2 Questions with Ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

2 Questions with Ubuntu

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:54 pm
([msg=18194]see 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

Ok, so i just finished upgrading from 7.04 ubuntu to 8.10 and it runs SOOOO MUCH BETTER on my system. It doesnt freeze anymore if i leave it up for 2 or more days. The wireless card on my laptop worked without messing with ndiswrapper and the sound with messing around with alsa. Pretty much everything just worked, and beautifully

Anyway the reason im asking these two questions is im pretty close to running Ubuntu as my primary OS i just have 2 questions

1. Is there any way to get Adobe Master Collection CS3/CS4 to work on Ubuntu other than a Virtual Machine? (im not including emulators like wine in that) Cause i tried Wine a while back and it wouldnt work. And i tried it again recently but only running the program from my windows hard drive, which it starts, shows me photoshop then crashes
so does anyone know of any way?

actually i just had a thought... im not sure if its possible
is there a way to point wine, instead of looking at its own windows directory, and its own registry and program files
but to point it to the ones on my windows computer? making it actually use real windows files, and potentially making the programs run without a problem? (i can think of a few reasons why that wouldnt work, but can think of a few of why it might, so im just asking)

2. Ubuntu got a lot better on my desktop. Before i had dual heads running to support my 2 monitors, and this was ANNOYING, not being able to drag windows to the second screen was a pain. Now however i can run the big desktop as long as im using the default ubuntu drivers. They however do not allow me to run desktop effects, or anything that requires an ok graphics card for that matter. However if i switch to the ATI drivers (i have a radeon x700 by the way) the card works great, and when i open up terminal and type
"sudo aticonfig --dtop=horizontal --overlay=0"
which is supposed to set up xorg for the big display using a program ati installs (obviously aticonfig) however it doesnt. And after installing the driver ubuntu fails to see my second monitor...
anyone have any clue?
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu

Post by BuTTHeaD on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:34 pm
([msg=18217]see Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

Ubuntu 8.10 is awesome.
Other than that idk.
LOl.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:44 am
([msg=18220]see Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

well as of right now, i havent messed with adobe

but ive been working on the big desktop for a while

after doing some stuff i found off of google, including messing with xorg and installing a new version of the catalyst program from ati i am able to use the propriatery ati driver to do a big desktop. However when it does it will not stay that way after a restart. Ive tried everything i can think of to fix this, and i know the problem is that the program does not have root access, so i tried logging in as root and doing it there. If i restart and log in as root it keeps the changes, but if i log back in as my user (which id prefer to do) it doesnt. Also when the big desktop is up, i cant enable desktop effects (which isnt really a big deal, but i dont think its working properly when its running big desktop) Also i tried running dual heads (which is what i did on 7.04) but whenever i do, it messes up a few times, then tells me it needs to load x in safe graphics mode. so yea...

any suggestions would be great!
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by 193zaitsev on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:53 pm
([msg=18241]see Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

I can't help you with most of that stuff, but...

The_Computer_Wizard wrote:is there a way to point wine, instead of looking at its own windows directory, and its own registry and program files
but to point it to the ones on my windows computer? making it actually use real windows files, and potentially making the programs run without a problem? (i can think of a few reasons why that wouldnt work, but can think of a few of why it might, so im just asking)

As far as I know it is possible. I would assume you'll have to correctly mount the ntfs partition (Ubuntu may do that automatically?). You can tell Wine to look for a Windows partition to load registry. This link may help. http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs ... r/registry
193zaitsev
New User
New User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:26 pm
([msg=18244]see Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

thanks a lot! that looks promising
if i can load my windows registry i have a feeling a lot more programs would work correctly
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by SunSpyda on Sat May 02, 2009 2:00 pm
([msg=23023]see Re: 2 Questions with Ubuntu[/msg])

I got a earlier version of Photoshop (CS2) working with Wine, but I'm not sure about the new versions. Have you tried Crossover Office or Cedega (Yes, it can be used for non games apps)?

Linux has never been good a multiple screens... I tried to get three to work (One dual head PCI-X card, and integrated graphics.), and I managed it, but it was difficult. CLI is needed most probably.

Learn how the x.conf file works, and try writing stuff into it. Ubuntu gives the option to use commercial closed source graphic drivers, so check these are installed, because running the official drivers is a good idea, especially with multi screen set ups.
SunSpyda
New User
New User

Return to *nix