I want to learn - I have learned  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: I want to learn - I have learned

Post by jeffce on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:42 pm
([msg=21893]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

Well after some of the intros ive read on here i think i might be in the minority...i'm 34 y/o and am just learning html. i have very good computer skills just not in how they actually work...LOL. anyway...i am presently learning basic html and want to continue afterward into java and then get started on python. i am looking at wanting to learn how to hack some day but not too sure where to start. any help is appreciated and can be pm'ed anytime. my goal is to be proficient in hacking to use it as a job after i retire from my present career. gotta look ahead. thanks in advance for any help that anyone sends me....
jeffce
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I want to learn

Post by blazeplatinumhacker on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:47 pm
([msg=22077]see Re: I want to learn[/msg])

eh.......... i wanna learn how to
1: protect myself/my comp from malicious users............ (i'm not going to say my OS >.>)
2: program (in general), i have already gotten basic HTML, have books on C++ (need codewarrior, pls help!), and had started using python......... but couldn't find tutorials >.> (gave that up for now)
3: make an OS (and also something to convert windows progs into that OS's lang)
4: learn how to use john the ripper........... it won't let me run it as "john" which has confused me horribly >.<
5: figure out how to get above script kiddie >.> (i admit that i am one, and in this recognition i still understand that not many even make it this far......)(i am also capable as a script kiddie, however i am only proficient with windows computers.)
blazeplatinumhacker
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 am
([msg=22142]see Re: I want to learn[/msg])

blazeplatinumhacker wrote:eh.......... i wanna learn how to
1: protect myself/my comp from malicious users............ (i'm not going to say my OS >.>)
2: program (in general), i have already gotten basic HTML, have books on C++ (need codewarrior, pls help!), and had started using python......... but couldn't find tutorials >.> (gave that up for now)
4: learn how to use john the ripper........... it won't let me run it as "john" which has confused me horribly >.<
5: figure out how to get above script kiddie >.> (i admit that i am one, and in this recognition i still understand that not many even make it this far......)(i am also capable as a script kiddie, however i am only proficient with windows computers.)

1. The first step to securing your system is to determine what is the most prevalent threat - Windows systems are subject to wave after wave of malware, and your security will need to rely on either commercial or solid freeware AV/AS systems; irregardless, hardware firewalls are your friends - I recommend you use one.

2. No tutorials on Python? How hard have you really been searching? Python is simplistic yet expansive, and I recommend pursuing it as a first. Don't even think of trying OO CDP until you know basic syntax and understand that coding is not just memorizing string after string of text; C is the victim of generalization that it is the most powerful and difficult language. Don't be sucked in this bandwagon - correct me if I'm wrong, but most commercial software does not rely on any one language, so you'll need to start at the bottom and work your way up. Doing so will allow you to understand the concept and thus become more successful in future endeavors.

3. That is ridiculously difficult, though don't be discouraged - with (crazy amounts of) time and study, you might just make the next popularized OS or an entry-level kernel. Do remember that an OS is not comprised of a GUI and specific handlers to such - the underlying framework is actually a "call-and-respond" model, which interprets commands and relays the results.

4. I've not really used JtR, so I can't say much there.

5. Script kiddies just (ab)use general scripts and software that is compiled with generally malicious (or joking) intent - as such, script kiddies can only be as effective as the person who compiled the software. However, being able to take down NASA with someone else's software is note-worthy, but does not even remotely make you a hacker if all you do is type in something and press a button. Programming helps you understand exactly what the software does, and would allow you to take advantage of exploits.

Feel free to add or detract from my statements as you guys see fit.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by dolphoneman on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm
([msg=22608]see Re: I want to learn[/msg])

AtlasDark wrote:
blazeplatinumhacker wrote:eh.......... i wanna learn how to

1. The first step to securing your system is to determine what is the most prevalent threat - Windows systems are subject to wave after wave of malware, and your security will need to rely on either commercial or solid freeware AV/AS systems; irregardless, hardware firewalls are your friends - I recommend you use one.

2. No tutorials on Python? How hard have you really been searching? Python is simplistic yet expansive, and I recommend pursuing it as a first. Don't even think of trying OO CDP until you know basic syntax and understand that coding is not just memorizing string after string of text; C is the victim of generalization that it is the most powerful and difficult language. Don't be sucked in this bandwagon - correct me if I'm wrong, but most commercial software does not rely on any one language, so you'll need to start at the bottom and work your way up. Doing so will allow you to understand the concept and thus become more successful in future endeavors.

3. That is ridiculously difficult, though don't be discouraged - with (crazy amounts of) time and study, you might just make the next popularized OS or an entry-level kernel. Do remember that an OS is not comprised of a GUI and specific handlers to such - the underlying framework is actually a "call-and-respond" model, which interprets commands and relays the results.

4. I've not really used JtR, so I can't say much there.

5. Script kiddies just (ab)use general scripts and software that is compiled with generally malicious (or joking) intent - as such, script kiddies can only be as effective as the person who compiled the software. However, being able to take down NASA with someone else's software is note-worthy, but does not even remotely make you a hacker if all you do is type in something and press a button. Programming helps you understand exactly what the software does, and would allow you to take advantage of exploits.

Feel free to add or detract from my statements as you guys see fit.

Atlas, you provided some good information, I enjoyed reading it, however, I believe blazeplatinumhacker is actually nosidius and this post is a dublicate from the first page of this forum post. Either someone forgot their password or was banned and decided to "change" IP addresses and use a different user name, I hate to call BS on my first post and will apologize if I am wrong, but a moderator will be the judge of that. Either way Atlas, you provided some of us first timers to the site with decent information.

Me, I would like to learn what hackers look for. jeffce, you are not alone in the fact that you are over 30 and new to the coding world. I am 36 and just getting ready to recieve my AA in IT. My main reason to be on this site is to get more of a "hacker" thought process. I plan on moving to a BS degree in Information System Security and believe that you can study all the theory you want, but hand-on goes much further. I am going through the missions and find them very informative. I will not post for help, but prefer to beat my head against the wall, we tend to remember more that way.

At any rate, happy learning and hacking, keep it clean.

Dolphoneman
dolphoneman
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:30 pm
([msg=22665]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

A duplicate, you say? Thanks for the tip-off; in either case, I appreciate your comment, I'm glad I could contribute.

I've taken a Cisco networking course, though they treated us as if we had no prior exposure to technology, which was rather frustrating, since the course reiterated obsolete teachings (this is a mouse, you don't throw it at the monitor) that we presume to be elementary knowledge. System Security sounds interesting.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by tightnme on Mon May 04, 2009 2:32 pm
([msg=23143]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

i wanna learn to script for video games and i also wanna l earn to hack them if i can break one down i figure id be able to programm one also wanna learn all the programming languages
tightnme
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 pm
([msg=23145]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

Lock plox?
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by Nolifer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 am
([msg=25190]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

I'm completely new at this, and know nothing whatsoever on how to do this.
I recently watched the movie "Hackers", don't know how realistic that is, but that does not matter, but I figuerd it would be an idea to learn how to protect myself from potential threats.

What I'm interrested in learning are the ability to protect meyself and my comp from malicious users.

The problem is that I have no idea where or how to start or what to do.

I have always been somewhat impatient, and prefer to see results fast.
However I'm aware that this is not something that is learned in 5 minutes, and may take a long time.
I'm not even sure if I can wrap my head around it and learn it, but I'm willing to give it a solid try.

If anyone could give me some pointers on where and how to being it would be apreciated.
Nolifer
New User
New User

Post by chipsch on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:36 pm
([msg=25836]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

Hey all, very new to the "hacking" side of the IT world, have experience on common hardware
troubleshooting and somewhat of a networking background, i.e. Network+. Currently a tech that
runs a node with data and voice capabilities. Nothing huge by any means. My personal goals
are to complete my B.S. in Comp Science and Math and pursue network security aggressively.
Would love to go into penetration testing. Have been told programming languages and learning
DOS inside out is a solid starting point. Anyone willing to give advice has my full attention.
Other than that looking foward to learning as much as I can here as well as giving back what
knowledge I gather along the way.
chipsch
New User
New User

Post by Etelerix on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 am
([msg=26314]see Re: I want to learn - I have learned[/msg])

Here's some cool links for you guys:

For anyone experienced and brave enough to take on the challenge of building an OS:
http://linuxgazette.net/issue85/mahoney.html

For building websites:
http://htmldog.com/
http://www.w3schools.com/

Learn about programming with Python and other languages: http://www.developer.com/article.php/626331
Etelerix
Experienced User
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone