET ME OUT OF AMERICA! MOVE ME TO IRELAND! IT LOOKS COOL THERE!

"In a world where stupidity has become the normal, it is better to be strange."

The Internet is my classroom.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by fiftysixer on Mon May 11, 2009 2:09 am
([msg=23550]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

The definate, non-refutable fact is that prayer is not 100% effective all the time. Even the most devout person wouldn't say that.

However - there's prayer and then there's prayer. Simply begging your deity to help you win the lottery will obviously not have any effect. But what if you're praying for something else - e.g. a sick person should get better. And what about the intensity/concentration/motivation of your prayers? And what does your particular religion hold about your type of prayer?

Kinda changes the question a little bit :p

To answer OP: Yes, I do. But I think a lot of it is psychological - e.g. prayer gives you the inner strength and resolve to help yourself. There's a saying that a little determination goes a long way, and I think it applies here too.

EDIT:
It's kinda like when you're spending hours compiling a new kernel or something, and you're muttering the whole time "oh god let it work let it work let it work....". That could be considered prayer...but all it does is help you cope better. God himself isn't going to say "oh alright, I'll help you out just this one time...change your gcc flags."
Image
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Spectre557 on Mon May 11, 2009 12:21 pm
([msg=23567]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Prayers don't "work" because a prayer is just talking (or maybe talking in your head) to yourself, because there's no one listening. Like everything about religion, prayer is a huge hypocrisy that makes no sense whatsoever, even in theistic terms.

Muskelmann098 wrote:I have had some times when I have prayed and it somehow turned out exactly as I asked for. Could be coincidence, but some of the "miracles" were just too spot on.

Of course it did. If you rolled a dice a hundred times, the odds are it'll land on 6 at least once.

tomthecool wrote:No, of course prayers do not work. Prayer is a way that people can feel like they are helping, whilst actually doing nothing.

Rather than just thinking about people who need help, or asking a magic man in the sky to help them, why not go out there and do it yourself? I'm sure they would appreciate that a lot more.

Precisely.
Current obsession: Minecraft
User avatar
Spectre557
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by neocontra on Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 pm
([msg=23572]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

From an atheistic standpoint (as a former atheist), prayer can only quiet one's own mind enough to either find an answer they already knew, or to relax one's self enough for natural healing to take place. The proof for that is the fact that stress increases our susceptibility to illness, plus it offers a placebo affect. If you believe it will help, then it will help.

From a Christian standpoint, prayer is meant as a way for one person to convene with God in a private place. Prayer has become bastardized, and though it may work, if you are praying in front of a large group, or in church, or anywhere someone else can see you....you need to ask yourself why you are praying at all. Also, while prayer does accomplish some things, often times it's better to just ask for God's blessing and to do something physically (when you can) rather than just praying that it somehow happens.
User avatar
neocontra
New User
New User
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Heath Winchester on Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm
([msg=23580]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:Prayers don't "work" because a prayer is just talking (or maybe talking in your head) to yourself, because there's no one listening. Like everything about religion, prayer is a huge hypocrisy that makes no sense whatsoever, even in theistic terms.

Muskelmann098 wrote:I have had some times when I have prayed and it somehow turned out exactly as I asked for. Could be coincidence, but some of the "miracles" were just too spot on.

Of course it did. If you rolled a dice a hundred times, the odds are it'll land on 6 at least once.

tomthecool wrote:No, of course prayers do not work. Prayer is a way that people can feel like they are helping, whilst actually doing nothing.

Rather than just thinking about people who need help, or asking a magic man in the sky to help them, why not go out there and do it yourself? I'm sure they would appreciate that a lot more.

Precisely.


A question. How exactly do you consider prayer to be a hypocrisy? I understand about Religions all being very hypocritical, but saying prayer is a hypocrisy is like saying meditation is. It's a calming effect whether anybody is listening or not. If praying can calm people down and help them feel more confident then I encourage it.

Also, just because people are praying for you does not mean that they are also not getting off their asses and doing something. Don't make the mistake of believing that. Many Christians I know think that if God's going to help you out at all you better be damn sure you're going to have to do something yourself. Many Christians do not believe that God will do whatever the hell they want him to do at anytime. The ones I know are very hard working people that do a lot of good because of their faith.

I don't really know if it works or not. I do believe very strongly though in the effects of negative and positive energy. To me, prayer is positive energy. When you have a lot of positive energy coming your way (people praying for you) certain things will happen. I don't pray, but I have a lot of people "praying" for me as most of my family are devout Christians.

Eh, that's so bloody opinionated I know. I'm not trying to change anything by saying that. Just thought I'd throw it in there.
I don't need my parents anymore. Google answers all my questions now.

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."-Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Heath Winchester
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Strawberry_Kittens on Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm
([msg=23581]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Prayer is the one way for everyone to feel like they're helping without actually doing anything, it's government mindwashing used to keep the middle and lower classes separated and fighting over which religion is better while they keep controlling the country.

No, it doesn't work dumbass.
Amazon Wishlist - Have I helped you in some way? Thank me by buying something on my wishlist!
Steam Wishlist - I'll play with you if it's a multiplayer game you buy.
Strawberry_Kittens
New User
New User
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: Hartland, Maine
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Spectre557 on Mon May 11, 2009 2:35 pm
([msg=23584]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Heath Winchester wrote:A question. How exactly do you consider prayer to be a hypocrisy?

I suppose it actually depends on the object of the prayer. If that person is praying because they think that they're going to get something out of it, i.e. a "spiritual" or physical reward or blessing, or favour with their god, then that is in contradiction with other teachings which they probably hold in high regard. For example, asking God personally to do something for you could be considered as showing a lack of faith in "God's plan", "testing" God, or expressing a doubt about his power to do something.

If God is omniscient, then praying has no point because he knows exactly what you want anyway, and if you don't already have it, he must not want you to. He also knew that you were going to pray, and what you were going to ask for, even if you didn't do it.

Heath Winchester wrote:It's a calming effect whether anybody is listening or not. If praying can calm people down and help them feel more confident then I encourage it.

But prayer gives people false hope. It encourages them to spend their whole lives asking someone else for help, and not doing it themself, although as you say there are plenty of exceptions. Prayer is, in this way, a bit like smoking... it calms you down and makes you feel better, but is actually bad for you in the long run.

Heath Winchester wrote:I don't really know if it works or not. I do believe very strongly though in the effects of negative and positive energy. To me, prayer is positive energy. When you have a lot of positive energy coming your way (people praying for you) certain things will happen. I don't pray, but I have a lot of people "praying" for me as most of my family are devout Christians.

Fair enough, if that's what you logically conclude, and really believe is the best way to live, then best of luck. :) I hope it makes you as happy as praying does for others.

On a slightly less pleasant note... :|

Strawberry_Kittens wrote:Prayer is the one way for everyone to feel like they're helping without actually doing anything, it's government mindwashing used to keep the middle and lower classes separated and fighting over which religion is better while they keep controlling the country. No, it doesn't work dumbass.

Don't spout a load of unfounded crap about government conspiracies without some evidence. Especially not when you're going to be rude about it, and you're unwilling to intelligently debate it. :evil:
Current obsession: Minecraft
User avatar
Spectre557
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Heath Winchester on Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm
([msg=23587]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:
Heath Winchester wrote:A question. How exactly do you consider prayer to be a hypocrisy?

I suppose it actually depends on the object of the prayer. If that person is praying because they think that they're going to get something out of it, i.e. a "spiritual" or physical reward or blessing, or favour with their god, then that is in contradiction with other teachings which they probably hold in high regard. For example, asking God personally to do something for you could be considered as showing a lack of faith in "God's plan", "testing" God, or expressing a doubt about his power to do something.

If God is omniscient, then praying has no point because he knows exactly what you want anyway, and if you don't already have it, he must not want you to. He also knew that you were going to pray, and what you were going to ask for, even if you didn't do it.

Heath Winchester wrote:It's a calming effect whether anybody is listening or not. If praying can calm people down and help them feel more confident then I encourage it.

But prayer gives people false hope. It encourages them to spend their whole lives asking someone else for help, and not doing it themself, although as you say there are plenty of exceptions. Prayer is, in this way, a bit like smoking... it calms you down and makes you feel better, but is actually bad for you in the long run.

Heath Winchester wrote:I don't really know if it works or not. I do believe very strongly though in the effects of negative and positive energy. To me, prayer is positive energy. When you have a lot of positive energy coming your way (people praying for you) certain things will happen. I don't pray, but I have a lot of people "praying" for me as most of my family are devout Christians.

Fair enough, if that's what you logically conclude, and really believe is the best way to live, then best of luck. :) I hope it makes you as happy as praying does for others.

On a slightly less pleasant note... :|

Strawberry_Kittens wrote:Prayer is the one way for everyone to feel like they're helping without actually doing anything, it's government mindwashing used to keep the middle and lower classes separated and fighting over which religion is better while they keep controlling the country. No, it doesn't work dumbass.

Don't spout a load of unfounded crap about government conspiracies without some evidence. Especially not when you're going to be rude about it, and you're unwilling to intelligently debate it. :evil:


Ah, ok. I see what you meant now. ;) Makes sense as far as I'm concerned.

@ Strawberry Kitten guy , what exactly is your reasoning behind the government brainwashing people into praying? I doubt you have much as it seems you don't really care whether or not you sound reasonable but seriously...why would the government use prayer to control people? That doesn't even make sense as prayer is not the reason Religions fight. If anything, prayer is one of the few things most religions have in common.
I don't need my parents anymore. Google answers all my questions now.

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."-Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Heath Winchester
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Do U think prayer works

Post by Dredric1 on Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 pm
([msg=24063]see Re: Do U think prayer works[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:
Heath Winchester wrote:A question. How exactly do you consider prayer to be a hypocrisy?

I suppose it actually depends on the object of the prayer. If that person is praying because they think that they're going to get something out of it, i.e. a "spiritual" or physical reward or blessing, or favour with their god, then that is in contradiction with other teachings which they probably hold in high regard. For example, asking God personally to do something for you could be considered as showing a lack of faith in "God's plan", "testing" God, or expressing a doubt about his power to do something.


its only hypocrisy if their teachings contradict what they are praying for

and your right people doubt and have a lack of faith often
and thats why we see Him less

if you ask GOD for something and doubt He can do this
its a mockery in His face its like saying do this for me but since i know
that you cant ill figure it out myself

and thats all wrong
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
User avatar
Dredric1
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron